RDU Expansion/2040 Master Plan

I want good airlines to have these direct flights tho, not shit like Avelo where your flight there or back may never actually happen. Also I have no desire to go to Asia. Maybe Japan. But I wouldn’t want that direct. Holy crap I’d need a day in California and another in Hawaii to even attempt that.

3 Likes

Avelo will probably end up making Raleigh it’s hub. Terminal 1 airport public-private partnership, i don’t think you need support from the city. Just the county.

3 Likes

No desire to go to Asia? :exploding_head:

4 Likes

I think a non-stop to Ireland would do just as well as the non-stop to Iceland.

6 Likes

Yea I would love to see a direct flight to Shanghai. I use to go to China 1 or 2 times a year and there was great 45 min connection on United via Chicago to Beijing, shanghai or Hong Kong, Was about 16 hour total. So yea kind of long trip for just for a day or so. I would go for min of 2 weeks. I mention else where here, where United held a 747 to China in Chicago for 15 mind past departure time when flight from RDU was held on ground at end of runs way for an hour for some reason. Use to be a great place to be tourist.but I have not been to China for 4 years. I have some good friends there I would like to visit. Email and Text messages are just not the same and have to be careful what I say so not to piss off the Chinese monitors being 2 of friends are University professors. There are also more places I would like to see there. Two of my beat trips was 3 weeks in Tibet in 2005 and a month in 2010 that included 3 days at Shanghai world’ s fair. Sorry to say the flights to China are now a lot longer and a lot more expensive being can not fly over Russia anymore. :disappointed::disappointed:

1 Like

There’s not really much I want to see or do over there, and most of the countries are not particularly safe. Japan is cool, obviously got a whole weird side too. Korea is fine but other than some interesting food I could get here, i don’t know anything about them that I’d want to see. They also eat dogs in some places, which would make me lose my mind, plus there’s their insane neighbor to the north. China is not something I’d want to deal with. I’ll just leave it at that. Thailand and Vietnam and the Philippines are fairly poor/dangerous. I’m probably forgetting some countries, but that’s the inside my head view of Asia. It’s just a long trip and a lot of hassle for not that much payoff. So many cool places in Europe I need to see first. I’d definitely do Australia and New Zealand if I could stand the long flight. I’d definitely advocate for more direct flights from RDU to Europe.

1 Like

Becoming more well traveled (in general) would very likely help one gain a better understanding of what Asia has to offer. Even if that starts with trips to Europe doing the basics, getting comfortable with travel, and learning from others.

Asia has some of the most beautiful scenery on the planet, excellent diverse food, kind people, and culture/history.

Not to mention the commercial implications of an Asian direct connection.

12 Likes

I agree, on the food front, I do not go to Chinese joints here anymore after eating real Chinese food in China.

1 Like

While I appreciate American-Chinese food in the same way I appreciate Chipotle as its own genre, Chuan Cafe does a pretty creditable Szechuan meal. I haven’t been yet, but people say Taipei 101 is a strong choice for legit Chinese/Taiwanese food.

2 Likes

Alaska Air has ditched the hyphen for us.

Was also only “Raleigh” at the gate in Seattle this morning.

16 Likes

You can fly from Sea-Tac to Redmond? Washington? lol

I know that you used to be able to fly from gso to RDU. It was a one stop from Chicago. 9 minutes air time.

1 Like

Taipei 101 is decent. But for authentic Taiwanese options, I think Taipei Cafe is the best in the area. It’s a hole in the wall but their beef noodle soup is the best. Chuan Cafe…I’m pretty sure I got food poisoning there…twice. I don’t go anymore even though it’s right down the street from me. For best Sichuan cuisine it’s probably C&T Wok in Morrisville.

G58 remains the best authentic Chinese, and honesty the best representation of some other regional cuisines outside of Szechuan and Cantonese. I think their Peking Duck is the best I’ve had outside of China, and that includes the duck at Mott 32 in Vegas. And their Sichuan Fish is also amazing. I just wish they would switch out their menu more.

1 Like

But what does it meeeaann?

That’s Redmond, OR haha. Had to look it up myself

2 Likes

I personally think a direct flight from RDU to either Madrid or Barcelona would get a lot of travel. I just saw this on the Charlotte Biz Journal that their airport is going to get nonstop direct flights starting up to Madrid. Back in 2010 I use to live in Madrid and had to either fly back via JKF/La Guardia or Atlanta then RDU so I’d be a big fan if RDU got a direct flight IMO

Never been to Spain? NC airport now going year-round - Triangle Business Journal (bizjournals.com)

6 Likes

It’s great for me tryna travel there.

They’ve had the Madrid flight for a while, it’s moving to year round from seasonal now. I still think Germany or Amsterdam would be a logical next add. There’s also rumors of VS and maybe DL having interest in another RDU-LHR.

1 Like

Is VS Virgin Atlantic?

RSU has got to get a hold of the helium balloon issue at termjnal 2. It’s out of control! So many broken dreams!

12 Likes