Raleigh Stadium/Arena/Sports Discussions

Rhino’s would be my top pick. Of course, I’ll need a $25,000 consulting fee to come up with that.

1 Like

FYI there is a semi-pro, possibly minor league soccer team where I’m from called the Rochester Rhinos that used to be pretty well known for being good.

1 Like

How about Raleigh Zebra Cobra’s…? Lol :rofl:

9 Likes

I saw the logo for Raleigh’s bid for the 2027 World University Games was revealed; also,

South Korea is bidding to host as well!

11 Likes

I like how State Red, Duke Blue, and Carolina Blue are appropriately located relative to each other, among the greater logo shapes.

11 Likes

Looks like the US’ university sports federation introduced the logo back in May. Does anyone know of any more details about our bid beyond their one poorly-made flyer?

Also, if you’re also curious about South Korea’s bid: it’s based in the Chungcheong region, which includes Sejong -where the national government wants to turn into their second capital city. That article claims they’d need fewer facilities to host more people for these Games than the Triangle, and can use a major high-speed rail line to get athletes and staff in and out of the country. The South Korean government would probably be super-motivated to make their bid win and raise the prestige of their multibillion-dollar investment.

You’d think Chungcheong could meet FISU’s goals of “legacy, vision, and sustainability” better, but you’d be glossing over its awkward urban planning, shallow history of cooperation across local governments, and one of its cities’ incomplete subway lines by saying that. If South Korea ends up being our only bid competitor, I think the Triangle might still have a fighting chance -IF we tell the right story about ourselves.

5 Likes

The Triangle hosted the US Olympic Festival back in 87 when the Triangle was WAY smaller, and had fewer venues. This should easily be something that we can pull off.

6 Likes

I googled to see South Korea is moving much of their administrative government to Sejong City. Are we going to lose the games to the Rocky Mount of South Korea?

Video about the 1987 festival. They talk about the AA hub opening and I-40 opening to Chapel Hill. If you got 20 mins it’s pretty interesting!

6 Likes

Thanks! I’m going to watch it.
Fun fact: I was one of the mascots for the games.

5 Likes

I’m curious what kind of capacities the Universaide needs for the venues. I’m sure Raleigh’s proposed athletics (track and field) venue is Dail Soccer/Track Complex on NC State’s campus. That’s a great track, but the attendance capacity is only 3,000. Just based on some Wikipedia research, it looks like at least the last four Universaides have had athletics venues with capacities of more than 20,000. That seems rather higher than they would need, but I wonder if 3,000 might be kind of small for what they’re looking for? Temporary seating could get you a little bit more capacity, but probably not vastly more.

Just FYI for folks who aren’t track fans, a track surface is bigger than a soccer or football pitch. You can fit a football field inside a track, but not vice versa. So you couldn’t hold the track events at Carter-Finley Stadium or something like that. You’d pretty much have to hold it at Dail, and then it would just be up to the FISU to decide if that works for them or not.

5 Likes

Maybe if the MLS stadium gets built they can have a track installed as well?

As cool as that would be, I don’t think that’s realistic. Final bid selections are supposed to be announced next spring. I can’t see MLS announcing a league expansion and/or an existing team deciding to move to Raleigh and have that stadium be ready to host this sort of event in the next 8 months. There’s a reason why FISU specifically asked to use existing venues.

The map on their flyer lists cities that will host each event. It doesn’t list specific venues, but maybe that’ll give us some clues -including how the Dail complex won’t be used. Duke’s track facility only seats 500 people permanently, but does seem to have plenty of room for temporary seats; the map makes it look like that could be the organizing committee’s game plan:

This also makes me wonder if the Games only needs big, dozen-thousand-seat stadiums for their opening ceremonies rather than actual events.

EDIT: Looks like FISU may have a reason to pay special attention to American bids: a desire to tap into the NCAA’s market. That’s another interesting narrative we could take advantage of, perhaps, once the competitive process starts this September.

3 Likes

I think that Mr. Malik is seriously considering having a track as part of the stadium project . He has mention to me football , track , lacrosse app. 6 to 8 months ago .

4 Likes

I was lucky enough to get 5th row seats on the 50 yard line for the the opening ceremonies. I was very proud we were able to land this event in Raleigh. I was worried I was going to pass out from the summer heat though.

2 Likes

Bad idea. As mentioned above, tracks are much bigger, and therefore requires a much bigger stadium (footprint wise). Also, it puts the fans further away from the field.

4 Likes

Wallace Wade at Dook had a track outside the football field - did they take that out during their last big renovation?

1 Like

Huh. That seems to make very little sense. I don’t think any of the soccer-specific stadiums built recently can accommodate a track.

1 Like

This is just my opinion . It could be a positive gesture concerning the multi-use stadium to help receive the TIG Tax help . I don’t know ? I do know that at one time , Shaw Leaders met with Mr. Kane .

1 Like

Huh, that is surprising. I’m honestly a little perplexed by the plan to host track and field in Durham. To answer @pBeez question, they removed the track from Wallace Wade Stadium so they could move the seats closer to the football field, so that’s not an option. And NC Central’s track is next to its football field, but does not have seating around the track.

Somebody should just call up the number on the flyer and see if anybody from the committee wants to come to this website and answer all of our questions. We could start even start a new thread if they wanted.

8 Likes