Raleigh Union Station and RUSbus Facility / Union West

So I have a question. And apologies if this has been covered already (I think it definitely has), but I still don’t get it: I’ve heard we aren’t moving the bus station near Moore Square into this new one. Is that right? If so, why? Can someone ELI5?

It just doesn’t make any sense to me for the city to spend multi-millions on a new facility and still have what was supposed to be a temporary bus station in place at the other end of downtown. This seems inconvenient to passengers who need to go between the two (especially if they have mobility issues), and effectively boxes in downtown between two busy stations.

Am I missing something obvious here?

Moore Square station is for local routes (The city of Raleigh).
Union Station Bus facility is for regional routes (Durham, Chapel Hill etc.)

Neither facility will ever be large enough to accommodate both.

11 Likes

I’ll let someone more plugged in elaborate but I believe this is different than the latest plans, which have the platform running between the tracks from the current eastern Hargett Street intersection to the Hillsborough St bridge

could bus stations outside of downtown then handle more of a load and better suit growth patterns for those who ride the bus in those areas?

a small for instance…reno nv has a RTC 4th street station. https://maps.app.goo.gl/REhkytjaEutSin1B8 it has maybe 15 routes and perhaps two of them connect this station to Sparks centennial station , 4.6 miles east.
the centenial station has about 4 satellites routes of its own,
https://maps.app.goo.gl/EWbvHptrNBgnwzBr8 Additionally both of these stations in total I think have 4 routes going here, https://maps.app.goo.gl/ERgRj2n48K5zP9J19 this is the RTC mall transfer station with has about 3 or 4 satellite routes that serve it only. one of the 4th st station routes that serve the mall is a BRT lite system with a long articulated bus, only about 5 stops, uses existing streets and has 10 minute frequency.

1 Like

21 Likes

Went by there this morning. You can clearly see the bus loop from Hargett.

27 Likes

Looks like they reduced the size of the old facade… I noticed knocked down brinks 2 weeks ago leaving the Dillon deck and thought it was accidental.

6 Likes

This entire project has just been disappointment after disappointment lmao. Not even surprised anymore. Just knock down the entire remaining façade and stop building when the parking deck is done, and I wouldn’t even bat an eye.

The only thing permitted is the bus station. I don’t think that includes the parking deck.

Updated set in the design review commission agenda… not exactly getting better.

Total: 23 floor, 271’

North Elev (Hargett st):

East Elev (West St):

South Elev:

West Elev (back):

“two towers” has kinda just morphed into 1 tower with a stepback halfway up. Amentity level is on the 5th floor on the back. 14th floor roof is full of A/C units. And 23rd floor has just the small amenity rooftop patio. Seems incredibly ho hum, bland, and short sighted.

18 Likes

This is an understatement. This is the same garbage that gets proposed everywhere in Raleigh, on what was supposed to be a transformative, transit and retail based residential development.

6 Likes

at least it will look good from the north and south, but that west elevation, the main view of this beast from Boylan bridge, is a square blob.

6 Likes

…and with the Dillon there at basically the same height (only barely shorter), from Wye Hill your view will now be a nice, long, giant metal and concrete wall :upside_down_face:

Looks about as architecturally interesting as the North Hill’s Cardinal tower. :melting_face:

2 Likes

Could you post the link to this document? I want to make an overlay of all the designs for the tower to show the massive disappointment this has become.

Thank you!

characters

Whatever just build the damn thing and get it over with. It’s density.

14 Likes

If we keep saying this every time a potentially transformative project on a huge, prime lot downtown gets value-engineered down to more and more boxes plopped on top of parking decks, what happens when all the prime lots are gone? We gonna be ok with more old buildings that actually give the street-experience character being torn down for bigger buildings?

Yup, decades of street-experience character this building was able to provide. This photo was from September of 2007.

Let it go, who cares about the height, honestly. If this was another Morgan St. food hall, with the same height, I would be just as happy. The height of this building changes not one single thing.

20 Likes