Raleigh Stadium/Arena/Sports Discussions

They absolutely your should, make it an area for MLB in Raleigh, and entertainment district Malik should convert it to a city private-public partnership. A billionaire would have a stellar time moving here.

I haven’t been to a Mudcats game (or Bulls) in years but my point is where is the City (noticeably absent again) saying "Hey, why don’t we explore a downtown minor league stadium for the Mudcats?!!’

2 Likes

Aren’t we blocked by a distance rule from the Bulls?..or is that an urban myth?

Not anymore. Major League Baseball has change part of this rule when they took over the minor leagues. A new minor league team from scratch would have to be approved by The Bulls but a existing minor league team can relocate to Raleigh.

2 Likes

When the podcast MLB Raleigh is the first topics. But I can’t do anything right cause I have COVID.

Durham also just offers a better experience both in-game and pre/post-game, overall. It’s Triple-A vs. Single-A so the quality of play is higher (including plenty of guys who are fringe MLB players), the ticket prices are about the same but the sightlines are better, concessions are better, neighborhood around the ballpark is WAY better, and the focus is on the game rather than the 150-decibel sound effects you get after every pitch at the Mudcats game. We lived in Wendell for a while and still attended more Bulls games than Mudcats games even though Five County was about a 10-minute ride for us.

3 Likes

Is there a path for the Mudcats to get to Triple A?

Bringing in a MiLB team feels like it would be waiving the white flag on any chance of MLB, even though that seems like pipedream.

1 Like

Doubtful. The Mudcats are affiliated with the Brewers, whose AAA team is the Nashville Sounds. I guess hypothetically if Nashville got a MLB team they’d have to move the Sounds somewhere.

1 Like

Raleigh Sounds…great /s…

2 Likes

College game seems to be going well…

https://twitter.com/SHIV4N/status/1627823843799707649?s=20

3 Likes

It was amazing. 25,000 attendance. Couple drunk kids were a drop on the bucket.

…oh and State hung a touchdown on UNC to win 7-3

16 Likes

Those players were living their best lives. I bet that nobody expected to be watched by more people than can it in PNC. What a showing Raleigh. Kudos!

5 Likes

Out of curiosity, I was reading the IcePack’s website and the story that announced the game back in January. It stated that the programs (I suppose both State and Carolina) are self funded and the cost for the stadium game was $10,000, part of which was sponsored. The story mentioned a suggested donation of $10 for the game. With 24,000 fans in attendance, I wonder how much the programs raised? For both clubs’ sakes, I hope they did well and lined their coffers with some spare $$$.

9 Likes

Hopefully they got a portion of the beer sales. Lines were long all game :smile: (not a complaint, only noting many beers were purchased)

3 Likes

I can’t imagine that a club hockey team was able to negotiate a % of beer sales from the operators. Their website says “Donations can be made at the door, through this site or via Venmo @IcepackNCState.” I’ve really enjoyed the interviews I’ve seen with some of the players. They were truly blown away by the fans and the experience.

2 Likes

My younger brother and his friends went last night too.

7 Likes

I had fun. It was no Bills Mafia tailgate but Raleigh did their best. Jake Owen sucked, lovelytheband was better. I headed into the stadium around 7:15 and they were making people take their belts off TSA style. Seems they abandoned that soon after. I was able to smuggle beers into the fan fest, they were in my hoodie pocket and looked like a pipe bomb. Set the alarms off twice and they let me through.

Am I the only person who is shaking their head when they read this article about expanding the CC 'because of the economic impact it provides…" The article literally quotes officials talking about the financial impact it provides downtown businesses.

Yet, we are talking spending millions on a suburban arena…WTF

https://www.newsobserver.com/entertainment/article272557730.html

2 Likes
12 Likes

The MLS commissioner stated they’re going to announce team #30 by the end of the year with the front runners being Las Vegas and San Diego.

Interesting tidbit was that he said he wouldn’t rule out future expansion past 30 teams. The article mentions potential expansion cities as Tampa, Sacramento, Detroit, and Phoenix.

4 Likes