Raleigh In The News around the country/world

This article’s comparing the “percentage of the non-hispanic white population in a county […] to equalize the racial distribution between white and non-white population groups”. So the article and this figure are interesting, but I don’t really buy the authors’ narrative behind that headline.

Since they’re looking at the central county of a metro area -Wake County for Raleigh, King County for Seattle etc.- this article shows nothing about how the size/shape of counties are very different depending on what part of the US you’re in or, more importantly, differences within a county. After all, t doesn’t take a genius and a detective to know you’re less likely to find a Black family strolling around in Morrisville compared to southeast Raleigh.

Since that sort of context gets lost in numbers like these, I think the authors make it easy to have a wrong, rose-tinted impression of how (de)segregated Raleigh is :confused:

5 Likes

Not to mention that cities like Richmond aren’t even in a county, and are independent cities from their suburbs in adjacent counties.

2 Likes

That was your take? Wow. That’s not at all what this study (for its definite flaws) or anti-segregation advocates are saying. And I know my friends from Buffalo would be pretty surprised by your claim.

12 posts were merged into an existing topic: Gentrification and Displacement

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/state/north-carolina/article245232710.html

Forbes has Raleigh as one of the top places to retire. Guest appearances from Winston-Salem and Asheville

5 Likes

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Side Project: Mapping Housing Restrictions in Raleigh

This is one of the best videos showing off Raleigh (in 2020) I’ve seen so far. Ignore the subject of the video (realty) and just take in the quality video b-roll and the tourism/info about Raleigh.

Now if we can only get a purely tourism video of this caliber out.

9 Likes

Raleigh is the number one real estate market in the US for real estate investment and development according to the well-regarded Urban Land Institute - PWC Emerging Trends report!

This is a pretty big deal bc this is one of the best known commercial real estate reports that comes out each year. Last year Raleigh was number 2 after Austin and this year they swapped with Raleigh number 1 and Austin number 2.

This type of exposure can be self-reinforcing with more investors and institutions putting the Triangle on their radar.

Link below is to the Nashville Business Journal. I’m sure a TBJ article will be out soon.

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2020/10/14/uli-pwc-emerging-trends-real-estate-2021-survey.html?iana=hpmvp_nsh_news_headline

14 Likes

That’s great news and publicity!
I couldn’t find any 2021 PWC ULI report yet

1 Like

They usually give a copy to the press for articles a day or two before they release the full report to the public.

1 Like

Here it is:
https://americas.uli.org/research/centers-initiatives/center-for-capital-markets/emerging-trends-in-real-estate/americas/

Top five markets are:

1. Raleigh/Durham
  2. Austin
  3. Nashville
  4. Dallas/Fort Worth
  5. Charlotte

They rank 80 markets. Atlanta is 11, Charleston is 23, Greenville, SC is 26.

11 Likes

Raleigh was named the #1 overall and the #1 housing market.

2 Likes

Has anyone posted this?

12 Likes

It looks like you have! :wink:

3 Likes

Don’t know about the validity of this as NYC and LA top this list but I’ll take it. Austin ranked 17th.

6 Likes
6 Likes

Where is this “Raleigh-Durham” city you speak of? :upside_down_face:
:grin:

1 Like

Who are 1-4? I suspect that we are on the smaller side (by population) among the top 5.

Google searching…

https://www.cbre.us/research-and-reports/US-Life-Sciences-Report-2020

• Boston-Cambridge, the San Francisco Bay Area and San Diego remain the nation’s top three life sciences clusters, while Pittsburgh, Houston and Austin are top new emerging ones.

DC/Baltimore was #4.

2 Likes

They got Dallas/Ft. Worth but not Raleigh/Durham. This is a grave injustice!!!1

1 Like