RDU Expansion/2040 Master Plan

I think it’s actually 4. I thought they said last year that if they kept on track, it would be done 2027 ish

100% - I have also heard that there could be some unsuitable soils which will have to be replaced, there will be tons and tons of export/import of soils. I was recently talking to a local contractor with national presence who is bidding on the project that this will be a new runway to accommodate capacity which means that they will have to dry out some wetlands and backfill with import soils. We have to think about protected areas, working around an active runway and an active airport. There is also a limited pool of labor who can gain access to the secured side of the airport. Also, some if this work can only be done at night because of less traffic around active runways. The list goes on and on

11 Likes

I think it’s odd that they tore down the perfectly good Sheets (I understand they’re “upgrading”) before there was an alternative gas outlet open next door. That was a pretty convenient location for rentals to gas up before returning. Btw, they made quick work tearing out the Sheets and starting on the new building.

4 Likes

Sheetz is technically an RDUAA tenant, since it sits on airport property. RDU Galleria is not (the property boundary is National Guard Drive), so they’re developing without any input or assistance from the Authority.

Sheetz is making quick work of their site redevelopment, though. My understanding is that it’ll be ready to roll in time for the holidays.

7 Likes

Also note that the RDU Galleria (and everything on RDU Center Dr) is in the Cary city limits.

4 Likes

Some great points here, most of which I never thought of. The beauty of having such a great community of folks here with varied backgrounds and skillsets.

4 Likes

The (Shell I think) gas station appears to be open now, FYI.

Icelandair: Raleigh (RDU) increase to 6x weekly in 2024 (up from 5x weekly in 2023)

22 Likes

A visit to Iceland is on my bucket list. Every geologist needs to go there at least once in their lives :stuck_out_tongue:
I’ll start on that list once I finish my 50 states half marathon goal. haha

3 Likes

Breeze to LAS and TPA launching on September 7th.

4 Likes

Wow, quite some good info this week. RDU just announced they were 7% above 2019 passenger levels during Memorial Day weekend & have also announced they just approved to advance planning & conceptual designs for terminal 1 expansion

16 Likes

https://www.newsobserver.com/

New video shows some of RDU’s expansion plans.

Can’t figure out how to just embed video.

RDU can be a huge economic engine & needs to grow…ideally get a hub some day but investment needs to continue

6 Likes

That was a fun short video, other than the 3 times it was interrupted with commercials. I mean, come on. It’s a freaking short news video, not a half hour sitcom!

2 Likes

I was paywalled can some copy the article here?

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/article276329161.html

Terminal 1 and Terminal 2 are both going to get bigger per this article.

Terminal 1 has nine gates and houses three airlines: Southwest, Avelo and Spirit. In 2020, RDU began to consider options for adding 7, 12 or 15 gates, along with changes to ticketing and baggage claim areas, security checkpoints and potentially the road and drop-off zone in front of the terminal. On Thursday, the airport board approved a $3.5 million contract to help it determine what it wants to accomplish with a larger building and lay the groundwork. This phase of planning will result in conceptual designs and renderings and rough cost estimates by the end of 2024.

Terminal 2 has 36 gates, though planes can occupy no more than 33 at a time because of space constraints on the tarmac. RDU hopes to add another 20 gates by 2050 by extending both concourses and adding two piers in the middle. None of that construction can begin until the new runway opens.

That good I think Terminal 1 is the best for a Avelo Hub, I think that airline will realize the impact of a hub since Raleigh or Wake County have no control over expansion and getting a hub. I know NIMBYs tried to block a FedEX hub according to my dad said they were concerned about “Noise complaints” just some bullshit. Unfortunately they were successful of that my dad said it comes down to race white people will compliant because it may have environmental “impacts” to the neighborhoods, but my dad added you know blacks wouldn’t care if it impacted them because that means its more jobs. One of the reason im tired of all these black “activists” these fake consciousness folks at the council they are annoying.

1 Like

A big reason the FedEx hub failed also had to do with the fact that it wouldn’t just impact the airport. It would’ve had a high increase in trucking traffic and would’ve had a lot of land used for massive distribution & sorting centers. Compared to a commercial airline where they can stay on the airport footprint and it’s not only just the airline expanding, and rather the airport. At that point, it’s only Umstead activists that could argue and I can’t imagine they’d hold any ground just because it is “close to umstead”

3 Likes

True im just glad the city nor country have no control. Otherwise what for avelo to expand and we have the hub spot. I’ll give it maybe this year maybe next year I see it happening this decade nd I feel they’ll take over Terminal 1 since that’s the most spacious.

Delta restarting daily CVG in September and a once weekly CUN from December to April.

11 Likes

Hopefully, this is a first step to resuming those hub plans they considered.

Also, it’s worth noting that RDU is the second fastest growing airport in the country this year

8 Likes