Raleigh Stadium/Arena/Sports Discussions

Yea but our image of being scared to swing big is changing because of council!!! And it’s pro-development everything agenda!!!

1 Like

Yea but he’s not the man in control!!! I think that what we’re trying to tell him and you!!! Kane is in it for the money!!!

If the shoe fits…

Rail lines have similar cost to build in the US and Europe… until you try to move them underground. For some reason subway systems are significantly costlier in the US.

1 Like

Plot twist. Neither MLS nor MLB pan out in DoSo and DoSo ends up being the home for the Hurricanes new stadium in 7-8 years.

I’m a huge Canes fan and would love them here. But sign me up for an MLB team in Raleigh!

9 Likes

I’d prefer minor league baseball because the tickets are cheaper. I don’t know if we’d be able to get a AAA team since Durham has the Bulls and Charlotte has the Knights. I’d say we have a higher chance of getting an MLB team vs getting a AAA team. I’d say we steal the Marlins since they have the lowest attendance in MLB. Raleigh has the almost same metro as Milwaukee and their attendance is good.

Besides MLB, I think our only other chances of getting a team is to steal the Mudcats or get another single A team. It’s a lower league, but there are other bigger cities that have single A teams as well. Who knows, maybe the team gets moved to a higher tier. The NCFC only averages about 4-5k attendance for about 17 home games (17 home games is an estimation List of North Carolina FC seasons - Wikipedia). Carolina Mudcats (single A team) had 70 home games in 2018. I mainly want something that is going to keep the place active. As a side note, there does look to be a restructuring of Minor League Baseball. MLB Proposal Would Eliminate 42 Minor League Baseball Teams

Aside from dreaming, plans change all the time. I’m interested in seeing what happens. I just hate having to drive to Durham for baseball or Broadway shows.

7 Likes

I have talked to Mr. Kane & Mr. Malik in person about a baseball / soccer stadium . I mention The Atlantic League & they both were very aware of The Atlantic League . Mr. Kane was more interested in this type of set-up than Mr. Malik . The Atlantic League has just lost two of their teams , Sugarland , Tx . went to afflicated AAA for Houston & Somerset NJ AA afflicated to I believe NY Mets . High Point plays in The Atlantic League & if the season had played out his year , they would have had 8 players on their team with MLB playing time . High Point will have minor league soccer playing in their stadium in the near future .The Atlantic League is AA level & they are partners of MLB .

5 Likes

thanks for that info. i didnt know that red hat would be checking out. if the ‘soccer’ stadium could be used for entertainement would its proximity to after event spending (DTS bars and shops and restarurants be easier than a amphitheatre on the former dix property.

1 Like

he may be…i dont know. i worked at his health clubs for years many years ago. but DTS still could be a good thing for the area.

1 Like

i played some soccer as a youth in raleigh but i wonder about its draw even now.

This is a late response but does anyone really think people would agree to allow the government to give public funds for a 46-56k seat baseball (single-purpose) stadium? I doubt it but that’s just my opinion

And putting a soccer field on a baseball field is not a good option. I doubt anyone would want to squint to watch a game they could see better on tv.

Will be a very sad day when Red Hat Amp. goes. I think the venue brings a lot more enjoyment to the area than an extension of a convention center. But I realize the economic impact of the convention center drawing out of towners is probably greater.

Walnut Creek is just… horrible. A medium/large music venue somewhere else downtown would be nice. I’ve hoped that Seaboard might get something similar to the place at the Wharf, which is simply the nicest indoor venue in the US.

8 Likes

Not that I’m an MLS/MLB stan but…

That’s true for all other sports, yet people still insist on going to live games (also concerts and things) even if they can only get awful seats. I don’t think that reason holds water.

Who knows? And does it even make sense to wonder about that right now (when there are no immediate offers or franchises actually on the table)? I’m interested in having that debate when the time comes, but I don’t think that time is here yet.

A lot of people are implying and assuming that the central amphitheater in the Dix Park master plan will take that role (and be better-integrated with downtown proper).

We have a whole separate thread for this topic, if you want to check it out.

3 Likes

I message DRA to let them know I don’t want the Red Hat Amp to be replaced with another amphitheater outside of the Downtown Raleigh proper. I will probably speak up about this subject at a city council meeting some day as well–when the US isn’t so crazy.

No Dix Park or Downtown South replacement is acceptable, it will only caused downtown Raleigh to suffer more due to lack of amenities. Unless they plan to build a pedestrian bridge from Dix Park to Downtown, Western Blvd is a barrier between Dix Park and DTR. Dix Park as planned isn’t a downtown Raleigh feature.

Why can’t they incorporate a new amphitheater into the CC expansion? Roof top amp?

8 Likes

I hope you’re paying attention to the station area planning studies for the Western Blvd. BRT, then. 'cuz I think that, not a convention center/Dix-related hearing, is thee best place to solve this.

EDIT: this will probably happen sooner, too, so there’s also that.

3 Likes

I said the exact same thing a while back. haha. I love the location of Red Hat, and would hate to see it disappear. It is right in the heart of DRT, I think it really adds to the character of downtown. I DO wish where were more restaurants and shops in the immediate vicinity of Red Hat, rather than a few blocks away, but that can be easily incorporated into new development around the immediate area. (Enterprise Lot, Hotel by PoolSide and Wake County Deck, etc)

6 Likes

Yeah those stalled hotel projects would have helped. The biggest complaint about Raleigh by the Rainbow Six community during the event was the lack of things to do around the Convention Center. They don’t want another competition in Raleigh is the general consensus. They loved the convention center itself, the event was a success but the lack of downtown amenities nearby was a big issue.

2 Likes

Interesting, NYC already as a rooftop amphitheater on top of a 3 story building. I suspect if you just use the right building technique the cost of supporting a roof top full of people over a space that is open enough for a convention center space isn’t all that high. Maybe using a limited number of large support columns.

14 Likes

What building is this -and more importantly, what’s underneath the stage?

I like the idea of a rooftop concert area, too, but I’m curious about the engineering issues. I feel like you could just throw money at the structural integrity problem. …but acoustics (read: whether the floors below the stage are too loud to be useful) sound like the bigger challenge to me.