Raleigh Stadium/Arena/Sports Discussions

If memory serves, Malik said that if they may build a much smaller facility at first and then expand/upgrade when a team is actually obtained?

How in fact does one consider the Cargill site to be southeast Raleigh? If anything, itā€™s south Raleigh, but barely. Itā€™s really the southern edge of downtown. South Raleigh, to me, would be south of I40 until the Garner border, and southeast Raleigh would have to be much further toward the I40/I440 split.
To put this in perspective, would we consider Capital Blvd between Wade Ave. and Wake Forest Rd. to be northeast Raleigh? In reality, itā€™s almost exactly the same relationship on the opposite side of DT.

4 Likes

ā€œSo Malik and Kane on Thursday unveiled plans to instead put the stadium on 40 acres in Southeast Raleighā€

The above quote in the TBJ is what prompted the location part, though I am not saying itā€™s correct, just where it may have started?

My guess is the 10 acre site between Garner Rd and Hammond Rd, south of Saints Ave. 2 blocks to the north could be redeveloped (leaving the already renovated warehouses along S Bloodworth of course). Cargill site could also be some of the surrounding development.

Sadly, thereā€™s nothing walkable about this location. Nearly everyone going to that location would have to do so by car. Conversely, itā€™s easy to imagine a lot of people walking to the stadium that was proposed on the north side of the government complex downtown.

5 Likes

True - Anything south of MLK I wouldnā€™t really consider downtown. Perhaps downtown could grow in that direction in the future. But it certainly isnā€™t downtown currently.

2 Likes

The biggest and almost insurmountable obstacle to it ever really functioning as downtown are the blocks between that location and MLK Blvd that are single family houses. It can certainly develop into its own thing a la Cameron Village or North Hills, but it wouldnā€™t be downtown. Iā€™d rather see something like this go to just outside the edge of downtown to stretch the limits instead of it being used a catalyst to a separate node. This is why the whole S. Saunders Street development is exciting to me; it has the possibility to stretch downtown to its southwest.

2 Likes

I am probably biased living in the Southpark area but I think Cargill and surrounding blocks is a great location and fit! Southpark can become the pendant to Oakwood with in fact the same developer Stanley Martin developing an empty lot and some of the warehouses transformed to retail

Advantages:
Easy access to I40/belt line without burdening downtown
Views of downtown skyline
Rail line proximity
Plenty of dilapidated, gritty warehouses to tear down or rehab

I can see downtown eventually stretching down that far as only Walnut terrace is between Exploris Development and Cargill

Now would you walk the one mile from downtown to the stadium? Maybe not but you could also take a bike, scooter, one stop with the train (eventually) :slight_smile:

4 Likes

And this type of location ā€œscreamsā€ new type of transit, imho :grinning:
Maybe a good place to have NCSU students try out there new people moving system?

2 Likes

Wait ā€¦ you mean where the traditionally African-American church is now? And where the traditionally Hispanic church is right next to it?

I am pretty sure Malik/Kane are looking at the properties between Hammond and Wilmington adjacent to Cargill (which Cargill itself the site for the stadium)

3 Likes

Thereā€™s plenty of competition for the Interlocal Agreement funds, including bids from Peace University, the Town of Cary, NCMA, and Marbles:

https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2019/03/15/nc-museum-of-art-marbles-peace-seeking-public.html?iana=hpmvp_trig_news_headline

2 Likes

Maybe I should already know this, but how do they choose where the funds go and what is the process/time frame?

2 Likes

It may take a little time to go through these but there is a lot of information here.

2 Likes

oh thanks and yikes. Lots of PDFs and tons of reading. I want to know pretty bad, but Iā€™m not sure I want to know THIS bad.

4 Likes

Ainā€™t nobody got time for that!

1 Like

Well it does answer the question some of the question

ā€œIn 1991 Wake County was authorized to levy a countywide 6% Room Occupancy and a countywide 1% Prepared Food and Beverage tax. The revenue supports arts, culture, sports and convention facilities in Wake County. These funds are governed through interlocal agreements between the Wake County Board of Commissioners and the Raleigh City Council.ā€

And basically entities that wish for money have to provide the request and project particulars and the money is divvied up among the approved projects.

3 Likes

According to the TBJ, Mr. Malik and Mr. Kane reported the southeast Raleigh parcel was attractive because it was in a designated Opportunity Zone. You can read about Opportunity Zones and view areas designated as such south of downtown using the interactive map.

https://nccommerce.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=346bd126b88e46a1b30f3963c9afffe0

4 Likes

I have been told that Cargill is in this zone .

2 Likes

Well, I have it on good authority that Dwight Nipper IS in the ZONE as well!!! :grinning::grin::joy:

7 Likes