Raleigh Union Station and RUSbus Facility / Union West

Yeah there’s no room for growth with this setup so when it comes time to expand, how many platform can we get with this station? 4 or 5 max? What if we needed 10? And just look at all that walking to get from the platform to the train station.

Why can;t they put it in the curve right next to the station building? That walk is ridiculous. It’s like 2-1/2 city blocks to get from the far end of the platform to the station.

1 Like

Curved platforms are a no no. Difficult or impossible to make these accessible due to the gap between the platform and the train. Has to be as clcose to straight as possible.

1 Like

So it wouldn’t make a difference if you put the platform above or below the train?

Good point.

3 Likes

Hargett could be bridgified surely. Why don’t they do that?

1 Like

Above or below? You should really be doing neither. In the 21st century, the world standard is to have level boarding where station platforms are flush with the floors inside of trains. Passengers get on and off trains more slowly if they have to walk up or down any steps -if they can do that at all (you can’t if you’re in a wheelchair, for example).

Combine this with how the ADA also requires that, generally, and it means that it’s actually not okay for Raleigh to be the only heavy rail station in North Carolina with high platforms.

Not in a way that would make sense. The Hargett side of Union West (the building formerly known as RUSbus) will have a ramp to a parking deck that’s essentially right next to the tracks, as well as the entryway for the bus terminal. A bridge for Hargett St. would have to block them both and still make sure that cars and buses can go in and out of the building -and that’s impossible unless you break the laws of geometry.

1 Like

And it’s probably hard to do that. Light rail or tram would come much quicker than that.

It kinda does because wheelchair accessibility. I think Morgan street is a good space.

That one no sense, Morgan street is better.

The deck entrance ramp could just be on the 2nd floor. Easy. I think it’s actually very feasible and I think it should be seriously considered since separating the grade for tracks throughout downtown has been on the menu for decades.

1 Like

The bus facility is also close enough to the tracks that it is a constraining factor. There’s no way that it would be able to raise up to the elevation necessary to work with the grade separation without a complete redesign of the entire building, and that’s just not going to happen.

I would personally love for a ped bridge to be built here to connect with the Wye Hill area and the eventual Bloomsbury tower development. However, the ROW on Hargett between Union West and Citrix is pretty narrow and probably doesn’t give enough room for a bridge descent.

2 Likes

Looking at the Twitter feed of Call of Duty Major which is currently happening at Raleigh Convention Center. A few people have been using AMTRAK to get to Raleigh. Some from Greensboro but also a few from NoVa area. This is a trend I would like to see more of.

17 Likes

With the buses going in out of Union West, and the bus traffic up/down West Street, having non-transit traffic through there is going to be pretty congested. So, it’s probably going to be the right answer to eliminate cars in that block.

And, I would definitely be down for a pedestrian bridge in that spot.

8 Likes

Hopefully the fourth iteration of the Raleigh Union Station can be placed here, even if it is in a 100 years or 200. Whenever Raleigh needs more than 5-ish platforms and high efficiency.

7 Likes

In Union Station for the first time, and my first time ever taking a train! This station is beautiful.

49 Likes

Took these pics this morning.

27 Likes

It looks even better with people in it!! Is that @OakCityDylan sitting on the far right? lol.
Hope you enjoy train trip!!

2 Likes

I cant wait until they actually start Construction, then I will take more pics.

4 Likes

But the real question is: has the toilet on the 2nd floor been preserved??

3 Likes