Rezoning - Z-2019-16 - Hargett, Salisbury, Martin, Fayetteville block

Probably right. If I remember correctly, I think one of the owners on this block tried this before or something similar and was rejected (or thought he was going to be rejected), and he was using the same attorney that handled this request, so I’m guessing this attorney reached out to the other owners on this block to drum up a group effort.

I am also being told that this is a value-based move here, no plans for anything to be built right now.

3 Likes

I can imagine a thin glass residential tower rising from within this block, and stepped back from Fayetteville St., with one of the historic buildings acting as its entrance and community space. Imagine full floor or half floor units on small floor plates.
If done right, the block could be the embodiment of Raleigh’s brand with old and new coexisting like the logo tree. If done poorly, it would be a shit show.

7 Likes

that’s my feeling too, but I sure hope we are right.

Put the Hobgood E. Martin tower at the empty alley just north of lucettegrace. Add 10 floors. Please. Someone? Anyone?

14 Likes

There may not be anything planned yet, but I’m not seeing how this doesn’t make development a lot more likely anyway. A property-owner wouldn’t be actively trying to get their property value, and subsequently their property taxes, raised unless they a had a real interest in at least fielding offers in the near term.

5 Likes

Also if I understand the conditions of re-zoning, they have committed to the future expense of maintaining the fascia of building in a historical context.

3 Likes

Yah, this is going to get re-developed, but it seems it will be developed in a interesting way. It is not if, but when.

2 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Fayetteville Street Developments

With this rezoning done I’m going to close this topic. Let’s continue discussing plans and news for Fayetteville Street here:

1 Like