Raleigh Union Station and RUSbus Facility / Union West

Related to Raleigh Union Station but on May 10th/11th, train tickets between Raleigh and Charlotte for certain trains are $1 if anyone’s ever wanted to do a trip - use the promo code “V335” here: Train Tickets | North Carolina Amtrak Service

(pretty sure it’s $1 for any other stations between the two but I didn’t check)

12 Likes

I’m going there by train memorial day weekend. Darn lol

Two firms singed leases to rent office space in Union Station. At only $23 per square ft. this is a huge bargain, considering class A office rent downtown has exceeded $30 a square ft.
https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2019/05/10/two-firms-grab-space-at-raleighs-union-station.html?iana=hpmvp_trig_news_headline
Only two spaces remain open to rent, one being reserved for a permanent food vendor.

5 Likes

Rezoning request for DX-40-CU just popped up on the Raleigh Wire Bot…

6 Likes

It will probably still be about 20 stories but they likely need the extra height since it’s stupid low on the 20 story zoning.

5 Likes

That is exactly what I was thinking too. The folks in Boylan Heights are gonna break out the pitchforks and torches soon.

3 Likes

Kay Crowder is gonna have a heart attack with all of these DX40 requests.

10 Likes

She’s going to have a laughing fit*

10 Likes

As unlikely as it is, I can’t help but wonder if her comments motivated a few of these requests to aim a bit higher than the developers originally planned . . . :thinking:

5 Likes

Even if this is the case, I love the idea that all of these buildings aren’t going to be the same height. If we could get 300’ or 325’ in that location, it will be more visually interesting. As for Boylan Heights, this location is significantly far enough away from them that it adds to their view more than it’s perceived to be blocking their views.

10 Likes

I mean if I was a developer I would be kinda pissed off at that comment. I’m pissed off and I am not even in the industry anymore.

3 Likes

It would be incredible to get over 300 feet on this site. But also this proposal got me thinking, all of the literature I have seen on their plans for this site have referenced a 20 story plan. I think it’s possible that with the amount of 40 story requests going on that the developer has great confidence they can secure 40 story zoning allowing them to build a bit over 20.

3 Likes

Update from the N&O: GoTriangle submits rezoning request for bus station tower in Raleigh’s Warehouse District https://www.newsobserver.com/news/business/article230710259.html

2 Likes

I think that the only real update is the request for zoning up to 40 stories…:blush:
I say this as “no one was available for comment from Go Triangle”. :thinking:

3 Likes

…Interesting. I can’t imagine GoTriangle actually intends to build anything anywhere near that high (or even above 12 stories for that matter). Maybe they want to raise the land value and then sell it?

They received a $20 million dollar federal grant to build this facility. They have also spoke about wanting to include mixed housing and retail in this project. I will be surprised if they don’t use the max zoning.

8 Likes

That’s great to hear!

Even the concept/master planning renderings showed roughly 22 levels including the penthouse. I’d expect the designs to end up somewhere around here and will be surprised if they go higher.

4 Likes

I think they are going for max zoning to make their RFP as appealing as possible. Whichever developer is selected will then be free to build as big as they want.

From GoTriangle’s perspective, the bigger the project here, the better for commuter rail, BRT, and regional buses - so there is no reason to expect them to tell a developer to “keep it small” and plenty of reason for it to be as big as possible.

7 Likes

It makes sense that they’d want to get the zoning upgraded before they go to bid for this development. Having that additional flexibility with height regardless of floors will undoubtedly improve the bid responses and designs for this block.

8 Likes