Residential Infill along New Bern - Edenton

How did you find out about this? This is great!! Finally the transformation of NB begins!!

4 Likes

I check regularly for content. I need to add some.

Pettigrew and Bart there are three new SFH being finished.

Battery drive and New Bern there is a new development rezone on three lots that seems likely to pass despite planning commission not recommending it. Z-57-2021

Hargett between Tarboro and east has tons of new development, I see Leo posting that.

New bern has a few interesting developments. Is there an east way to follow specific]development sites. Like the lot across from the Monica teen center on Tarboro and Boyer.

Also this is the last time I post from my phone ha!

11 Likes

Not sure if it’s been posted here yet. But the City acquired the Duplex Village properties on the south side of New Bern in between Raleigh Blvd to the west, Russ St to the east (next to the Milner Church/DHIC/City of Raleigh’s upcoming senior affordable housing project) and Hawkins to the south. This will likely become a tax credit project with a mix of both market rate and affordable rental units.

Also, the New Bern Station Area Planning recommendations will be out soon.

12 Likes

Here’s edenton court subdivision I was referring to.

Can anyone tell me about what the timeline of this development is and the likeliness of it happening?

1 Like

Duke Energy replacing an electric pole someone slammed into at Swaim Street and Edenton. Pretty cool to watch them lift the whole thing in one go.

7 Likes

Hearing all kinds of interesting rumors about 1601 New Bern tenants. Heard a cool bar is coming in possibly (think someone may have already posted this), coffee shop along with maybe even a restaurant. Sounds like work may commence on exterior work in the next month or so!!

9 Likes

Do we think they’d have a first mover’s advantage …or do they still face an uphill battle until more concepts continue to turn over around them??

Could end up being a cool corridor in the years ahead with the Alamo shopping center also having potential for some proper food and bev concepts too.

4 Likes

Alamo strip is getting Little Blue Bakehouse:

:white_small_square:Neighborhood Coffee Shop + Bakery
:white_small_square:Small Incubator Kitchen for Local Bakery/Sweets Businesses
:white_small_square:Coming Spring/Summer 2022

14 Likes

They are 1st mover for sure. From what I’ve heard there has been incredibly high demand for the space…and they haven’t even advertised it as available…all ‘word of mouth’.

That corridor is on the cusp of finally getting a long overdue makeover. Now if we can get rid of cook-out & bojangles…

3 Likes

That Cook Out is a Raleigh landmark. I hope it never leaves.

8 Likes

Yes, this is correct, I’m hoping to share more information soon, once I receive it. I posted the rough plans a couple weeks ago.

@jb50 This development will definitely have first mover’s advantage. The new wave of residents are beginning to vastly outnumber the current customers of New Bern Mini mart. The East Raleigh and St. Aug area is badly needing a neighborhood bar, this will become popular overnight.

Like @oakcityyimby mentioned Cook out and Bojangles need to stay. I rarely eat out and especially fast food, but we have almost ZERO late night food options like Cook Out, and Bojangles is one of few quick Breakfast spots we have.

15 Likes

This is the cookout I grew up near, in a rural area where people don’t want to drive 20 minutes back home to eat. Lots of indoor seating:

The NCSU cookout has a ton of outdoor seating too. If the New Bern corridor develops and becomes more walkable, it would be nice to see that cookout convert to have some outdoor and hopefully indoor seating.

6 Likes

Oxford? If so, ive sat outside there a lot.

You’ve got it! Maybe we can start a “Where in NC was this cookout picture taken?” thread

4 Likes

Haha would be the coolest thread ever. Lol

Indoor cook outs seem fake to me. Like they’re tryna be too fancy or something.

4 Likes

Good stuff. I’m just south of new bern a few blocks away. Feels like there is a whole lot of pent up commercial demand just waiting on the BRT construction to be the catalyst for the revitalization before they make a bet on the area…so, i love to hear about the plans for the mini mart upfit.

1 Like

I’m sure there will be some vocal resistance to any changes in the surrounding neighborhoods, but the business case for continued conversion in TOD is hard to deny.

There are still plenty of patrons in the remaining stores, but the Martin St mini mart strip has a similarly enormous potential for conversion.

3 Likes

You’d get a kick out of the Warsaw, NC Cookout. Warsaw has always been the bathroom break exit going to the NC coast and their new(ish) Cookout opened a few years ago. I think they were going for a more rustic interior look.

When my wife and I first started dating when she was still a Duke student we went to the Cookout near the Green Wheenie building off 15/501 and they had like more sports memorabilia inside there. So looks like there’s no rules when it comes to dine-in Cookouts :man_shrugging:

6 Likes

Looks like the Cook Out on Richmond Road in Williamsburg, VA also.