Raleigh Stadium/Arena/Sports Discussions

Sure. Maybe wayy down the road. I’m just thinking lowest hanging fruit is developing around the edge. Plenty of room to keep them building for maybe 10-15 years?

1 Like

KC has an excellent downtown basketball/hockey arena right next to the Power & Light District sitting around from a failed attempt to lure an NBA franchise - it’d be a simple move.

2 Likes

Interesting, looks like San Diego just got officially announced as the 30th team to join MLS. Looked like they were telegraphing it would be Las Vegas but this was announced today? :person_shrugging:

If I’m reading right it looks like the expansion fee was $500 million. For reference for Charlotte FC in 2019 it was $325 million.

San Diego Announced as MLS’ 30th Franchise; Manny Machado Among Ownership Group | News, Scores, Highlights, Stats, and Rumors | Bleacher Report

3 Likes

This doesn’t even touch on the precious RV spots that seem to be the main sticking points. Those 15 or so heavy donors have a crazy amount of say in this.

Love this though, honestly it creates even more parking for PNC than there already is. My only worry is on gameday, 9 parking decks + massive lots, with only 3ish exits? Would think there’d need to be some direct entrances onto Wade/Edwards Mill.

Would love to see a designated bus stop or something for gameday coaches from DT Raleigh/Cary, but that’s just me being nit picky :blush:

5 Likes

The Panthers might have more Raleigh-related edits than the Canes do!

https://twitter.com/FlaPanthers/status/1659272641490952225
https://twitter.com/FlaPanthers/status/165918959736734105

Ours is funnier though

https://twitter.com/Canes/status/1659206822191067136

4 Likes

Yeah stolen from Sacramento to get California’s 4th MLS team, also the San Diego Wave FC came from Sacramento when everything was going to plan NWSL was next, it was going to be what isnkw San Diego’s team. So Sacramento has horrible leaders they were weak and this happened. So Raleigh has it better a little.

Waiting for OT4 to start…

:hurricanes:

7 Likes

This is crazy historic! Canes are defensive.

Those hotels would be quite useful on nights like tonight for little 15 minute naps in between periods

6 Likes

Unfortunately with like 10 seconds left in OT4 the Panthers scored. Long night for a L.

1 Like

What time did that game finish? I was watching on TV but turned it off after the 1st overtime and went to bed. 4 OT is crazy.

2 Likes

Don’t remember exactly it was all a blur, but think it ended around 2am.

4 Likes

Speaking of hockey, this WSJ dropped today about the all Sun Belt Stanley Cup playoffs.

I enjoyed this part:

Yet it doesn’t feel preposterous that teams from South Florida and North Carolina aren’t only still alive, but had higher attendance in 2022-23 than every team in Canada save the Montreal Canadiens.

“If you go back 20-25 years, one of the common phrases you would hear is ‘nontraditional markets’,” said Bob Mancini, a longtime coach who now oversees USA Hockey’s youth and development programming. “There are still emerging markets… but there really is no such thing anymore as ‘nontraditional’ hockey markets.”

8 Likes

It was 2am, I had a friend who needed to soda to keep him awake after drinking a few beers.

2 Likes

There were plenty of people taking naps between periods.
:rofl: :sleeping:

4 Likes

I forgot to post this on Thursday night. It looks like they’re getting set up on Tucker for the game later today.

UPDATE: Ok, getting my dates mixed up. Today is home so no street watch party. Not sure what they’re setting up on Tucker St but there’s a stage on the West St side.

5 Likes

I believe it’s for Woofstock, hosted by West Street Dog.

Pickleball, right?

Side note Artsplosure has a great turn out today! Go check it out tomorrow if you don’t have plans!

10 Likes

Well friends, our Canes have some work to do.

9 Likes

It’s a scary I won’t be watching because they life when I do.