Raleigh Tourism & National Attraction

I’m curious what you think we should advertise to a general out of state audience? Raleigh is a great place to live, and an okay regional destination for our museums and concerts or events, but what do you (or anyone else) think is appealing enough that it would be a good investment to advertise to people multiple states away?

If you are going to travel more than a few hours or fly and you want a big city you would choose NY, DC, Boston, Philly, Atlanta or Miami. If you want museums those same Bos-Wash cities have better offerings. If you want southern charm, you go for Charleston, NOLA, or Savannah. Asheville has mountains. Numerous places have beaches. Just not sure what would draw someone to make a trip from Florida up here.

I would think the best bang for the buck would be advertising in state (or possibly in parts of VA) for people looking for a short weekend trip to drive, and then you can mention the food scene, concerts, events, and museums. Also plant the seed that if someone is coming for a concert or event they should stay an extra day to partake in some of the other stuff.

3 Likes

We are a short-drive kinda place (and honestly I think Charlotte is too, regardless of them having gotta lot). And that’s ok.

Our main assets on a national scale would be sports. The Durham Bulls, the ACC schools (which are unique, and able to see multiple high-level games on the same weekend is not nothing), gateway to Pinehurst, NHL. Sports tourism is a niche market (but all traveling is on most levels), but it’s what we have.

2 Likes

Yup - the only things I consistently can get friends down here for is college sports. State football, and especially UNC and Duke basketball, are amazing. There’s nothing else like Cameron (and, I’ve heard, the Dean Dome, but I’ve never been as impressed), and we’re one of the closest Southern football experiences to the northeast.

If I golfed, I’m sure Pinehurst would have a similar pull - the Friday flight from NYC is essentially a golf express.

1 Like

Agreed that even though it is a lot bigger, Charlotte doesn’t have too many draws for someone a significant distance away.

Yes, sports are certainly a draw, and this is obviously one of if not the best place in the country for college basketball. Football you have quantity, but the offerings here don’t match the big schools like Clemson, FSU or the big SEC schools.

I think Raleigh should lean into the Pinehurst connection, especially with the course being in the regular rotation for the US Open and the museum/visitor center/research facility that the USGA is opening.

2 Likes

Yeah, basketball would be the main draw to come, though a few more games like Monday wouldn’t do too badly.

When the Amtrak S line comes online I think Raleigh could get some leverage out of that.

1 Like

Raleigh : We’re your Getaway, your City in a Park, your foodie stopover on the way to the Mountains or the Sea, THE place for BB_ACC, where Hurricanes are nice and storm in the winter, you might wanna stay as its a great place to be - Come See…

1 Like

How about a giant fountain/statue of an oak tree where the water travels up through the trunk of the tree, out to the branches, then trickles off the leaves as though they were being rained on. A plaza could be developed around it with gift shops, restaurants, and other amenities, - also could be the permanent home of the Giant Acorn we’re so proud of. It should be placed in a spot where it just seems to be “naturally” at home- as if it somehow “magically” grew there. The place I envision is that area where Hillsborough, and Edenton streets merge. A place where the surrounding area is about “explode” with new developments! Also, (and this is important), it ties Hillsborough st, Glenwood South , Warehouse, and RUSBUS together! Let’s face it. The bottom line is, - if you want to attract Tourists - you need to have something they want to come see - right? Suuuurre… they’ve seen other fountains, but, they haven’t seen ours! And they’re gonna wanna see it, because we’re going to commission an Artist to create not just a fountain/statue, but a “Work of Art”, that people will come to see to compare with other fountains. And, while you got’em here…you can entertain them! You know, - get their “tourist” money! I think you don’t quibble about funding on this one! Let’s just roll the dice, I think it’s a winner!! Just imagine all the future photo opps! That’s a suggestion from a 40+ yr resident of Raleigh.

Sounds great!! But also suspiciously like the old fountain in Crabtree. I am sure a few old timers remember this wonder . . .
03c_Crabtree+Valley+1972_3+Fibreglass+Fountain-1734735724

5 Likes

Ouch! I remember the fountain at Crabtree, but I don’t feel like an old timer.

1 Like

Same concept, but on a much Grander scale! And I too remember the Crabtree fountain!

1 Like

And It’d be an Oak tree

2 Likes

I totally remember it! There lots of things that I remember from Crabtree. Do you remember Scotty’s Chuckwagon from the old North Hills mall?

1 Like

Best Hot Dogs Ever!!

“ A Place At The Table Restaurant “ is a finalist on The Kelly Clarkson Show on helping others. I guess if you go to WRAL home page , there should be information on how to vote for them.

3 Likes

Okay why is it not a landmark?

1 Like

I don’t know? It should be. YouTube has a good video “Good Neighbor Of The Year Finalist” A Place At The Table. The Kelly Clarkson Show.

I saw that’s great I’m vote for it I think Raleigh needs more luxury restaurants, and food chains.

1 Like