Raleigh Stadium/Arena/Sports Discussions

I wished that it was! I would love to get Major League Soccer in Raleigh! I would also love to get The Atlantic League playing in Zebulon. :heart_eyes:

1 Like

FWIW I remember when I was at State, Carter-Finley hosted a friendly between Juventus (Italian team) vs Chivas Guadalajara (Mexican team). Not sure how NC State was able to snag Juventus, as theyā€™re one of the biggest teams in the world.

Juventus ends their American tour with win in Raleigh | | technicianonline.com

7 Likes

MLB isnā€™t allergic to the region, there just hasnā€™t been a single expansion team approved, and only one franchise relocation (to Washington, D.C., which had previous MLB teams for 73 years), since 1995. So aside from one relocation, there hasnā€™t been any change for nearly 30 years. This stuff just happens really, really slowly.

7 Likes

We need our billionaires to step up. Talking to you Goodnight.

1 Like

Canes are pushing to bring the stadium game back every five years

25 Likes

And potentially bid for the Frozen Four! That would be so so cool.

11 Likes

In general, it could attract major events/leagues to Raleigh. I know Chelsea and Wrexham are playing a game in Chapel Hill in the summer & Wrexham playing in the tournament in Cary as well. Maybe more of that down the road.

4 Likes

Jerry Richardson has passed owner of The Panthers. It unfortunate because had those allegations not come out. Raleigh would have more MLS time to finish the bid.

2 Likes

Axios Raleigh had an article on the rise of pickleball (steady there @largesevan) and touched on the Swing development in Brier Creek. One big thing of note was theyā€™ve signed a deal in February 2023 with Wilson Sporting Goods, one of the biggest sporting goods makers, as an official sponsor of the place too. They also touch on some of the civic ā€˜inā€™s & outsā€™ if you will that went into the deal (public/private partnership, 50 year lease, etc.) Still says it should open ā€˜sometimeā€™ in 2024.

Swing is building a $70M pickleball and tennis complex in Raleigh - Axios Raleigh

6 Likes

Iā€™m fascinated to see how this does when it eventually opens up. I imagine it will do well, but for a sport that is historically free to play will it be hard to convince people to pay to play there? I imagine things like reserved courts will help.

1 Like

Todayā€™s Soccer Stadium Digest mentions Raleigh as a 50 to 1 chance of a future MLS expansion city. It also states that Raleigh will get a new USL Stadium built in the downtown area.

14 Likes

I live right near there and would definitely be interested in some sort of membership, but I already pay a few hundred dollars a year to be a member of my neighborhood pool with access to tennis courts. So what more would I get for a Swing membership and for how much? Iā€™m not looking for a RRC type membership.

1 Like

I mean if Ohio can support 2 teams, I donā€™t really see why NC couldnā€™t.

14 Likes

I wholeheartedly think the state of NC can host two professional sports teams in MLS. Donā€™t think two NFL or NBA teams could work, but with the soccer culture in this area for sure.

10 Likes

Without a doubt. I mean, there are three rival teams just in the Triangle. Raleigh vs. Charlotte soccer would be a blast.

6 Likes

Do you mind linking the article?

2 Likes

Selfishly in my dreams Iā€™d prefer an MLB team, but I think MLS would do really well here. If it ever became a possibility, Downtown South would get the turbo boost of all projects.

12 Likes

I wonder what their source for the ā€œplanned stadium dtā€ is because yes there is a plan for DTS but there is not active pursuit per their last meeting. Quarterly zoom meeting is tomorrow so maybe there is an update in that department?

8 Likes

There is stuff going on behind the scene concerning a stadium! Our Mayor is really working overtime supporting this project! Please give her a supporting email on this ok? :heart_eyes:

19 Likes

Maybe theyā€™re trying to negotiate a larger venue? Say they can get 60,000 seats, thatā€™s large events Raleigh can host. With 20k, itā€™s competing with PNC & Walnut Creek, bringing no new events to the area. A 60,000-seat venue can bring larger concert events like Taylor Swift that we havenā€™t been able to get.

1 Like