RDU Expansion/2040 Master Plan

Also, I cannot recommend IcelandAir enough, as someone who’s flown it 2x now (once from Boston, and once from Raleigh). The direct flights out of Raleigh are killer. You get customs out of the way in Keflavik – which is a very small and efficient airport – and it’s only ~6 hours there. So happy that they started up service here.

15 Likes

Saw this today, not 100% about RDU but used as model for “Clear’s” system and nice comments about RDU.
https://simpleflying.com/clear-launches-50-airports/
Published 26 minutes ago
"The Raleigh-Durham Airport Authority operates the Raleigh-Durham International Airport, a top five in passenger sanctification in large North American airports, according to a 2022 J.D. Power study. "

2 Likes

Is this the right use of the word sanctification?

Perhaps they meant satisfaction?

that was just a cut and paste. Talk to reporter, we all know how exacting they are.

Oh, I went to the original article and saw. I wasn’t suggesting it was your doing. :slight_smile:

1 Like

1 Like

https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2023/02/03/rdu-terminal-expansion-airline-passengers-traffic.html

I’m gonna say this RALEIGH NEEDS A HUB!!!

2 Likes

“He said that before the Covid-19 pandemic, the airport was close to inking a public-private partnership with an unnamed airline to fund a revamp of Terminal 1.”

Can imagine this would’ve brought that hub, and I can imagine it would’ve been Delta.

2 Likes

Yep… Delta would have been a great Mid-Atlantic hub, Spirit is okay, United is fine, But we need to ink a hub terminal 1 like the hood ole days is ready and suited for one. Hopefully those talks renew.

1 Like

I believe the T1 expansion discussions is what prompted this T1 proposal. I imagine Delta would’ve acquired the 9 gates at T1 for this as well, but I also imagine they would try and link T1 & T2 in a more efficient way for the CDG flight

3 Likes

Yeah I think also terminal 1 is pretty much a hub with a complete Delta takeover. The renderishow it.

1 Like

However, I have to wonder if Delta is still in discussions for this. Perhaps this is something that is announced 2025ish for a 2026 construction start. But, we now have an Avelo base, Frontier has hinted at the possibility, and Breeze has come out and said that they may add a base here by end of 2023 as well, with around 15 new routes. This could mean the project moves forward anyway with or without the help of airline $$$. At that point, Delta may opt for a new terminal all together.

2 Likes

Terminal 1 is the catalyst for a hub, They those rendering is what hubs look like, Frontier and Breeze will have a lot of space at 2 because the first is merging with frontier.

They can bus from one terminal to another. I’ve seen that done in other locations.

People mover us fancier…and probably cheaper to build. They can do it over the runway.

Yep but a people mover linking 1 and 2 and the parking between them is WAY Cooler.

Yep public private partnerships are the future for all transit GoTriangle should consider for it commuter rail.

Avelo will base its second aircraft here starting June 20. It will be a 737-800. Expect some new route announcements in March-April

8 Likes

Breeze from RDU to LAX, SDF, PIT as part of a pretty big expansion.

9 Likes

Nice, as someone from LA, the current RDU to LAX prices are double what they were just 2 years ago so would be nice for more competition to lower the fares again!

8 Likes