Raleigh In The News around the country/world

Nice article

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2019/lifestyle/vacation-ideas/things-to-do-in-raleigh/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.841a3264c89e

“I hadn’t visited Raleigh for any length of time since I was a kid but had a sense that it was a staid state capital, the cultural underdog of the Research Triangle. (Its other points being Chapel Hill and Durham.) As I biked around, eating, shopping and talking to locals, I realized that if my assessment wasn’t already outdated it would be, soon.”

15 Likes

Ironically the CitrixCycle bicycles are still not here from what I can see from the GoRaleigh Bus Station bike station. Hopefully by Spring?

love the article. But I found it funny that she called the Warehouse District “arguably the most vibrant part of town.” Perhaps it could be considered visually vibrant, but in terms of activity it seemed deserted every time I’ve walked around The Dillon at night. I’m really excited for this to change as the area gets denser and more residences move in.

What does everyone else consider to be the most vibrant part of the city? I’d say it’s probably the part of downtown bound by The Raleigh Times, Beasley’s, and Bhavana.

2 Likes

That’s a very nice article.

Probably that or Glenwood South.

2 Likes

It would have to be Glenwood South, it is in fact the most active part of DTR, and for sure the warehouse district will very soon follow, connecting the Two districts. NOTE : I had just read part of the article of the washington post “Why you should visit Raleigh”… I had to seriously think for a minute…and came to the reality that, after leaving my Hometown of NYC ( Brooklyn ) and moving to Raleigh it has a bit of SoHo slash San Fran feel to it. meaning san francisco if anyone was wondering…pockets of the many neighborhoods like back home but not as many stores that are nearby, here in Raleigh you have to drive a ways rather than walking a few city blocks. And after the Culture Shock of having to have a car to get around, Raleigh is a place that is growing and evolving over time. there is a saying back in NYC…If you can make it here…you can make it anywhere, You can make it in RALEIGH :wink::+1:

Yeah, Glenwood South is definitely the most active, but it wouldn’t fit the vibe of a D.C. journalist. It’s probably too new and vanilla compared to the more visually interesting and centrally located haunts in town that have emerged out of an older stock of buildings. A lot of Glenwood South is too new for that sort of taste. Thinking of it off the top of my head, only the Creamery, Powerhouse and that building where Clouds is have scale and the sort of pedigree that was threading through that article. 222, West, Paramount, The Gramercy, Tucker (both of them), St. Mary’s Square, Hampton Inn & Suites, 500 & 510 Glenwood, and the emerging Smokey Hollow projects dominate the Glenwood South neighborhood, and they are all new to downtown this Century. Smaller buildings dot Glenwood with some character like the strip where The Rockford is, the Hibernian,etc., and there are certainly still some vintage bungalows in the hood, but they don’t dominate.

1 Like

2019 Top 100 Best Places To Live

Raleigh #2. However, this is a really lame line up. Many of those places are duds in cold climates with negative growth rates, like pretty much anything in SD/ND/MN/NE/WI.
Just another silly list site. But it’s fun to read it and laugh at the choices.

https://livability.com/list/top-100-best-places-to-live/2019/10?page=0

5 Likes

I just checked (Wikipedia) and all the cities listed have gained population since the last census except for Pittsburgh but the decline seems to be leveling out. No offense to you because its widespread around here but this attitude infuriates me - that the only places worth living in are warm weather climates. I’m so sick of people apologizing to me for being from Buffalo. Pittsburgh is a great place, Milwuakee is a great place, Buffalo is a great place - all of which are infinitely more urban/walkable than Raleigh.

5 Likes

I lived in Buffalo for a bit about 20 years ago. Great city with great people. It gets a bad rep because of the cold and snow. But I really enjoyed the time I was living up there.

2 Likes

I’d move back in a heart beat but I married a local who doesn’t handle the cold very well.

Actually it’s hard to find any metros in the America’s top 100 that are negative. Thanks for the correction. I’ve been on lots of trips to the midwest recently, and those cities are great: Milwaukee, Chicago, Grand Rapids, Cleveland. Such a bonus to have a river through town.

Here is a short story on a Raleigh redevelopment from Architects + Artisans. I believe someone here turned me on to this site, its on my weekend read list, so thank you whoever you are.

After I posted this link, the very next story is also about Raleigh and the NCMA.

4 Likes

Thanks for posting this. I’ve been a big fan of the work of Audubon since I was a small child. Stoked for the potential to see this exhibit in person.

1 Like
5 Likes

Durham and Raleigh make the list, aka Raleigh-Durham should be #1

7 Likes
10 Likes

I’m gonna be kinda picky, but Raleigh’s population in its city limit is like 470,000, not 432,000.

4 Likes

It’s not being nit-picky; it’s actual data. I’m with you on that!

4 Likes

The Triangle area ranks high again…

9 Likes