Raleigh Stadium/Arena/Sports Discussions

:hurricanes: play at home Thursday night to kick off the Eastern Conference finals against the Florida Panthers.
Go :hurricanes: :bangbang:

17 Likes

The City of Raleigh or the Canes themselves need to host watch parties for all of the away games. Either just at PNC or Moore Square, something needs to be going on.

10 Likes

I suspect you’ll see Ale House collaborate again with the CoR to host on Tucker St as they’ve done in the past. I didn’t hear this anywhere, just an expectation.

2 Likes

Kane, nor any other developer is building a stadium without city/state help. But when the council is being asked about public funding for ‘a stadium project’ they are looking at the only proposed project on the board.

If you’re holding out for MLB, this is good news.

Allowing the city or the state to fund a minor league soccer stadium would block funds and take up the best land for a stadium near DT, makes getting MLB a lot more complicated (and less likely). The ROI on a random ‘mixed use’ stadium that houses minor league soccer isn’t going to pay off for the city, so it’s a tough sell to begin with.

If NC/Raleigh gets their ducks in a row and makes a legitimate push for MLB with all the pieces in place, the tune will certainly change.

7 Likes

Tell us how you really feel :wink:

Thanks for shoeing your true colors, trader. This kind of attitude is one of the reasons why we didn’t get MLS.

“Trader” lmao. Because I don’t like soccer. Also “we” have nothing to do with whether or not Raleigh gets a professional sports team. It 100% comes down to money, as in; who has it and who stands to make the most of it. “We” have nothing to do with any of this homie lmaoooo

You take this WAY too seriously :rofl:

8 Likes

Trader Jake’s

Extra characters

1 Like

I think it’s important to understand that no matter what Raleigh does (goes for MLS, goes for MLB, does nothing), there are going to be people for it and people against it.

That said, I don’t think the people with this view are stopping us from getting pro sports. Believe me, plenty of people want MLS and plenty of people want MLB. The appetite for sport in this area is huge.

Hurricanes just finished 2nd in attendance this year. If you ask how many people in Raleigh watch pro hockey prior to the Canes coming here, and were going to use that number to estimate how successful our market could become, they would never have come here. This would have looked like a market that doesn’t care about hockey.

But look at us now. I don’t think anyone could make the argument that we can’t support a hockey team, because, well, we are currently (arguably) the 2nd best market in the US in supporting one.

The Bulls are Top 15 (if not Top 10) in all of MiLB in attendance year over year. When Judge/Stanton came through, they ran 35k+ through the turnstiles at DBAP over the course of a few days. I think with Baseball you are miles ahead of hockey in this region. Baseball is a native sport here in NC, and hockey isn’t. So if we can finish 2nd in the NHL in attendance with a hockey team, what can we do with a baseball team?

The people that don’t like soccer or baseball have a right to that opinion, but it doesn’t mean it matters. Like Jake said, money matters most, but make no mistake, Jake, when the expansion wars really begin, it won’t just be a bidding war. MLB wants community support and involvement. They don’t want another Tampa…where no matter how much they win, the community as a whole is indifferent. (This was the entire point of creating the MLB Raleigh movement — every other movement out there was born out of big-money investments by an ownership group. Our is the only one completely organic, run and funded by the community that would eventually be the target market — the ultimate proof of concept.)

14 Likes

I don’t really care about minor league soccer either and I love the sport. Played through college. I would much rather see city/state funds go towards a comprehensive subway system. One to rival Tokyo or NYC.

2 Likes

Quality points. I am curious about what makes baseball unsuccessful in Tampa when they were at or among the top in NHL attendance the last few years as well. It is another market you would not expect to rally behind hockey, but with strong baseball roots, that seemingly struggles to care about the MLB.

Is there something specifically about the Rays/MLB/baseball in general that makes them indifferent?

2 Likes

I know part of it is that as the heartland of Florida spring training, a lot of locals grew up diehard Yankees fans. Tough to break that.

Also the Tropicana Dome makes the Oakland Coliseum seem welcoming and bright. Who wants to go to a dank, musty dome in Florida?

1 Like

Ha ha, I want what your having! The reason because that never gonna happen. You really gonna be sorry.

Appears that Tempe voters have just overwhelmingly voted to not move forward with a new arena deal for the Arizona Coyotes.

Surprising move for sure since it seems like it’s on an old dump that required no direct funding. Seems the only sweetener on the deal was providing the land for free and cleaning it up, the Coyotes owner would foot the rest of the bill.

3 Likes

Good to see the Canes banners up around downtown Raleigh.

9 Likes

Had an absolute blast at those last time around, despite some rain. I haven’t heard anything for this series, but the road games would be Monday 5/22 and Wednesday 5/24 (and Sunday 5/28, if necessary).

2 Likes

Sorry for what? Not having an MLS team? No. Also - I was joking about the subway system but I’ll take regional commuter rail and brt.

1 Like

I don’t want to make a broad generalization of all Florida fans, but it seems the Miami Marlins ‘fans’ are also in the indifferent category too. Unless they make the playoffs, it seems no one shows up to their relatively new stadium either. I found this article that shows the 2022 attendance for all MLB teams. I filtered by average game attendance and the two Florida teams are down there with Oakland.

1 Like

They’ve been truly horrific on the field. Much like the Pirates, who are also down there, it’s hard to judge a fanbase when the ownership sucks.

Credit to Rockies fans, though - they’re in a similar situation and are still turning out.

2 Likes

Yeah the Marlins owners were the worst. Each time they won the World Series they were hell bent on not paying anyone and gutted the team. It’s a shame about Pittsburgh as their stadium is pretty awesome compared to some of the other ones out there.

3 Likes