Renovation at Historic Ideal Cleaning Co. & Lumsden Bros. Building

Kind of like what they did to the Dilion and what they will do with the building that 5 Star Chinese is in?

Exactly. Saving the skin, I guess you could say.

2 Likes

Sounds good to me. The inside of that place was so decrepit. I don’t really care if they save the outside, frankly, but it’s cool that they did. Excited to see the finished product.

1 Like

I was making more of a commentary on the title of this thread. Certainly never expected that the interior would actually be renovated because it had deteriorated a lot.

1 Like

I, for one, think the interior of the building was glorious with all its 1920’s original charm layered with 90 years of patina. You could have had 2 or 4 nice apartments on floors 2 and 3 with some upfit that maintained original layout and major architectural elements (pressed tin ceilings, door moldings, window trim, skylit stairwell. The wood in that building was probably from the last stands of virgin timber coming from western or south central NC.

3 Likes
9 Likes

I almost forgot they were adding a 5th floor.

5 Likes

That building is pretty neat.

1 Like

From this morning.

7 Likes

I know there are construction managers and inspecting engineers to oversee this, but the last time I walked by there (Monday) the center of the facade had bowed out about 2 inches. I didn’t note any structural tie-ins yet so I wouldn’t walk in front of it until that sucker is looking a little more solid.

1 Like

10 Likes

6 Likes

Really fills in that gap, I love it!!

2 Likes

Addition will make it interesting, but the original building is about as generic a brick box as you possibly get.

True, but it’s all that we have to work with. It’s either completley tear down or rehab…

1 Like

4 Likes

Did you ever go it in? It had all the elements of a a commercial building from the 1910-1930 period. The pressed tin pattern was one of the coolest I’ve seen. The skylit stairwell also reminisced of hotel and apartment atriums. FWIW, the rear portion of the building was an older warehouse that was built between 1903 and 1909, a good 20 years before the front part of the building. Since that is the same period as the mortuary next door built in 1906 (Death and Taxes), my guess is is it was part of that operation. It would have made excellent urban loft apartments in its old form.

1 Like

Clearscapes posted this interior pic of the renovations on their Instagram today.

10 Likes

Is there a heck of a slop on that cinder block back wall?
The brick mason’s had plenty of mortar I see, lol.