Raleigh Stadium/Arena/Sports Discussions

Defy the term “essential infrastructure”. What are we lacking in that? Because I feel I can counter that argument.

Commuter rail lines that run to the majority of all of Raleighs inner belt line and to neighboring towns outside of the belt line. Consistent bus routes that can get people to and from the stadium, and that people would actually consider using (this goes for both buses and trains). Updated roadways and traffic lights within the city to deal with 30k plus people coming to an MLB game for 71 games a year (which is roughly the average per game), not to mention the other events the stadium would hold. This would also mean paying police and other first responder to help manage the security at games and traffic etc.

At the end of the day I’m with you, I really want us to land another team. I participated in the MLS for Raleigh campaign that happened years ago when Dan Garber came to city Market. I really thought we were going to get it back then…then David Tepper showed his bank acct to MLS and it was over.

4 Likes

Arlington, TX and Cumberland, GA have both entered the chat.

1 Like

Cary did not get selected for the new HQ and training facility for US Soccer. Atlanta won out. Not too surprising, especially since Arthur Blank donated $50m to the project.

3 Likes

Atlanta doubling down its bid to be the premiere soccer city in the US. Something I would never have expected 10 years ago.

Still going strong as the top MLS attendance too.

2 Likes

That’s a shame, but not surprising. As much as we love to make fun of Cary, this would have been a big win for the region.

7 Likes

The top 4 you how underserved the Southeast is by the traditional Big Four sports, plus it gives transplants something to cheer for that doesn’t conflict with their legacy teams.

3 Likes

Losing out to another NFL turned MLS owner is a tough blow.

This felt as obvious as MLS to Raleigh but once again, money talks, and these dinosaurs have money to throw around in their cities.

3 Likes

I mean, I don’t think money is the only reason they would choose Atlanta over Cary…

1 Like

Huge airport, enormous local soccer fanbase, big media presence, Fortune 500 sponsors…

3 Likes

And strengthen a future MLS team in Raleigh anymore.

1 Like

I wish we had an NFL team. People take NFL cities seriously.

…do they? Y’all clown Charlotte every chance you get!!! :joy: (not you specifically, just a majority of folks on here)

4 Likes

Like Buffalo. And Jacksonville. And Green Bay. Cultural powerhouses the rest of America can’t wait to move to.

(Apologies to the Buffaloans on the board)

2 Likes

Steve Malik could’ve used Carter-Finley as a temporary stadium before finalizing his stadium plan that’s the route Nashville took, why didn’t he do that? Furthermore, he should’ve told us the bid was dead back in 2018, he cowered out to David Tepper, keep in mind it took us a year to find out that Malik never formally submitted a bid. Don Garber literally said Raleigh never submitted a bid, Malik said he submitted an “application”.

So right there Malik lied the whole time, Don Garber the commissioner would never lie. Now there were reports Malik was told MLS wanted a billionaire in the bid, so Steve got with Tom Dundon Carolina Hurricanes Canes owner he was interested in MLS action. But when news came out about David Tepper announcing his ambitions he chickened out, he could’ve strengthened the bid. And here’s an article on him chickening out.

https://amp.newsobserver.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/luke-decock/article238315783.html

After all it’s Raleigh’s fault for not caring enough even Malik himself said “One of the polling questions was, does it matter if we have an MLS team or not? Frankly, our community doesn’t care that much,” Malik said. “They want events downtown. Would it be nice to have MLS? Sure.”

It’s also Malik’s fault for knowingly choosing an impossible location on state property and when someone on this forum said that state leaders seemed for it but there were too many “moving parts”, even after that Malik kept pushing for it. Also, Raleigh even wanted to help a little bit by offering parts of Dix Park for a stadium he himself said no. So we let this happen, I rest my case.

I don’t think the field at Carter-Finley is big enough for soccer. There’s a reason all the “big” soccer events are played in chapel hill.

1 Like

The field area in Carter Finley is not big enough for a professional soccer pitch.

2 Likes

Cleveland & Cincinnati have both entered the chat…

Foxboro, MA is a town of about 20,000,

Yes, there really was no excuse for this failed bid.