Raleigh needs an attraction!

Pretty much Durham County is the city limits of Durham lol.

Big difference here compared to Georgia with how the city / county structure works. Almost everything in Georgia is run on the county level outside of the downtowns. Makes things so complicated

An official told me before Drive Shack open during members of the media only soft opening I got to go to told me after I said to him, “I heard something like this called TopGolf what happened to that” And he replied, “They applied for land to put a TopGolf, but the city denied them from getting a permit and approval to build the building”. But when Drive Shack came the city approved almost instantly it almost even though it was lesser-known.

That council of No was example of off brand attractions that no one has heard of and want bring value to the city. (through DriveShack no longer has that title).

2 Likes

It was Cary that originally denied Top Golf approval. Top Golf originally wanted to go near crossroads and Cary denied it. Then they wanted to go to Cary Town Center and Cary denied it. Then they picked a location on Page road which is in Durham. You’ve got to stop blaming Raleigh for this one. If Top Golf had picked the site where Drive Shack is it would have been approved.

4 Likes

Found this PDF from Oct 2020 on a market study for the 4901 Page Rd site for TopGolf.

The land was purchased in late 2019. So I guess this is still a go potentially.

https://durhamnc.gov/DocumentCenter/View/34286/B2000012-Suppermental-Information-Impact-on-Neighboring-Property-Values

1 Like

Yeah, around the Triangle it’s cities that control water lines. If you want even suburban density, you need water service, and so you need to be annexed into a city/town.

The counties don’t figure much into land use politics as a result.

2 Likes

Makes sense. All municipal services are county run down there. Except City of Atlanta / Fulton county who have some of their own things.

Here it comes!

9 Likes

Hrm…not what I was thinking. Can’t we kind of call the Devereux Meadow Park a future “waterfront”?

1 Like

Bring it on…continue the Midtown wave! :relaxed:

3 Likes

CBS17 and Raleigh magazine a little late on the news? This is why I like site like dtraleigh.com (wink). You learn about the developments before it comes out in the news. Realistically I’m sure there was a mention before, but something to bring back up.

I’ve actually seen a guy kayak on Crabtree Creek. I’m sure a waterfront park would work, but I wonder how big the “waterfront” would be. Would this be waterfront only on super rainy days?

Either way I think this will be a great addition for the area.

8 Likes

I Suspect the Crabtree Waterfront will be ether a inch or two of clear water trickling over rocks, preferred, or 8ft of muddy flood and not much in between. Not that saying it’s a bad idea. At lease will not be the San Antonio sticking trench that they market as attraction.
(will admit been 20+ years since I was there in mid summer so may have been cleaned up)

There was a similar “Canal” in Indy when I went up there for a race a few years ago. IMO it was pretty cool, it reminded me of the canal in Richmond, which was an actual working canal back pre railroad days. Not sure about the history behind the one in Indy, but I think I read somewhere that it was built as an attraction and didn’t have any real historical significance.

1 Like

I remember the area of the C&O canal in Georgetown section of DC as having some restaurants and other attractions, but do not recall it being widely promoted as and attractions. (again from long time ago from when I lived in DC area in mid 1970’s)

EDIT - just check on Google and looks like most of the canal is dry with bushes growing in it !!! :sob:

Aw I like the Riverwalk. Definitely still has its muddy days though. Apparently because it’s a real mud-bottomed river it would be nearly impossible to totally clean up.

It’s been brought up before, but OKC has a nice canal area as well

4 Likes

Started in 1836 during the canal boom following the completion & success of the Erie Canal, it was intended to run about 290 miles to connect the Wabash & Erie Canal with the Ohio river. Indiana went bankrupt and work stopped with 9 miles being useful. The city refurbished it the early 80’s, and its proved to be a wildly successful attraction. Credit to Historic Indianapolis:

4 Likes

Here is a rendering of the proposed Raleigh ‘waterfront’. It looks like the City of Raleigh is thinking big, so that’s at least a good sign.

7 Likes

I really do hope that St. Albans ends up like north hills. I want to see at least one 30 story building.

4 Likes

I was in DC earlier this year (July). The canal had water in it (if it’s the same one I was at just below M street).

2 Likes

Was there this weekend, definitely had water.

1 Like