Rockway (formerly Park City South) - Saunders/Lake Wheeler Apartments and Retail

I did not put the :goat: emoji as a joke, it is a suggestion for who they should ā€œhireā€ to do the job.

Goats are one of the preferred methods of kudzu control. They did this at Centennial Campus. When it comes to kudzu control, goats are the GOAT.

You have to bring back the goats for two years in a row, because the roots will sprout back - but it does the job.

4 Likes

So what youā€™re saying is the GOATs will have an endless supply of food. I see that as a win win.

Bring the GOATs!

:goat: :goat: :goat::seedling: :goat: :goat: :goat: :goat: :goat: :seedling::goat: :goat: :goat: :goat: :goat: :goat: :goat: :goat: :goat: :herb: :goat: :goat: :goat: :goat: :goat: :goat::seedling: :herb: :goat: :goat: :goat: :herb: :goat: :goat: :goat: :goat: :goat: :goat: :goat: :goat: :goat: :herb: :goat: :goat: :goat: :goat: :seedling::goat: :goat: :goat: :goat: :goat: :goat: :seedling::goat: :goat: :goat: :goat: :goat: :goat: :seedling::goat: :goat: :herb: :goat: :goat: :goat: :goat: :goat: :goat: :goat: :goat: :goat: :goat: :goat: :goat: :goat: :goat: :goat: :goat: :goat: :goat: :goat::seedling: :goat: :goat: :goat: :goat: :goat: :goat: :goat: :seedling::goat: :goat: :goat: :goat: :herb: :goat: :goat: :goat: :goat: :goat: :goat:

8 Likes

Ok, so weā€™re all in favor of the goats? @JonathanMelton how can we get this up for a vote with the Council?

9 Likes

They are using goats at the Hammond Road apartments, which I just learned are the Allora Southview apartments. Had been wondering why there were goats at the entrance!

7 Likes

Mural is going up on the parking deck. Was driving so couldnā€™t get a pic.

15 Likes

This stretch of greenway is weirdly underutilized even on nice days in the spring. Parts of Crabtree Greenway actually get busy when the weather is nice but I barely ever see anyone out here. Granted itā€™s not the most scenic, and sometimes smells like a sewer line owing to the sewer line that runs next to it, but otherwise itā€™s perfectly functional.
Does everyone living downtown have a gym in their building? Maybe it needs better signage or something? I donā€™t get it.

1 Like

Had no idea it existed. Also not a ton of housing in that area just yet.

1 Like

Besides the new development, there isnā€™t a lot of housing nearby or any on street connections.

1 Like

Agreed. The entrance right next to Rockway is bounded by a busy road with tiny sidewalks (Saunders), a road with no sidewalks (Lake Wheeler), Gateway Park Apts (relatively low density for multi-family), and the construction for Rockway which has removed the sidewalk along Saunders nearest to the greenway entrance anyway. Within the walkshed of this section of the trail, other than Dix Park and Heritage Park Apts (also relatively low-density for multi-family), there isā€¦ all the auto repair businesses along Saunders, another large construction project, a cemetery, some light industrial businesses, SFHs and a huge amount of land used by the nearby roads and highway interchanges.

I live only a few miles away near Chavis / Little Rock Tr, which connects to this trail via Walnut Creek Tr. As a relatively frequent user of this section of the greenway, Iā€™m hoping that in the future there will be more actual destinations near trailheads in the future. Right now they are mostly only useful for recreation / exercise.

5 Likes

PARKING

DE-

oh! Allow me to stop myself!

2 Likes

Yeah thereā€™s not much housing in the immediate vicitinity, but the Saunders St entrance is a mile from the Capitol, closer to the Warehouse District and Boylan Heights. For anyone on the west side of downtown, itā€™s your neighborhood greenway. Or for folks commuting to campus, itā€™s a nice alternative to Hillsborough. Just needs better connections to the grid.

6 Likes

I used that stretch to commute from home to NCSU for about 8 years. I bought a home that was close enough to the greenway that I could make that work. Now I use it to commute to my (much closer) job.

Rockway was ORIGINALLY supposed to have a bridge connection to the greenway, from the backside of the property. I assume thatā€™s been value engineered out of the final plan but that would be a good connection.

4 Likes

Also. I *@&ing love this font. I want this font all over the city.
Rockway

15 Likes

Parking deck camouflage effort in progress!

Is there really a phase 2?

22 Likes

Perhaps I missed it, but why does the signage on this building say ā€œThe Rowā€? I thought they were calling this Rockway?

There is so much going on in this post. I am trying to take it all in.

2 Likes

I believe this is technically 2 buildings but joined by a somewhat hidden skybridge. You have Rockway on the end but the ā€œmiddle/backā€ building is The Row. :person_shrugging:

3 Likes

ROckWay?
I wondered the same thing

This building, as phase one, is being called The Row. Phase two will be The Heath, and phase three will be Lynde Hill Lofts. Rockaway is the name of the entire development.

15 Likes

They have started painting the parking deck. Should look a lot better once finished.

6 Likes