Raleigh Stadium/Arena/Sports Discussions

I think if someone were giving me 10 years as the over / under on Kane’ / Malik’s DoToSo…
I’d take the over and not be too worried about it significantly cannibalizing DTR.
If someone were to suggest that DTSouth has a more aggressive timeline, then I might start to worry a bit while smiling through my skepticism…

6 Likes

Jacksonville also gets a lot of speculation on the team being moved. I’m not sure what you are looking for however. Whether Buffalo’s 50-year old stadium is the best or not, it’s mostly agreed it’s shelf-life has come to a natural end. Whether Buffalo and NY pony up a billion, or if they get concessions from the Pegulas is the next question. And it’s a fair question, whatever your loyalties.

1 Like

You are embarrassing the💩out of him

Frankly, with a population of only about double NC’s, I don’t see how Florida supports 3 NFL teams anyway.

1 Like

I agree and think that DTR has the competition of NH’s as well, now DTS :frowning_face:

2 Likes

Jacksonville: Never has done much and has always been a bit suspect and is one of the smallest overall markets.
Tampa: Has had tepid fan support when the team has been bad (early 80s-mid 90s & most of the 2010s) and literally had to build a superteam to be relevant.
Miami: Has been a mess since the Robbie estate sold the team to Huizenga and has coasted mainly because of the 20+ year head start they have over everyone else.

NC seems heavily un-pro sported in contrast to similarly sized states.

3 Likes

I compare NC to ohio and Pennsylvania. They pretty much have 2 of everything but we get looked at crazy for wanting the same.

3 Likes

Thus are the advantages of being in a state with “old” cities whose teams go back decades or in the case of MLB over a century.

8 Likes

That’s very true. Both GA and NC could have a claim to a second NFL team, but of the two, only NC has a second distinct metro that could possibly support one.

7 Likes

For a long time Austin was seen as no man’s land for pros, due (in part) to the University of Texas. Maybe that is being relooked at. Maybe the Triangle’s college handicap will also be relooked at.

Our other handicap is lack of corporate activity. We have plenty branches, not a lot of headquarters.

2 Likes

The challenge with the Triangle’s resume is that there are 3, Power 5 conference teams in the metro, not just one like Austin. In the Triangle, there are already about 160,000 football seats to fill.

4 Likes

How bout we (over the next decade or two when this all could actually happen) build a hockey arena downtown, soccer stadium DoSo and redevelop the PNC Arena area as an NFL stadium.
:man_shrugging:t3:

13 Likes

I mean, kinda. But let’s be clear, the 3 local schools combined probably only slightly outdraw Texas. And I’m sure UT football tickets suck out more dollars from Austin than our football programs do here.

UT has about 100,000 seats. Based on the linked story below, the 3 Triangle schools average over 132,000 per game in total, and this is based on data before Brown turned around the UNC program. I’m sure that you can add 10,000 to that average going forward. Austin is both larger and faster growing than the Triangle and its nearby metro area of S.A. is significantly larger than the Triad. I still think it’s a pipe dream that the Triangle could support a NFL team. https://www.si.com/college/ncstate/college/ncstate/football/ncstate-football-acc-stadium-attendance-rankings
When the Triangle reaches the 3,000,000 mark (probably 2040-ish), I think that a case could made for the NFL.

3 Likes

Of the big 5 (nfl, nba, mlb, mls, nhl) I think NFL would be the last and least likely to ever land here. You could arguably make a case for all 4 of the others right now though.

7 Likes

I think that the NBA would be another difficult draw with some of the best college ball in the nation in our metro. Again, when the metro reaches 3 million, I think that could change.

2 Likes

As someone who has never cared a single moment about College Basketball, I would love love love to have a home NBA team to see and root for… one that is actually good. I’d even settle for not terrible. Lookin’ at you, Bobcats

1 Like

I think that the best shot for a NFL stadium in Raleigh is continued improvements/upgrades to Carter-Finley and sharing the facility like in other cities. Replicating the suites tower on the east side to match the west side suites and press box, and adding permanent seats plus a full upper level of the north end zone could easily push capacity over 70,000.
Again, I don’t think that the NFL is in Raleigh’s near future, so these sorts of upgrades would likely be driven by NC State alone if warranted.

2 Likes

As so one who lives for college basketball, I don’t care a wit about the NBA. One of the many difficulties I’ve got with pro-ball is I can’t ever get over where these great athletes played their college ball! :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

Not all stadium seats are equal. I think $10 and a coke bottle gets you entry into Wallace Wade. Texas football is a much higher bar to hurdle for an NFL team.

I agree the NBA would be a higher threshold for us. Baseball in 5 years, nfl in 20. Make it so.

1 Like