RDU Expansion/2040 Master Plan

Hell yeah. Beale Street, delicious bbq, the Bass Pro Shop in the pyramid.

In the fall, go to the best tailgate experience in college football in the Grove at Ole Miss.

3 Likes

Agreed, Beale Street is really cool. The one time I was there, it happened to be the week of the International Blues Challenge, and it was a great experience. We were there for less than twelve hours, so we only got one dinner there, but the ribs at Charlie Vergos’ Rendezvous blew my mind. Would absolutely go back.

That said, I’m of the opinion that you can have a fun weekend in almost any city (even the “boring” ones) as long as you do a little bit of research first.

7 Likes

Beale St, Peabody Hotel to see the ducks, Redbirds play baseball right across the street, Charlie Vega’s is right there too. Graceland for those who want to see a true spectacle of popular cultural. My vote goes for Central Bbq as the best in town. May is a big month - bbq festival and a lot of cultural events going on. In the 90s, there was an eerie quality to downtown. Lots of 20s and 50s era sky scraper, esp around the square, all of them empty. But like all downtowns, its experienced a rejuvenation.

3 Likes

26 Likes

Excellent. I’ve always wanted to see Narsarsuaq in the springtime.

Have you seen the crazy Icelandair prices from Raleigh now? Euro flight demands from RDU is high. No-brainer.

2 Likes

All flights to Europe are really high priced right now. I was planning on visiting a friend in Germany later this year but these prices are giving me pause.
From what I’ve learned, the prices are a result of a 1-2 punch. The first is that many airlines retired a good amount of their aging fleets like American ditching their 757s and 767s (not crying about that), but they haven’t replaced their fleet yet and miscalculated the demand post pandemic. The second is that staffing is still short. Many airlines offered early retirement to pilots and now they are facing a labor shortage.

9 Likes

We are going to Rome the end of May. I didnt even ask what the price was. Somethings are better left unsaid.

5 Likes

TBJ had a roundup of upcoming restaurants and bars opening inside the airport this year. I previously saw that 42nd St Oyster Bar had closed there, which was my favorite pre-flight spot. They mentioned Lonerider and Raleigh Beer Garden coming, as well as Adios!, by local chef Oscar Diaz; Cary’s Bond Brothers Taproom & Kitchen (finally?), Raleigh’s Bongiorno and Son; Butcher’s Burger & Bar; Conniption Cocktail Bar (Durham Distillery), Dunkin’, Half Moon Empanadas; and Guy’s Pizza Joint by Guy Fieri. Beyú Caffé will open in both terminals later this year. Black & White Coffee Roasters and concepts from Scott Crawford are coming to Terminal 2 Marketplace and on the C Concourse.

17 Likes

I’m surprised I haven’t seen you at 42nd term 2 ever. Meet up tomorrow morning? 4:45a work for you?

1 Like

Within the past week and a half RDU has added Melbourne and Wilmington (DE) on Avelo with JetBlue restarting service to San Juan.

4 Likes

I was about to get really excited about a direct Melbourne flight before I realized there’s a Melbourne, Florida.

5 Likes

Gotta buy me a plane ticket to eat there. Pretty exclusive.

I had same reaction. was about to start planning a month long trip to tour OZ. :dollar:

Bond actually opened briefly in C concourse in January 2020. The concessions operator managing that unit this time around will be different.

2 Likes

Just ran the numbers:

• RDU carried 1,150,491 passengers in March. Up by 37,925 from March 2019.
  • In February, RDU Carried around 888,294 passengers. Up by 7,125 from February 2019.
  • In January, RDU carried 884,984, down by 39,995 from January 2019.

This gives us the idea that RDU will have recovered fully this year and will see around 14.3M people this year. RDU will have service to 65 airports (the most in a long time, if not ever). The domestic network map would look like this:

20 Likes

42nd St (at RDU) is officially closed.
:sob:

1 Like

I already said that. :2nd_place_medal:
Sorry, that was harsh. I’m still dealing with my grief.

1 Like

Doh!! I recalled “was closing” but clearly misremembered. My bad! No less traumatic for me!

Domestically, I would want PDX, San Diego, San Jose, and San Antonio, and then we would be perfect. Internationally, Amsterdam and Frankfurt are ideal, and maybe Mexico City for the near future. I know we want Asia, but I just don’t see that happening…yet.

5 Likes