Raleigh Transit Overlay Districts (TOD)

I thought I’d start a new thread to follow TOD in Raleigh as it looks like the New Bern Ave rezoning (Z-92-22) is going to be a long one to follow here in 2024. I want to try and keep updates going here so stay tuned.

At the same time, did you know that the southern and western BRT corridors already have the TOD zoning applied? I’m not sure that’s talked about enough. So here it is in a map I made in iMaps. I wonder how the public engagement process went for those corridors?

18 Likes

Just think, someday all you cool downtown people could take the BRT to the Fenton!

3 Likes

For those corriders, I was under the impression the TOD overlay was applied, but no properties were actually rezoned, compared to New Bern where they’re applying the TOD but also rezoning a large portion of the corridor. This is based purely on memory though, does anyone know if that’s accurate?

2 Likes

Here’s the TOD rezoning memo for the New Bern BRT route:

2 Likes

Hmm she’s from Atlanta a big city it’ll be surprising if she’s a NIMBY, I watch her every day her middle name is Dawn by any chance did you spot that in the disapproval row? Because with that we’ll know, if it’s her or not.

I wanted to drop some upcoming, in-person events for your calendars. You certainly have the opportunity to binge on public meetings related to transit over the next few weeks. I have them sorted by date and time. Keep me honest if you see a mistake.

7 Likes

For confirmation, is this thread for all transit or just BRT? :face_with_monocle:

This thread is about the Transit-Overlay District rezoning which is applied along the BRT corridors. They go hand-in-hand so talking about one is likely applicable. More short-term, the New Bern Station Area Planning rezoning will be the talk of the news in the coming months most likely so we can discuss that here.

1 Like

Relevant meme:

The voters of Wake County chose in 2016 to build a BRT line on New Bern Ave. Indeed, anyone who pays Wake County sales tax (including many non-Raleighites!) should want the New Bern BRT to succeed, because they’re paying for it. Too many transit construction projects have failed to deliver on their promise because supportive land uses never emerged, notably in Los Angeles and Denver:
https://www.cpr.org/podcast/ghost-train/
The federal government has recently said that it’s only interested in funding transit if supportive land-use policies are in place, because they want maximum public benefit from public-works projects.

10 Likes