Residential Infill along New Bern - Edenton

mini-mart where all the shootings occurred was moving out last week…1601NB, I think. Heard they were evicted. That’s the building I hear is under contract to be ‘repurposed’.

The greater Carolina Pines area, although not ITB, is very close to DTR. Closer than some areas ITB. And although non-car access is less than ideal, the proximity is killer. I’ve biked from my house OTB to Redhat amphitheatre in 15 mins flat. I also just received notice in the mail that the city is considering traffic calming measures on Sierra Dr (sorely needed) so that’s good!!

8 Likes

605 New Bern. Interesting building. Big lot too.

10 Likes

Tough to make the math work at that price given upfit costs.

Maybe some townhomes, quad-plex, or 8-plex as well?

3 Likes

Would be a shame to lose a potential retail spot in this area.

1 Like

Oh I meant in addition to renovating the existing building for retail.

1 Like

I do like Carolina Pines. South of downtown is really my one exception for not being ITB, since it’s so close anyway.

2 Likes

Interesting update that could change the fundamentals of the “missing middle”-building market in this area: last week, GoRaleigh board meeting featured a presentation on the draft New Bern BRT land use plan with this surprising slide. It implies that the City intends to initiate rezoning along the New Bern/Edenton corridor later this year to enable denser residential and mixed-use developments.

If the city initiates the rezoning process, it makes it cheaper (or at least, quicker and easier) for developers to build non-SFH houses since developers won’t have to waste time making the case for rezoning places when the city implies that it wants that anyways. This map from the BRT thread shows the parcels that the study recommends to be rezoned:

The transit-oriented district (TOD) overlay will also encourage developers to include affordable units by giving them a density bonus (i.e. the right to build taller) in return. Here are the overlay locations and their height limits:

20 Likes

being born in Raleigh in 69 im not sure the solely vertical option is all that swell. downtown had always been city, some county and a lot of state govt commutes. yes, lawyers and bankers too with a short drive in most cases. the major hospitals and health dept (dense employers were outside of the core). the spread-out nature, and now with a semi-second core near north hills, and all the rtp commutes i think raleigh has done a rather unique job without shoving everyone into a central core. sure …more frequent transit may encourage a few to bus more.

Some action on feb 11 at the old kfc

6 Likes

Do we know what this is going to be once renovations are complete?

1 Like
9 Likes

Thanks @bartonfj! That post is from Nov19. I’m curious if that’s still the plan.

1 Like

House on New Bern destroyed by fire

There were a TON of fire and EMS trucks filling up New Bern trying to fight this fire last night (very close to the building with the ‘Welcome to Raleigh Y’all’ mural).

2 Likes

This was literally across the street from us and really surprised at the response. There were 14 firetrucks and several ambulances. Fortunately no one was hurt although one house was destroyed and the rental right next door was damaged and folks had to relocate while it’s being repaired. It’s too early to tell what will be rebuilt but will pass it along once I hear.

5 Likes

Is anyone else annoyed with the lack of content lately?

Anyways, this is an incredible use of space with a new courtyard, that appears to be designed with openings from maybe garage doors. Pool table, fire pit in the court yard, new landscaping with tree planters, I really like the direction this is going so far.

10 Likes

haha, this is one of my DSCA sites :upside_down_face:

What’s the source and context for this? Looks great

1 Like

New Bern mini mart renovation into a bar.

2 Likes