Shaw Univ. & St. Augustine’s Univ. (Raleigh’s HBCUs)

There something racial to this.

1 Like

St. Aug at risk of losing accreditation……for the 400th time.

How they stay alive is anyones guess

1 Like

Anyone able to summarize the TBJ article.

Curious as to who the company is…

Saint Augustine’s University is leasing part of its campus to a real estate developer for a multifamily housing project.

The historically Black college in downtown Raleigh has reached an agreement with Atlanta-based firm Carter, which is planning to develop a 320-unit project valued at more than $75 million.

It’ll be near the corner of glascock and state streets.

16 Likes

Oh nice, that’s pretty much unused land, and right next to the Oakwood Dog Park and the Brookside retail strip. Should justify high prices, so it might look decent :crossed_fingers:

They’ve got some really strong projects in their portfolio, as well:

https://www.carterusa.com/mixeduse

https://www.carterusa.com/multifamily

5 Likes

Meh. At just 320 units, sounds like this is gonna be yet another stucco-covered 5-over-1 apartment building. Nothing I’m too excited about unless the design is actually unique. A lot of the renders on their site look like Anywhere, USA apartment buildings, IMO.

It’s better than nothing. St Aug didn’t want to have this area developed in the first place, but they need the cash to stay accredited. So, they’re looking for something low-risk that can offer a quicker return than a more complex project.

While it won’t be a great destination, it will still pull more people into the downtown neighborhood. Way better than an empty lot. For me, that’s still exciting.

9 Likes

What was St. Aug’s dream for this plot? It’s the far edge of that campus, and they’re hardly overdeveloped as it is. Just curious.

Better than what’s there…& it will be ‘market rate’ housing. As someone alluded to earlier…SA is hanging on by a thread. They have to figure out a way to generate some income…personally I don’t see how they are still a functioning school in a decade but maybe this helps slow the bleed

1 Like

The zoning is OX-7 so it is certainly going to be a 5-over-1 but I dispute calling it “just” 320 units.

320 units is pretty YOOGE. I challenge you to find a 320+ unit 5-over-1 in downtown. The only one I know of, completed or no, is Platform. Peace is larger but it’s not 5-over-1.

7 Likes

Fair enough- and if they build to the full 7-stories, this may not be mostly made of wood, either!

It’ll be a 5 over 2.

1 Like

I’m sure this is always variable but is there any good standards for timing once a building is set to go on how long till move-in? Of course “ish” given financing, regulations, and general global environment. I am really glad to see underused space be used, especially for housing, but I am consistently surprised at the timing. For example, the DMV building on Tarboro, or Edenton Court:

or 311 N. Tarboro Residential Infill along New Bern - Edenton - #571 by AndrewDT

I guess I am just impatient, but as a lay person outside the profession of development, understanding evidence-based timelines for projects (of different sizes) would be of interest to me.

Whatcha got DTRaleigh Blog?

So 5 floors of type 5 over 2 floors of type 1?

Yes. There was a code change that allows two floors of type 1 instead of one. That’s probably why the zoning for 7 stories came into being.

3 Likes

Some slight changes to the Shaw rezoning. Two plots now 30 floors instead of 40 (tallest is now 30), and one plot now 20 floors instead of 30.

Seems fine to me. Hope there are actual projects lined up for some of this.

And updates to the zoning setbacks along Person & Blount

12 Likes

Completely useless change but I guess that’s how city government works.

1 Like

I didn’t think Raleigh had a DX-30 zoning. Is that a new add? Maybe it just isn’t requested enough

Some folks like MsWorldEnergy123 thinks this is racist, but St.Aug made this decision no land is getting taken away. She later went on to insult me, by using a photo of a person who doesn’t even look like me. I had to show that Peace University leased its land of gave it up nothing happened to them. This might pump money into the place.

It was new when the VeLa development was awarded DX-30, I believe.

3 Likes