Raleigh Union Station and RUSbus Facility / Union West

I love the tower design!! Personally I like the seeming randomness of our current big 3, and I like that this design doesn’t compete with those quirky styles. It feels very “Raleigh” for lack of better description.

7 Likes

I really hope they manage to get the right vendors in here. I went to Denver for the first time this past summer and was enamored with Union Station. It was an active transit hub, of course, especially with the success of their commuter rail, but it was also a fantastic place to drink, dine, or even shop at nearly any part of the day. Two solid bars, a coffee shop and bakery, an ice cream shop, a book store, a home goods store, several restaurants ranging from a deli to fine dining, and a four-star hotel. That’s not even counting the stuff in neighboring buildings. And there were so many people there. It really felt like a cultural hub for Denver, not just a train station.

I’d love to see the same sort of thing here in Raleigh.

17 Likes

Can you imagine it? No more “Big 3” soon - BIG 4 BABY!

5 Likes

Perhaps RUSBUS and the connector (Passage) brings enough life to activate Union Station. I’d love to see people walking back and forth on that walkway between dining, drinking, etc.

10 Likes

That’s my hope. The design is right. Just needs the right businesses in there.

7 Likes

Sorry guys, something about that walkway doesn’t feel right to me. Does it actually provide a shorter path for people to transfer between trains and buses? I’m not seeing it. You either go down, and then back up (using the existing underpass), or else go up and then back down (with the new bridge.) And the path is barely different at all.

If there’s no difference, then, what’s it actually doing there, other than “looking neat”? If they’re going to spend the money to build a bridge at Union Station, they should build it somewhere, in some direction, where it does more to help circulation. Like from the “lookout” on the roof of Union Station, over the tracks, ending just south of Wye Hill, or something. Or if it’s got to come from RUSBUS, then build it over the tracks next to Hargett, in preparation for when they (eventually, inevitably) close the Hargett Street grade crossing.

5 Likes

Probably faster access for hotel guests.
Better for in-climate weather.

But point taken. Without this there is an elevator or you can walk down the stairs.

6 Likes

Sometimes we just need something that looks cool, ok!?! :laughing:

4 Likes
7 Likes

I am all for a cool looking bridge, just make it connect to Wye Hill!

7 Likes

Found a closer/bigger image of the full tower:

41 Likes

What development is this

3 Likes

This entire block in the warehouse district that was originally home to 5-star Asian restaurant.

7 Likes

From the elevation, the first floor of the residential tower starts at 6’, so the building is actually 429 feet. Still, it’s taller than the Eastern at North Hills, but falls 2 feet short of Two Hannover/Truist.

6 Likes

The height is nice on this one, but I think my favorite part is the texture variation at the pedestrian scale. And the multi-levels of ‘public’ areas this one seems to have. Combined with the bus station, train station, Dillon, and MSFH should bring a ton of energy and activity to these blocks.

29 Likes

Night and day compared to 10 years ago in the same few blocks.

11 Likes

I’m thrilled by the further activation of the plaza that sits on West in front of Union Station. It’s going to be a really special place.

11 Likes

With the past in mind, I hope this development attracts multiple 4 or 5 star restaurants to this area.

7 Likes

5 star restaurants only allowed

9 Likes

With all of the residents that are there, and with the ones that will come with this project, I’d think that a collection of 3 star restaurants might fare better in the long run. While the 5 star restaurants attract those for special occasions, they don’t necessarily well serve their immediate neighborhoods.
Frankly, I’d trade 4 and 5 star restaurants for more diners downtown.

23 Likes