Rockway (formerly Park City South) - Saunders/Lake Wheeler Apartments and Retail

Interesting groups of land assemblage and owners in this area…

1 Like

Let’s cluster all this in one thread. Maybe that Lake Wheeler/ Saunders / Hammell triangle needs a name.

2 Likes

It will be interesting to see who the Fuller St buyer is.

Dix Park East LLC = Cityspace
Dorothea Dix Development LLC = Atlas Stark

The Hammel St property where Carolina Off Road is currently located is owned by Greg Paul.

So there is growing local builder/developer ownership in that area so far.

1 Like

Looks like the auto-service area at the corner of S Saunders St and Hammel Rd (gravel road going to Lake wheeler). will be converted into a shopping center. The whole property will remain intact but turned over for shopping center use with outdoor spaces. I’m glad they decided to keep the appearance of these buildings, we don’t have many of these left downtown. I’m hoping more of these little burrows and shopping centers continue to materialize around town, it reminds me of Atlanta which has very nice little neighborhood shopping centers like 5 points. This area has a lot of potential in the coming years.

9 Likes

This will be an interesting contrast to the proposed Park City South 20-story architecture if the latter is actually built.

This same group owns the warehouse building/property across from this further down Hammell Drive.

1 Like

To me, this feels like a placeholder until such time that redevelopment makes sense. I suppose the idea is to make money on it now instead of just sitting on the land and paying taxes.

2 Likes

This is exciting! The developer is Atlas Stark, and they do a lot of adaptive reuse (N West Street above Peace, the old Auto Interiors and Tops building on West).

This is near my neighborhood, so I’m looking forward to seeing what they do here.

6 Likes

Another developer seems to be following Park City South’s footsteps -this time, the same firm that designed Raleigh’s East End concept.

Does anyone know which rezoning application this is?

4 Likes

That’s this one…right?

That seems to be just a part of it. I updated my last post with a screenshot of the parcels the article mentioned.

Right…they’re still buying land there and I would be too if I could…
If only.

Wait, Kane is part of Park City too?

Phase 1A plans: loads of retail spaces, greenway bridge, 7-story apartment building wrapped around a 10 story parking deck? Looks like regular old apartment building design - not so much the conceptual renderings of before.

13 Likes

They just put a fancy hat on the donut?
:tophat: :doughnut:

8 Likes

Always felt like the gleaming skyscrapers dangled in front of council during the rezoning were too good to be true for this location.

I was expecting changes, but this really goes 180 degrees in the opposite direction for the absolute cheapest econobox superblock apartments possible. That parking deck looming above it like a Borg cube is atrocious. I am not usually in favor of micromanaging appearances, but I sure hope there is some way for the city to send them back to the drawing board.

15 Likes

Yeah can we speak against this? I mean, only the rezoning was approved anyways. They still need to go through the permitting process.

3 Likes

This is first phase, The high rise will be phase 2 with great view downtown.

I am not strongly opposed to the 5+2 apartment format. In fact,the more I look at this, actually, it doesn’t seem as bad as I thought. The public right of way is lined with retail, and the greenway is lined with more retail and resident amenities. The back-of-house stuff looks like it faces the internal street.

But that parking garage is still hideous, for sure. 683 spaces provided when the # required by zoning is 377. Uhm, ok. Is this supposed to be the parking for the second phase as well, then? This deck needs to be smaller.

3 Likes

Typically, I am very pro development. I liked the pie-in-the sky initial renderings for this site, even knowing they would be watered down in reality. But I’m not a big fan of this site plan… we can (and deserve) to do better in this area between DTR and Dix Park.

2 Likes

I’m usually against prescriptive zoning restrictions, but can we make a rule across the board that parking decks cannot be taller than the building they service? How sad that we are building more height for cars than people?!?!

10 Likes