Raleigh Stadium/Arena/Sports Discussions

Dundon has taken full ownership of the Canes

https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2021/06/30/dundon-assumes-full-ownership-of-hurricanes.html?ana=e_trig_bn_breakingnews_breakingnews&j=90564568&t=Breaking%20News&mkt_tok=NjczLVVXWS0yMjkAAAF9_iIZWNso_FW_QojBecp4MJpGA2aIwlAquHXoObwPWNXOghSJGwdfYuc1oY5aF6bEEZiujYYtcvVEXeC-_WWdJRrJse3pnYnUmjqLC_4aNts2U_O-McI

Edit to add free ESPN article. Now sole owner of franchise, Tom Dundon determined to see his Carolina Hurricanes 'compete every year for the Stanley Cup'

11 Likes

Canes and PNC arena deal finalized through 2029. I thought this was already finalized but it wasnā€™t in firm writing I guess if Iā€™m reading it right.

Sliding scale down from 31 million in 2024 to 0 in 2029 if the team were to leave. I must say, even if they inked a downtown stadium deal tomorrow, the earliest itā€™d open is probably 2025 and at that point 20 million is nothing to a billionaire.

Also within, hints at wanting to further develop the stadium area as well as Dundonā€™s former wish to explore a downtown stadium and his disdain about how slow development in the stadium area has taken off.

They also hint at wanting a new naming rights deal. They current get $4 million a year for the PNC which seems really low for a major arena.

My takeaways: Iā€™m thinking our downtown stadium dreams are fading but I feel like something may finally be coming big development wise at the current arena.

https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2021/07/06/centennial-authority-set-to-approve-new-hurricanes.html?ana=e_trig_bn_breakingnews_breakingnews&j=90565004&t=Breaking%20News&mkt_tok=NjczLVVXWS0yMjkAAAF-HLbMo35SgJ9STxQa51YsXfbXruVuQm0HXrEKRF1kIo7RBFZD9EdoyRf_H3y4RqHwQ4_8StjjbVFsF0rUrAG1829ckch7Ekmn8oJKlzuTX3nGFqZOyxs

16 Likes

Good find sir. I think some of the parking at PNC is going to be eventually developed into a ā€œnorth Hillsā€ like development. Which would be huge for not only the area but to draw more fans.

8 Likes

I think a dense development could be great here and Iā€™m not sure how it hasnā€™t happened yet. Great interstate access, close to future BRT and rail, and positioned to where you can attract people easily from Cary and even Durham if you have the right shops and restaurants in place. Hopefully they take notes from The Atlanta Battery.

10 Likes

I think that was long range plan when they built it 20 some years ago. Just never materialized.

5 Likes

This kind of ties in to the conversation weā€™ve been having about the Blue Ridge Corridor. Hopefully something is happening behind the scenes to turn this area into something a little less sprawly. Should the Wake Transit Plan come to full fruition, youā€™ll eventually have all of the following routes converging on the Fairgrounds/Arena area:

GoCary 9A, 9B
GoRaleigh 9, 11L, 26, 27
GoTriangle 100, 301, 305, CRX
Wolfline 6
Western Blvd BRT
Durham-Clayton Commuter Rail

All of those routes will have stops at one of the two pinpointed transfer points below except for GoRaleigh 26, GoTriangle CRX, and Wolfline 6 (unless their routing changes). The GoTriangle 300 and DRX will have been replaced by BRT and commuter rail, respectively.

All that to say, thatā€™s a lot of transit converging on a single area to not have more density, especially considering that three of these routes will be coming every fifteen minutes or less. For context, the second-densest area in Raleigh city limits (North Hills/Midtown) is currently only slotted for like five or six routes total (with potential for both BRT and regional rail further down the road).

Itā€™d be such a shame to let the Fairgrounds/Arena area remain a series of parking lots. Build a garage or two on the arena property and letā€™s get that area activated. Give folks a reason to get to games early and hang around after. Give them a reason to visit during the day, even when thereā€™s nothing on the schedule. Take advantage of the space!

9 Likes

Another article about the new lease, with some discussion about the possibility of a different location in the future.

https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/nhl/carolina-hurricanes/article252630468.html

2 Likes

Weā€™re losing our college sports as unc men and women is gonna play in that other Nic city for an invitational in Dec. 2022. Raleigh need to start getting aggressive, defensive, and competitive. We cannot let Raleigh have everything stolen from us.

Huh - They are playing a tournament. Not moving their campus. Or did I miss something?

5 Likes

The General Assembly wants to move UNC to Rocky Mount. :wink:

3 Likes

I have some very troubling news for you about the extremely lengthy history of UNCā€™s basketball team playing regular season tournaments in Charlotte.

2 Likes

Someone better call 9-11, cause @daviddonovan about to give me a heart attack!!!

Way back when, it used to be the Pepsi Tournament of Champions. UNC has a large alumni and fan base in Charlotte, so it was done in part for their benefit.

1 Like

Thereā€™s your answer. Follow the money.

1 Like

Its a freaking tournament. We (UNC Grad) play tournaments all over the country every year. Bahamas, Maui, NYCā€¦ā€¦in none of these cases are we moving the campuses of UNC or NC State

Remember when UNC-State was played at the Panther stadium? Fun games.

3 Likes

ECU opens the football season against App State at Bank of America this fall.

3 Likes

Chill. Itā€™s a joke.

:tarheel: :tuffy:

4 Likes

I was in the State marching band for two of those games :wink:

2 Likes

TBJ currently has a poll up asking if people want the Hurricanes to get a new arena. Current results are:

51% No
40% Yes
8% The issue deserves discussion

https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2021/07/12/tbj-plus-nc-park-lands-on-top-airbnb-list.html

1 Like