Raleigh In The News around the country/world

oh my oh my, bet there are some green faces in charlotte being it’s not on the list. (yep know should have used “C” just did not feel like it)

1 Like

Big if they can make it happen!

Red are expansion cities, Black are new cities:
2019-09-18%2017_34_28-Virgin%20Atlantic%20Reveals%20MASSIVE%20Growth%20Aspirations%20_%20One%20Mile%20at%20a%20Time1

Interesting how they don’t have Charlotte, USA but they do have Raleigh Durham, USA :grin:

5 Likes

Raleigh/Durham came in second after Austin as US Real Estate markets to watch:

“Raleigh/Durham, ranked number
two overall, has been seeing impressive investment in its suburban office
and multifamily sectors. Moreover, this
metro market topped the rankings for
homebuilding prospects. This market’s
concentration of educational institutions—
Duke University, the University of North
Carolina, North Carolina State University,
and several smaller colleges—coupled
with the Research Triangle Park, has
branded the area as a technology mecca,
and it now has more than 89,000 tech
jobs, which, at 10.9 percent of the employment base, ranks third behind Silicon
Valley and San Francisco in tech industry
share, according to a recent Tech Cities
report. Our national “buy/hold/sell” (BHS)
survey ratifies the optimism, particularly
for offices and multifamily assets.”

6 Likes

If this were to happen, it would likely be at the expense of the AA flight.

I think Virgin (Branson) just really likes to challenge BA/AA and looked for routes where they have a monopoly and offer a second flight

I agree, but AA under its current management doesn’t aggressively defend its turf the way it used to. Unless we are talking about DFW or CLT, AA will likely cede the route. Also, two carriers on Heathrow is overkill for RDU for now.

As I read the report, none of this is going to happen until after new runway at Heathrow is build, so guessing at best 5 years away. At rate RDU is growing it may support 2 airlines going to Heathrow.

2 Likes

We need a second Schengen route like Frankfurt or Amsterdam. We only have CDG. I hate going through UK Passport Control absolutely terrible.

5 Likes

It might be bad, but it still doesn’t compare to the awful experience of a non-schengen to schengen connection at CDG.

On a trip to Scotland last month it was a breeze, just stick passport into a scanner and walk on in. So talking to anyone, but arrr no stamp either.

Apparently Raleigh has the highest “Equitable Mobility Index” score based on Twitter data showing Raleigh residents have the highest average of social connections across the city’s various geographic areas. The article mentions that smaller size cities like Raleigh probably do well on this score due to “the basic fact that it is harder to visit more neighborhoods in larger cities” but that it doesn’t explain more than half the score, and Raleigh still did better than any other city (large or small) on this measure, so still good for Raleigh.

7 Likes

Ha - definitely adding “Equitable Mobility Index” to raleighipsum.com.

It’s interesting that Raleigh isn’t even mentioned in the story given its position that’s visibly evident on the graph. Raleigh’s clearly not part of a cluster. Richard Florida mentions that Miami is an outlier in its position, but so is Raleigh.
Then again, I’m not particularly surprised that Raleigh isn’t mentioned. I’ve been following Richard Florida for years and years and years, and he seems to become increasingly sour on Raleigh over time. Richard’s bias is toward strong urbanism and he usually pursues narratives that positively correlates to it. Raleigh and its often positive data, doesn’t always fit neatly into them.

2 Likes
3 Likes

Raleigh has the 5th lowest risk of a housing downturn in a recession

3 Likes

I’m not sure how much the NC government spends on biotech, but I know MA spent about $1B in public money starting in 2008 to build the life science industry. That’s a big part of their success. Assuming NC spends a lot less (I know the NC Biotech center exists), that makes the Triangle’s performance even more impressive.

4 Likes
8 Likes

Just read it, nice article

3 Likes

Fun facts.

6 Likes

So, the 4th largest amount came from New York, and the largest number were half-backs from NY via Florida? :wink:

4 Likes