Raleigh In The News around the country/world

Best city to drive in 2019.

4 Likes

That is why I laugh when people complain about how bad traffic is here… it is much worse in about every place I have lived or visited.

7 Likes

This is my gripe on the local government here, and I know that that I’m making assumptions here, but I think that very few elected officials in Raleigh have any kind of a reference outside of the area or the state.

4 Likes

I get the same feeling. Which is disappointing, since they have opportunities. The Chamber does an inter-city visit every year where they have the opportunity to go and learn and discuss best practices from business leaders, government officials, and non-profits in other cities. Last year they went to Seattle and earlier this year they went to Nashville. Of the current councilors, only Nicole, Russ, and Corey attended.

ETA: here’s the list of cities they’ve visited: https://www.raleighchamber.org/previous-locations.html

4 Likes

Raleigh has been featured twice (Benchwarmers and Heirloom) in this years America’s Best New Restaurants from Bon Appetit. Durham as well and so has Asheville.

Charlotte unsurprising missing from the list.

8 Likes

Oh the shade on Charlotte! Love it.

3 Likes

Grrr…

St. Louis is just listed as St. Louis
Denver is just listed as Denver
Providence…Providence
Nashville… Nashville

Raleigh however is listed as Raleigh, NC

4 Likes

No media presence. Let’s just be happy the nation is now coming to terms that Raleigh-Durham is not a city.

14 Likes

At least they got the state right? I’ve had people from the Northeast think Raleigh is in SC.

4 Likes

If we ever get our filming industry back I would love to see a show or movie that takes place in Raleigh.

Atlanta is enjoying a resurgence in recognition thanks to North Carolina giving away our filming industry.

2 Likes

I hope you demanded an immediate retraction of those slanderous words.

3 Likes

That happens to Charlotte a lot actually.

2 Likes

It’s ok. I have a buddy that came down from Michigan a couple weeks ago and was talking to me about the Panthers and kept saying “Charlotte, SC” until I explained that it was NC but the metro spilled over into SC. Lol.

1 Like

Maybe @UncleJesse has it right with Charlotte, USA

1 Like

I would take a cold winter in the northeast over summer in Texas or Arizona any time.

I suspect as it gets hotter in those places, many of those folks will reconsider the long-term viability of living there.

2 Likes

It couldn’t happen to a nicer place.

1 Like

Seems I recall a push a while back by Charlotte Boosters to combine NC and SC and declare Charlotte the Capital. LOL

This just dropped…

‘ $2.3 billion in new development planned for downtown Raleigh’

(But, we already knew this.)

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/counties/wake-county/article235005797.html

5 Likes

Most people are geographic morons. It’s usually not personal.

RDU listed as one of the top US expansion routes for Virgin Atlantic*.

If the Heathrow expansion takes place and Heathrow airport authority agrees to favorable terms with Virgin. Still it’s nice that we’re included.

10 Likes