Residential Infill along New Bern - Edenton

Ok finally remembered. I feel certain I read there was a Battle family estate in this area. I’ve accounted for a few of the antebellum places out this direction but not this house…however with its antebellum looking outline, seemed like it could have been the Battle house I read about (just not sure where I read that now)

2 Likes

@Mark William Horn Battle (17 Oct. 1802–4 Mar. 1879) came to Wake County after Thomas P. Devereaux’ resignation as reporter to the state supreme court in 1839. In looking up the Battle family papers, I can’t quite get a pin on their land holdings in Raleigh. William Horn Battle is buried in Oakwood Cemetery.

Kemp Plummer Battle (19 Dec. 1831–4 Feb. 1919) had residences in Wake and Orange County, but by 1910 he was mostly spending time in Chapel Hill. He’s also buried in Oakwood Cemetary.

Kemp Plummer Battle Jr’s address was listed in the 1910 Hill Directory at 310 North Wilmington. Richard H Battle’s address was 11 E Lane.

The house that I attributed as 900 New Bern Ave was a guess as it was set back with the front facing Idlewild, and the numbering for the next block would have started from there.

It appears Italianate in style with the small, central front porch and symmetric massing to either side. That style was pretty popular from 1840 to 1885. But, it almost appears that it, and the Proctor house at 800 New Bern predated the Sewell Grove incorporation.

5 Likes

1010 New Bern, according to the 1909 Hill Directory, belonged to Roarer E McCauley, proprietor of the Raleigh Cleaning and Repairing Company.

1 Like

Looks like 908 New Bern which had been posted here before (18 1-unit condos from 5 Horizons) tripped the dev bot last night for ASR. Here’s the previous link:

5 Likes

Interesting, small row homes. That is a lot of density on one plot of land.

Looks Greek Revival to me. Oak View, Seth Jones house on Louisburg Road, and the Porter House right there on New Bern, all fit that bill as well.
The flanking one story porches almost remind me of some classical designs out there but I can’t imagine a classical house of this size being built on such a huge lot this close in to town. Anyway, that’s my take. I lack most historical resources and have been developing all of this from my own driving and walking observations.
As an aside, I note at least three antebellum houses in downtown Raleigh that had Italianate or victorian details added later, the Richard Haywood houses bay windows are clearly cut in later, the Lewis Smith house also had those two story bay windows added alter as did the Josephus Daniels house on South street, so updating to a ‘modern’ aesthetic was not uncommon, as you know.

1 Like

I like all the windows on these.

Having to resort to using the 1872 Drie map (just because it’s quick and easy) and I can’t make it to the State Archives to peruse their maps just at the moment.

But, the Procter house (in the middle left of this frame) at 800 New Bern Avenue was standing in 1872. And, the 1909 Hill Directory mentions that I. M. Procter Sr.(02 Jul 1854 - 17 Feb 1928) was a farmer. From his family’s geneaology page, he was born in Eagle Rock (east of Knightdale, served as a Justice of the Peace in Little River in 1886, and had moved to Raleigh by the 1910 census. He’s buried at Oakwood Cemetery.

So, that estate was antebellum, and probably much larger in size before Raleigh expanded eastward. Procter, Sr. probably didn’t build it, but had moved there later. That home then likely went to his son, the obstetrician, by 1914. But, this gives a sense of the WoodPile lot’s provenance.

@Mark That still doesn’t settle the mystery of the next house/estate to the east (?900 New Bern Ave). This is the area of the former Idlewild Plantation of John W. Cotton (?Battle) being subdivided in 1869. To the north of New Bern, it was called ‘Idlewild,’ but to the south it was called ‘Cotton Place.’ Could the mystery house be the original estate home? That will require a little more research.

The first State Fairgrounds was laid out further south between Hargett and Davie Streets. Opened in 1853 to promulgate scientific agricultural practices, later to be used as a Confederate training site, then burned down by Union troops, and finally rebuilt once before moving to the west side of the city in 1873.

Camp Dan Russell and Pettigrew Hospital (CSA Hospital 13), which later became the Old Soldier’s Home can be seen in the upper left of this frame at the corner of New Bern and Tarboro. The last resident moved out in 1938 with the property becoming the Raleigh Recreation Center. The structures were demolished after 1948, to later become the (now) soon-departing NC DMV.

4 Likes

Interesting nugget of information on the College Park/Idlewild neighborhoods from a summary done by the City of Raleigh back in 1994.

https://www.raleighnc.gov/content/PlanDev/Documents/LongRange/RedevelopmentPlans/College_Park_Idlewild.pdf

5 Likes

Construction fencing now up at 625 New Bern. Non-residential demolition permit applied for 10/09/2019. Still in review

5 Likes

They are perfect little human pods.

Another little nugget on this neighborhood, courtesy of the City of Raleigh…

5 Likes

The current Hargett Oaks makeover looks pretty nice. Across the lot, trees are being cleared out so maybe more housing will start being built soon.

9 Likes

It’s amazing what a simple coat of paint can do.

2 Likes

New roof, awnings, windows,… also

3 Likes

Also, they’ll be hell to pay if that cat statue isn’t kept. :laughing:

5 Likes

Added some porches too.

Haven’t been by there in awhile to see the additional work. I’m glad they’re making some investment in the place, though.

I especially like the blank wall on the gable end with all the trash cans lined up. :wink:
You’d think that they’d think of shrubbing that up a bit, wouldn’t you?

1 Like

It was trash day so I imagine they are just out to get picked up.