RDU Expansion/2040 Master Plan

Oh, that’s interesting. Where did you see that list?

It was on a recent WRAL or ABC11 broadcast I watched

1 Like

I’m somewhat confused by the market for this sort of thing. Do people other than taxi drivers really have a lot of time to kill waiting outside the airport? Who wants an office space with a grand view of (potentially explosive) gas pumps?

Or maybe I’m underestimating the number of Hertz customers desperate for EV chargers. Personally, I prefer to walk around a bit while charging, but then again I never understood the appeal of loitering in a gas-station parking lot.

4 Likes

As someone who often drives 90-120 min’s to get to an airport, it is nice to have a place to hang out while you wait for the arrival of whoever you are getting. There are a number of flights my wife takes that require me to leave before she takes off, so it can be tricky. I can see it being useful to a lot of folks that aren’t from the triangle.

1 Like

Some people arrive very early to pick up arrivals. Gas and even EV chargers near your rental location is a must. As for office space, the most common reason for office near airports is that it cuts down on travel time once you get to the city you are headed to. Not saying I agree with it as a strategy but I’d probably prefer it over being in an Apex office park or something.

2 Likes

Bought a 1 way to Berlin from RDU on Icelandair for about $550 in October. This is just slightly more expense than the alternative of flying to NYC using whatever airline is the cheapest and then catching a budget flight to Europe from another airline. Also peace of mind of not being stuck in NYC or missed flights or cancelled flights.

I think we’re fortunate that Icelandair is here just hope for non-stop service to Berlin in the future!

14 Likes

Delta dropping frequency to 3x and AF picking up 3x for the winter schedule starting in October. AF is speculated to pick up the daily route for next summer, possibly freeing DL for another TA flight.

5 Likes

That took me a few reads to figure out, lol. Air France has, or had, very nice cabin service even coach. There is something to be said for big state subsidized flagship carriers, even if they never make any money.

8 Likes

"The 4,052-mile flight is blocked at 9hr5min westbound and 7hr40min eastbound. Air France will use a Boeing 787-9 for the service, featuring 276 seats. This includes 30 business class seats, 21 premium economy seats, and 225 economy class seats.

This will be the first regularly scheduled international Boeing 787 service to Raleigh. "

Big upgrade!

25 Likes

Quick clarification on this: Air France will absorb the route entirely starting October 30, where the frequency will go to Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. Delta will not serve the route directly after that date.

They’ll also fly it with a 787 Dreamliner (Delta currently uses a 767).

12 Likes

Based on that, I’m guessing DL will be starting a new TA route sometime in the future. I know RDU was previously in discussions for AMS (prior to Covid), so if they’ve managed to find a way of getting a slot (despite restrictions), maybe they could start operating AMS. KLM is very restricted on aircraft, so perhaps this is Air France-KLM’s way of getting flights between AMS & here… by having DL start the route with AF (who has more aircraft available) taking the CDG route.

But this is just a little speculation.

4 Likes

You kids and your flying acronyms… :wink:

This is pretty awesome. Nice big, modern planes. Great gateway to all of Europe without having to worry about multiple layovers in the US to get messed up. We took the Delta-run flight to Paris last year and that was so nice to have. This just seems like more good news in the sense that it’s an upgraded plane, with likely more 2nd stop European destinations with the same airline.

6 Likes

AMS = Amsterdam. I have no idea what TA is. How about it @bnsy17. What does TA stand for? I’m guessing transatlantic.

4 Likes

If CDG wasnt so notorious for being laid out worse than JFK this would be ideal!! Last time I changed planes in Paris, we almost missed the door to go down stairs to get on a bus that then took us around to our next terminal - which was a lovely space. But signage was absent, and it was only by luck that my traveling companion said “wait, I think we go down here.” (corrections for lack of coffee brain fog typos)

1 Like

LOL honestly I was so out of it from jetlag, I barely remember being in CDG. That was my 3rd time tho, and I’ve always managed to find my way out. Never did a connecting flight from there tho. But I’d think if you were to fly now on Air France to Paris and then your final destination, both flights would be in the same terminal (or close by)?

The metro system there confused me enough. Thank God for all their black Mercedes Ubers…

1 Like

Better than Heathrow, at least.

1 Like

I will take your word on that, I’ve never had the pleasure of visiting or even changing plans in London. I do know Frankfurt and Amsterdam were both easy to use.

1 Like

Not sure about TA. There used to be a TWA.

AF is apparently Air France, and not the common internet abbreviation.

For those confused, TA is transatlantic.

I’ve also looked at it, and it appears that Air France will land at RDU at 5:35PM, and leave at 7:45PM (just over 2 hours). Right now, Delta arrives at 2:15 and leaves at 6:05 (just under 4 hours). This just supplies my speculation, along with the fact that Air France is only running 3x weekly the entire year as far as I’m aware. That original time frame DL used for the CDG flight could possibly be used for another flight. If they left at 4:30-5, and was an 8.5 hour flight (how long Atlanta’s is), they’d arrive in AMS at around 7-7:30AM (AMS time)

2 Likes

AF is running 3x weekly for the winter season, with speculation of whether they’d pick up DL’s daily for summer ‘24. I’m still hesitant on AMS due to their slot restrictions and general disorganization following last summer.

4 Likes