Raleigh Stadium/Arena/Sports Discussions

Do you have a PDF??? Of the proposal???

I donā€™t Gavin . I went to raleighnc.gov . Click on City Council . Click on Council Agenda . Click on March 17 2020 Agenda . Click on Feasibility Study . There will be 2 parts , 40 pages & 21 pages . Hope this info. will help you .

2 Likes

Just a friendly headā€™s up about best practices: if a thing youā€™re citing requires multiple clicks and is not easy and obvious to find, itā€™s best to quote, add a URL, or post a screenshot of what youā€™re talking about.

Hereā€™s the report:
https://go.boarddocs.com/nc/raleigh/Board.nsf/files/BMMNXH6210B5/$file/20200317CMOSoccerandEntertainmentStadiumFeasibilityStudyReport.pdf

It turns out the presentation is pretty optimistic, and glosses over some nuances that I think could make or break this project. To make up for it, I took the liberty of skimming through the report and summarizing the important points.

(ā€¦Iā€™m totally not doing this because I have work that Iā€™m procrastinating onā€¦ ā€¦nope. not at allā€¦)

Before anyone accuses me of any sort of bias...

1. A DoSo Stadium needs year-round uses, and can only survive by being a useful regional destination year-round

ā€¦to the point that the report went ahead and pretty much assumed such a design from the start. The authors of the study looked at similar stadiums and what they do to be built and make money (aka ā€œpeer reviewā€), and it showed that market analyses for the proposed stadium needs to assume that a sports team alone wonā€™t cut it.

To deal with this...

ā€¦stakeholders (i.e. people, companies, and organizations who really care about this stadium in one way or another) brought up a need for a more flexible entertainment venue.

As for soccer, specificallyā€¦

This means that this study needs to show if a NWSL/USL stadium that also acts as a general entertainment destination packs enough bang for its buck. This means it needs:

2. The stadium will mainly be for people who already go to similar events today

ā€¦but having more big urban festivals + new developments beyond the stadium could expand that clientele.

Exciting things about the 'urban festivals' bit...
These figures tell all.

3. Business models matter for stadium users

ā€¦but not as much for this study, in particular. The study laid out different options for how to finance the stadium (should it be led by a developer like Kane? a public-private partnership? or led by the city/county/some other public agency?), but didnā€™t make any particular recommendations.

8 Likes

So I read the Downtown South fesiblity study, bottom line it was a waste of time. Everything in the study basically said what Steve Malik was gonna do with the stadium. Games for the North Carolina FC, and NC Courage. That all no, nothing else I donā€™t know why it took this long when it couldā€™ve taken a month couldā€™ve saved our MLS expenditures.

Second,
MLS is not coming to Raleigh, at least for another 10 years, maybe longer. (If the worlds still here) okay in the study it mentioned several other stadiums in the country in cities like Kansas City, and San Antonio those cities Iā€™ll first start with Kansas City has an MLS team and there stadium taxes made sense, cause it was retrofitted for MLS Sporting Kansas City. However, San Antonio there were on the list for a team but after the Columbus Crew debacle and itā€™s move to Austin that pretty much killed SAā€™s MLS bid. And there plan charges them if they donā€™t get MLS in 5 years which is pretty much not gonna happen they have to pay a 1 million to 5 million a year. Because Bexar County which is San Antonio brought a used stadium that could be upgraded to 20,000 seats for a possible franchise in MLS. What if the City/County of Raleigh and Wake County do the same heā€™s gonna step back. And unless his so-called lawyer is a billionaire then heā€™ll panic cause he wonā€™t be able to get something like that done in 5 years. Now Raleigh has a way better chance at MLS than San Antonio, simply because San Antonio is an hour even 45 minutes from its Downtown to Austin and there future proposed stadium. And Raleigh and Charlotte or only 2 hours and 45 minutes within our Downtowns (or uptown for them) kinda like San Jose and future Expansion team Sacramento or Kansas City or St. Louis.

Finally, letā€™s focus on MLB and give up on MLS itā€™s in Charlotte itā€™s over for now MLB has a better chance at coming to Raleigh than this. And Steve Malik thought future investors a lesson donā€™t go to state property and propose a Stadium and go to city you have a better chance and donā€™t ask for a tax-subsizdied stadiums privately fund it yourselves, well financially support the backing if the games like transit, advertising, etc.

If MLS comes to Raleigh (which it wonā€™t). Trust me Iā€™ll bet my whole Savings Account $300 currently and nothing beyond that because if I add more money to it that wonā€™t count. That MLS wonā€™t come to Raleigh and if youā€™re right Iā€™ll pay ya.

Has anyone heard anything about todayā€™s Wake County Commissionerā€™s Meeting concerning the soccer stadium ? I would have gone to the meeting but I had a Dr. appointment .

1 Like

I would love to know as well, I think the COVID-19 Situation has put a tamper on things, I think once things return to normal things will speed up Stef Mendell and crew are up to the crying all over again.

1 Like

The city council had a report from the JLL consultant yesterday. Apparently itā€™s the same presentation that was giving to the county commissioners. Itā€™s out on youtube.

2 Likes

For those that want to discount Steve Malikā€™s ability to pull off an MLS franchiseā€¦

https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/luke-decock/article241456851.html

As a reminder, the other guy on US Soccerā€™s board is Don Garber, MLS commissioner.

Part of Malikā€™s strategy is elevating the womenā€™s game. He has a decided advantage with ties to UNC, Anson Dorrance, and the fact that the Courage can pull straight from UNC, State & Duke.

Adding an MLS franchise to Raleigh and a guy who is a big supporter of womenā€™s athletics is a ā€˜winnerā€™ for MLS optically. Wonā€™t be tomorrow and clearly with all this coronoavirus craziness, things are up in the air for everythingā€¦but Malik is methodical in what heā€™s doing.

Next round of expansion will include Raleighā€¦assuming we have a stadium, of course.

16 Likes

Okay but theyā€™ve really havenā€™t he joined officially just a rejoin, right now a lot of thing U.S. Soccer gotta do is cleaning up there reputation. MLS is not their focus right now, and furthermore adding to that there not sure if MLS should have that much influence in 5 years.

Interesting article. I knew about the fanbase and success of college clubs here in the Triangle, but didnā€™t know about all of those business connections.

Raleigh makes so much sense for an MLS team, just need an ownership group with deeper pockets. Would be cool for MLS to be the first top level sports league with two teams in North Carolina. A Raleigh-Charlotte rivalry is fun to think about.

In the meantime we can continue to build the following for one of the very best pro womenā€™s teams in the world.

12 Likes

A new video thatā€™s not only timely, but actually gives PNC/Carter Finley a ā€œshout outā€ of sorts, but not in a positive way. This video doesnā€™t try to answer all the questions, but it does question public funding for privately held entities that own sports franchises.

7 Likes

Thanks John for sharing this video . I still favor Public / Private Funding for our stadium . The Mudcats stadium was public / private funded & I have been told that Durham Bulls stadium was Wake County public funds used for their stadium .

2 Likes

Wow. If Durham received public money from Wake to build DBAP, then that beats all. With the way that Durham touts itself like itā€™s on some sort of island, Iā€™d ask for my money back.

4 Likes

It was funded by Durham, not Wake.

7 Likes

I commented on the video, interesting since Tom Dumdon wants a downtown stadium for the Canes. What about if a black billionaire or one of color helps us bring MLB or MLS to Raleigh how would you react.

1 Like

Iā€™m not following. What does race have to do with this? Why would it matter?

10 Likes

I think weā€™d all be ecstatic if any race billionaire wanted to bring MLB or MLS to Raleigh.

17 Likes

Yes, please elaborate.

7 Likes

As much as Iā€™d like to see a billionaire step up to the plate to establish a major sport venue downtown, I think that Iā€™d rather see one step up to help address any long term financial fallout from this virus. There are going to be a lot of people in great need out of no fault of their own.

5 Likes

I mean Robert L. Johnson, and now Micheal Jordan does that what I mean Robert helped being the then Bobcats back to Charlotte he a billionaire and former foundr of BET Black Entertainment Television.