Rockway (formerly Park City South) - Saunders/Lake Wheeler Apartments and Retail

They build the decks for Dreamville. 3 out of 365 days is good ROI, right?

5 Likes

He clearly prefers urbanism that one drives to.

1 Like

Honestly, I’d rather the parking sits here than provided directly on the Dix property. People can park and walk a little.

12 Likes

Are we sure that deck will be open to the public for Dix Park visitors?

2 Likes

I love how this corner of downtown is coming together + Dix.

2 Likes

If it’s not all needed for residents, you can bet your bottom dollar that they’ll find a way to monetize it.

2 Likes

From the retail leasing brochure

And for future phases. Phase 2 is the Heath, ~6-7 story, 370-units. For Phase 3 Lynde Hill Lofts, I’m guessing another 5 over 1 since its just 235 units? I guess if they include a parking podium it could be taller and it’ll be on a smaller footprint?

14 Likes

I’m guessing another 5 over 1 since its just 235 units? I guess if they include a parking podium it could be taller and it’ll be on a smaller footprint?

This seems to suggest there is no parking for phases 2 and 3 – I don’t think they could squeeze a deck within those footprints anyway. And phase 3 could just be type V construction since there’s no retail podium (unless they have residential amenity space on the ground floor).

Despite the flack it gets, imo this justifies the taller deck they’re building as part of phase 1. Not having to design around parking will allow the other two residential buildings to be so much better.

4 Likes

I wonder if they might put the parking underground spanning beneath both Phases 2 and 3. That would seem more efficient.

2 Likes

Is “structured parking” a euphemism?

1 Like

I feel like I remember hearing that the existing parking deck (that is so large and protrudes from phase 1) was sized to handle the future phases parking needs.

8 Likes

29 Likes

DECK SCREENING WHEN??? :face_vomiting:

4 Likes

32 Likes

View from the neighboring greenway, Rocky Branch Trail

I didn’t see anyone else out on this section of the greenway this morning (I get it, it’s hot out), but I bet there will be a bunch when leasing starts here and in the Weld

28 Likes

Would make a WORLD of difference if they hired some folks to clear out some of that kudzu!

5 Likes

A city-wide issue, I’m afraid. Greenways are often built on sewer/water easements along streams. Back in the old days, kudzu was their “fast & cheap” way to stabilize the impacted/cleared areas with non-woody plants. (Which, today we know was a horrible idea.) Everytime the city tries to clear out kudzu along these easements it comes back the next year with a vengeance.

1 Like

I know folks are using the goat emoji for fun but… what if they did just put some f*ing goats in there and let em get to work?? I’m kinda not joking, just let em roam. Advertise them as the City of Raleigh’s worker goats. National tourist attraction, easy.

9 Likes

Part of what makes kudzu so hard to get rid of is its tuberous root system (like a potato or rutabaga) that sits well under the surface, and until the primary root dies the vines can/will grow back. Part of the reason it does so well here, we have large areas of unexcavated soil that experiences little to know ground freezing. So unless the goats are skilled in excavation, they would only be performing seasonal trim that would not solve the problem long term.

This fact has been sitting dormant in my brain since I learned it in 9th grade science, taking up space until this exact moment.

17 Likes

9th Graders: “wHeN WiLL wE eVeR nEeD tHiS iNfOrMaTiOn iN ReAL LiFe??”

@Spero: “7/10/2024, to be exact.”

10 Likes