Residential Infill along New Bern - Edenton

that’s interesting, thanks for sharing.

Which I agree, this area has the potential for more residential and the potential to go vertical, but the recent level of vanilla some of these projects deliver is trash.

VS this :

Sign me up for option B any day of the week.

3 Likes

what have you been hearing? I live near the BoJangles and am very interested in development in this area. I keep meaning to chat up the contractors I am seeing at the old KFC at 1221 New Bern and am still quite curious about the DMV building.

There are four new builds on Bart/Pettigrew that are almost done and one reconstruction on Hargett/Bart. So seems to be lots of interest in this area. There is also the incoming Edenton Court Subdivision Edenton Court Subdivision on Tarboro.

1 Like

Totally agree on a general level.

To play a bit of devil’s advocate, a lot of Asian cities have incredible street life despite miles and miles of bland, essentially architecture-free 4-5 story buildings. Density by itself can be interesting.

20 Likes

My understanding is Five Horizons is selling to another development group who is planning the renovations

1 Like

To be fair, we will never see the sort of density of Asian cities in Raleigh in our lifetimes. We also won’t see the sort of unregulated development that leads to scenes like this with nearly zero landscaping and buildings pulled nearly all the way to the street with just the essence of sidewalks. Are they walking in a street in this photo, or is that just a big bike lane that they are walking on?

2 Likes

I always think this is a poor comparison. Texture and scale can override architectural quality.

What I mean is: put one ugly 5-story building on an entire city block and the pedestrian experience won’t be anything like what you find in Asian cities.

Put 10 smaller mediocre buildings on that block instead, each with different materials, separate building entrances, and an organized sense of chaos, and now you’ve got interest, variety, texture, and life. Unfortunately, what gets built here is the former, and that’s why the architectural quality matters more here – we’re relying on that architecture for texture and interest, rather than the interest that is inherent to a group of buildings.

10 Likes

That kinda reminds me of the Maeklong Outdoor Market in Thailand, not sure if anyone here has heard of it. Basically an big, grand outdoor market has to move out the way 4 times a day as a train has to drive through it.

Not lying, see what I’m talking about.

2 Likes

nothing unsafe or disgusting about that ‘local market’…the wet markets of China where we can most likely thank the last 2 years for are on par…but worse

Yeah I’d have a hard time wanting to eat anything a train drives over multiple times a day. Hard pass for me for sure.

Home sales in the area have really picked up momentum in the last couple weeks. With a majority of them being under contract or sold before the construction is complete, with two townhomes on Tipton going under contract just after they broke ground.

Tipton :

All Four townhomes on Hargett are under contract.

All Four townhomes on Gregg St are also under contract.

Empty lot on Blount St under contract.

Every single unit from Oak City Overlook and 625 New Bern are sold.

9 Likes

Man, there is absolutely no way my wife and I are going to be able to afford a house ITB this year. :confused:

4 Likes

Awesome news for ITB as a whole, but re: the Tipton and Gregg projects - what’s the developers’ problem with windows? That’s a whole lot of uninterrupted siding and it feels like the middle townhouses must be quite dark.

1 Like

All depends on what your looking for, this one’s still listed at $280k and 1,700 square feet. Needs a little work, but appears to have good bones.

Townhomes off Poole are ITB :sunglasses:

That might be something we end up going for. Not a very bikeable area (Poole and Sunnybrook are both stroads out that way), but at least we could take the bus to downtown in less than thirty minutes.

That’s just it… with the amount of money it would take to put work into it, I might as well just buy something that’s already in good shape. We’re not struggling by any stretch, but we certainly won’t be able to afford renovations right after buying in this market.

6 Likes

I originally looked at fixer uppers over here (East of Raleigh Blvd, North of New Bern) and a 3 year old house ended up seeming like a better deal because the amount it was more expensive seemed cheaper than making the fixer uppers okay at the time. Totally get that.

2 Likes

My wife and I bought last year in the southeast corner of the beltline, right off walnut creek, and the greenway access more than makes up for the stroads. And, more on topic, we’re hopeful the TOD overlay along New Bern gives us even closer amenities (besides Alamo strip mall). There isn’t a constant stream of houses on the market but they’re definitely cheaper if you’re willing to live in a less invested area with older homes.

12 Likes

Welcome to the community! That’s encouraging to hear. Southeast corner of the beltline is probably our best chance at ITB these days.

4 Likes

Looks like they are getting the site further down on New Bern ready for development.

7 Likes