Rezoning - Z-2019-16 - Hargett, Salisbury, Martin, Fayetteville block

The Council of No is going to faint when they see all these 40-story rezoning requests!

7 Likes

These were actually built and resemble the character of the neighboring stores.

This side doesnā€™t resemble the other store fronts, but I still like it.

3 Likes

You obviously havenā€™t been there. The work is amazing. The Brick Work alone is some of the best I have seen in a modern construction.

3 Likes

In light of the reality that Wake Co. is teeing up a 10% property tax rate increase, they may pause and think about it a bit. 40 floors of building creates a lot more tax revenue and positions the city to better deal with rising costs.

2 Likes

Just for info, saw where Charlotte is planning on a tax rate reduction of 1 cent. A policy that creates more tax revenue through higher density sounds good to me.

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/local/article230069979.html

Higher property values allow a government to collect the same amount of tax revenue after a revaluation under a lower, revenue-neutral property-tax rate.

2 Likes

Yeah, that happens every time thereā€™s a reevaluation in Raleigh as well. That said, the hotter areas of town will see tax increases due to the new values, while slower appreciating parts of town might see tax reductions.

Yeah, let me just move the whole convo here since it took place on a speculative thread and this thread has an actual rezoning request attached.

1 Like

Poor Kay will need an oxygen mask before she hyperventilates from the fits of laughter

7 Likes

Iā€™m not going to tell you what to like or not like, but I run by One City Center every week and watched it go up. Iā€™m not saying they have a completely authentic historical look, and I honestly donā€™t know the condition of what was there previously. That being said, I absolutely love how they did this project. Tall, modern glass building you can see from everywhere with a fantastic job of setbacks so that the average pedestrian doesnā€™t even notice itā€™s there when they walk by. It should be a model of how tall buildings are done in smaller cities. Miles better than the ground floor retail with 7 stories of screened parking decks and a 10 story box on top.

6 Likes

So looking at the zoning request map at the top of this page - is there one lot omitted? And is that one lot the ugliest on the block, namely Kimbrells? The thick lines makes it hard to tell if its Kimbrells or the one next door. Strange that you would ask to rezone a whole block except for one lot. Course, I might be missing something. My wife will assure you I miss a lot.

2 Likes

If this does go somewhere, itā€™d fill in that gaping hole between Wells Fargo and PNCā€¦

7 Likes

Itā€™s hit the N&O now:

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/article230232699.html

2 Likes

And it really doesnā€™t add anything new to the discussion. Best to wait and see what it is about.

2 Likes

at least 37 stories of parking garage to maximize park-ability or it wontā€™ be worth the 40 story limit

1 Like

Smokey Hollow phase 3 FFE would probably be somewhere in the 280 range. This block is sitting at 340. A 40 story building on those lots would probably have the biggest impact to the skyline of any property downtown.

I have to wonder if the owners saw the other 2 proposals and thought it would be a good time to try and lock this in.

I also thing that if a couple of these 40 story proposals get approved it might prompt the planning staff and council to take another look at our UDO height restrictions.

3 Likes

From the article it does seem to suggest that this is more about property value and power struggle with the city than any planned project. But I guess as Junior Brown says, we are all in a holding pattern.

4 Likes

I think you are right, Kimbrells Furniture is excluded.

1 Like

I would also laugh in the face of any developer proposing to tear down an entire block of historic buildings.

4 Likes

Yes, this definitely seems like a political move by the one owner that was upset at a sudden zoning restriction. How this will address that, and how he got all the other owners on board, I have no idea. Anyone care to speculate?

1 Like

I will say it againā€¦ I wonder if there is a plan to reopen the alley midblock. It would make a very nice pedestrian connection from Fayetteville Street to the Nexis project, and it kinda lines up with Exchange Plaza on the other side of Fayetteville street.

Maybe we could even get few small fountains there. :slight_smile:

6 Likes