Raleigh Greenway Plan Update

100% agreed. I bike this segment pretty regularly. The current disconnection is very annoying. The proposal is marginally better, but it still involves going on the street instead of the much preferable path that you highlighted.

Sharrows suck. I generally won’t take my kids on them.

Also, widening the sidewalk “as funding permits.” :roll_eyes: Funny, there always seems to be money for cars, but not for people (walkers) or bikes.

13 Likes

I ride this section a lot as well. The sharrows on Lassiter are pointless. I’ve had a couple of close calls because of people passing too close on Lassiter; Especially when we get close to the island at the Greenway. I would definitely prefer the route at the creek level.

1 Like

Agreed. So we’re going to avoid having to cross Lassiter, but we’re still going to have to ride alongside car traffic on Lassiter? Because the second thing is the one that’s much, much scarier to me.

2 Likes

Yeah I’d rather see a wider sidewalk or new ped/bike bridge alongside the existing one rather not have to cross Lassiter. Cars often stop to let me cross the road but riding on the bridge can be sketchy. Riding on Hertford doesn’t bother me though.

1 Like

I believe they plan to redo the Lassiter Mill Rd bridge so it will be like the Glen Eden bridge over the beltline. They will probably remove the turn lane to create a (hopefully) barrier-protected, wider path for greenway users on the west side of the bridge. The only spot you will have to cross paths with traffic will be on Hetford and at the Old Lassiter Mill Rd intersection.

(My idea would have zero intersections with car traffic FWIW)

3 Likes

Minor additions but to a much neglected portion of the Walnut Creek Greenway. They also put in new lights in the Saunders St tunnel within the last month or two which was a solid upgrade. It was a great morning for riding around DTR!

17 Likes

I’m with you on this one. This plan from the city is a joke. It’s municipal ROW. They can easily put a bridge over the creek without touching anyone’s property. Goes to show who the council serves at the end of the day.

Did some greenway cycling yesterday - loop consisting of Crabtree, House, Rocky Branch, Walnut, Nuese and back up Crabtree.About 35 miles.

This is the first time I have ridden the Walnut creek trail. Some comments:

• The tunnel under Hammond is really long and dark. Needs some lighting. Some of the shorter tunnels had lights, but for some reason not this one.
  • A good chunk of Walnut creek trail is under construction. From Rock Quarry to Sunnybrook. Had to take a detour up and around on MLK. Should have looked that up before my ride.
  • Some areas after road crossings it was not real evident where the trail continued. Always found the trail, but some signs would help in this area.
15 Likes

Walnut Creek trail is my usual trail so some details on those:

• The tunnel under Hammond used to have working lights. For some reason the lights haven’t been working for over a month now. In addition, when it heavily rains, it fills up with a bunch of mud. There are two seeclickfix requests open about this, but I sent an email to the department to remind them.

• The trail isn’t actually under construction at all yet, they’ve done nothing in months. I’m “lucky” enough to live right next to the trail where it’s closed. Until they tear up some of the trail to replace the sewer pipe, I’ll probably continue to use the trail, but it can be a bit annoying going around the barriers.

1 Like

I was tempted to go around the barrier, but wasn’t sure the condition of the trail and if half would be torn up and not rideable.

1 Like

Since I’m definitely not the only one going around the barrier, I’ll try to remember to post here when they actually tear up the trail.

2 Likes

Not quite ITB, but looks like a bunch of the Lake Lynn trails are going to be under construction from July 5 to November 30 for improvements: Lake Lynn Loop Trail Improvements

4 Likes

A bit late, but the walnut creek closure is officially real:

4 Likes

Any idea how long it will be closed?

Till June 2023, unfortunately.

Damn, that’s for real torn up. I didn’t realize they were doing that much, I thought it was just a few bits of pipe.

So. Heading east on the trail from Rock Quarry, right after the little bridge/boardwalk but before Apollo Heights Park, there’s a little bitty creek. The creek flows down from the north and then alongside the trail for a little ways and then crosses under the trail before ultimately joining Walnut Creek (I have helpfully included a snippet of satellite imagery with the creek in blue). To my knowledge this little branch has no name but it is my dog’s favorite place to run when it’s warm out, so I call it Lexie’s Branch.

My question…since they’re apparently completely redoing the trail while adjusting the drainage, do you know if they’re going to leave Lexie’s Branch accessible, or is it going to be put into pipes and hidden away so as to prevent flooding? Or do you know how I’d find out the answer to that?

You might find some answers here:

https://www.planscope.com/jobs/1197/plans/upper-walnut-creek-sanitary-sewer-improvements/?preview=60441

Here is the project description, I don’t think they are planning to intentionally bury any streams:

• Furnish and install approximately 18,500 LF of 60-inch fiberglass-reinforced polymer gravity sanitary sewer and reinforced concrete fiberglass-lined gravity sanitary sewer installed by open cut with approximately 80 polymer concrete and T-Base manholes.
  • Furnish and install approximately 300 LF of 62.90-inch OD fiberglass-reinforced polymer jacking pipe installed by microtunneling under Sunnybrook Road and Rock Quarry Road.
  • Furnish and install approximately 6,800 LF of 8- to 12-inch ductile iron gravity sanitary sewer installed by open cut with approximately 50 precast concrete manholes.
  • Furnish and install approximately 1,400 LF of 15- to 42-inch reinforced concrete and high-density polyethylene storm drain pipe, including 11 siphon crossings, head and endwalls, catch basins, trash racks, and a 125 LF constructed boulder rock-and-roll riffle stream restoration.
  • Furnish and install approximately 150 LF of 6- to 12-inch ductile iron water main, including switching over approximately 20 existing water meters to the new main.
  • Furnish and install approximately 200 LF of 16-inch ductile iron reuse water main.
  • Abandon approximately 18,500 LF of existing 42-inch RCP gravity sanitary sewer and 69 existing manholes.
  • Associated pavement and surface restoration, erosion control, bypass pumping,
    and other appurtenances.

This is the view from my front door, they’re really tearing down so much of the greenery:

3 Likes

Stumbled across a project link where the city is constructing the connector from the greenway to Industrial Drive. Expected completion is Spring 2023. Click here for project link

4 Likes

Isn’t this part of the area they’re looking to redevelop into a park?

It is. Looking at page 42, it appears that this will be part of the “Midtown Ring” which includes Industrial Drive. I don’t know if this was prioritized due to the St. Albans Plan (I didn’t see it as part of any priority paths according to the recent greenway update) or what effect the St. Albans Plan has on it. I’ve used the “social path” to get to Wegman’s and the surrounding shops (Office Depot, DSW, etc.) so I’m excited for the actual connection. Industrial Drive has bike lanes so it would be a good connection as it’s only a half mile (4 min bike ride) from the greenway.

Page 67 of the same report indicates that Industrial Drive will be the “Main Street”.

3 Likes