Raleigh Stadium/Arena/Sports Discussions

Interesting random conversation I found on Reddit from another capital city that moved their arena downtown.

6 Likes

There was a watch party of sorts in Moore Square. Walked by just before the game started. 2 food trucks. Looked small at that point but maybe people were going for dinner first then to go watch.

1 Like

It would have seemed to me that they’d try for Scotty McCreery if there were going the country route. He’s a local, went to NC State, and would have brought more city brand recognition to the event.

5 Likes

12 Likes

I haven’t been to a Mudcats game (or Bulls) in years but my point is where is the City (noticeably absent again) saying "Hey, why don’t we explore a downtown minor league stadium for the Mudcats?!!’

3 Likes

The game was awesome, hoping we get it again in the future! However, it was really poorly organized getting through the gates. Not one person checked your tickets and ever metal detector was buzzing and no one was getting stopped. Kind of wish I didn’t purchase a ticket, easily could have just walked in. Maybe it was just the entrance I went through but thought it was sort of strange. Also the 3 people I asked about where my seats where had no idea. Ended up just walking down the stairs and found and few open spots.

10 Likes

They really should have outsourced the entire logistics to NC State. Tix should have been sold with a parking space as an option and those passes should have been mailed out months ago. I hear that they did engage NC State, but it doesn’t sound like they relied on them in the ways that needed to.

10 Likes

We had out tickets scanned. Parking passes however were not checked. I thought it was an awesome event.

6 Likes

I thought the same, I’ve been to State games with the same amount of people or more that had half the problems that did. The line to get in was a disaster, the beer and bathroom lines were the same. Dudes were pissing in the sink at one point. They closed off parking near the indoor practice field forcing people to park near the fair grounds, only to walk over and tailgate in that lot with 1/3 of the spaces still open.

Awesome event otherwise and will definitely return if it comes back. But it was noticeably less organized than a 7pm college football sellout game.

6 Likes

This is 100% correct. They boxed out the university on some key logistics. But hey, it’s not like they have been running this facility for the past 65 years.

7 Likes

If Malik was smart he could build the stadium, and MLB could to Raleigh happens and leasing the place like PNC.

I showed a photo of my parking pass & could have produced 57,000 of them. Didn’t scan & waved us through. Non permitted cars had to turn around in one way traffic to find other spaces. The backup at the gates was 40 minutes and the detectors were going off as we went through.
All good after finding our seats. :cyclone:

1 Like

They certainly had nothing but praise on tv, lol. C-F looked great, so did the fans . Didn’t see any skyline pics, but wasnt’t glued to either. Certainly good pr for the old "wood.

6 Likes

One article alludes to “NC State being
.well NC State”. Had to do with the choice to wear the Payne Stewart golf “shout out” uniforms

which I personally think was awesome.

2 Likes

Went to Carter-Finley just for the tailgate. Can confirm the atmosphere was tremendous.

I was at a loud bar for the game, but my parents watching on TV from SF said the broadcast was a big love-in for Raleigh as a hockey town. Looked and sounded incredible.

16 Likes

We’re in the Map, take that NIMBYs.

1 Like

It really was! Unbelievable! Super Coverage! A Great Jimmy V Honor Presentation! Showed the clip of the winning shot in 83 & Coach V’s speech on believing in yourself & working hard to be successful! Love This! :heart_eyes: Honestly, I rather have seen this game on TV than to have been there in person! It was that good!

11 Likes
4 Likes

It gonna be great hopefully this shows Raleigh hey this is a staple, drill it in. Let’s make a development of offer up land for a new arena the city could should be like, “Hey let’s get off our A$$es and continue to show the world who we are” and invest in a major redevelopment.

1 Like

Well, not for a new arena. Arena renovations, yes. I cannot imagine the horrific traffic a new arena (most likely you want one in DTR) would create. Only 15,000 people live in the downtown area, and only 60% of PNC Arena attendees come from Wake County. They are committed to the renovations and TD is committed to developing the site.

The city should deeply focus on the downtown south development though. It’s not close enough to cause major DTR backups while still viewing DTR. That 20k-seat soccer stadium should be turned into a 70k-seat multi purpose venue. This new venue would host 2029 WUG, and would also be the host to MANY special events. This would finally bring the big touring artists like Taylor Swift and BeyoncĂ© to Raleigh with the modern era tours. Parking for this wouldn’t be as much of a concern considering tailgating is non-existent for events like this. However, if they got enough parking spaces, perhaps they could play there too. After all, MetLife stadium would look pretty nice with a couple Raleigh modifications

5 Likes