Show Off Things From Other Cities

As Leo suggested, I am starting a thread devoted to examples from other cities that Raleigh can emulate, and/or learn from.

3 Likes

Here are some photos from Wynwood in Miami. Wynwood is Miamiā€™s burgeoning warehouse district that has a strong brand identity built around, of all things, graffiti art. Nonetheless, there is development in the area that is not graffiti oriented. This project by developer The Related Group, and designed by Kobi Karp, is a mixed-use midrise project that evokes a strong industrial aesthetic in its architecture, materials and coloring. It makes a bold monochromatic statement in a neighborhood that is playfully colorful. What I really like about it is that you donā€™t have to have a tower to make an impactful architectural statement. The fenestration of its windows in particular evoke Americaā€™s industrial past, and there is a rich collection of cool greys on the facade that provide a visual texture that complements its geometric 3D treatment.
These are all my photos taken yesterday as construction nears its end.

7 Likes

Ok, my first example is walkable outer-ring neighborhoods connected to the center by transit. Examples from Boston are Allston (Walk Score 84), South End (96), Davis Square (96), Porter Square (92), Coolidge Corner (91), Telegraph Hill (88). The density is low enough for families and kids but high enough for walkability

2 Likes

The new ā€˜Nashville Yardsā€™ project in Nashville is like a North Hills project right in downtown. Check out the huge greenway tieing it all together. This is where the new Amazon Ops Center (5000 people) is going.

Perfect for running something like this up Capital Blvdā€¦

3 Likes

Letā€™s see where this thread goes but would love to see posts from folks as they are there in person, not just examples from the internet.

So as you travel, bring back ā€œresearchā€ and put it here and share. :wink:

5 Likes

I biked some of the Atlanta Beltline last May and it was unlike any urban biking Iā€™ve ever done. We were visiting my cousin and were able to bike from her house(i.e., not driving somewhere so we could then bike) to the botanical gardens and Piedmont Park.

There was a very interesting mix of people using the trail and also a cool mix of trail sections. Some were very urban with all kinds of people mixing, all sorts of retail, restaurants and housing going up right along the trail. There were artists, musicians, and food vendors again right along the trail. Other sections of the trail were somewhat more open and more like our greenways.

The project started as a masterā€™s student thesis in 1999. Itā€™s had an 8 to 1 ROI so far and isnā€™t yet completed.

10 Likes

Great to hearā€“makes it more likely that similar ideas will appeal to local governments and developers in the future.

1 Like

Huashan 1914 Creative Park in Taipei

The theme for both of this place is that it was an industrial campus that had fallen in to ill-repair. A creative entity took it over and converted it into spaces for craftspeople, the performing arts, event spaces, and restaurants.

Huashan activated a park area surrounding and extending out from the buildings, called the Creative Art Park. At the other end of the park is a farmerā€™s market. When I was visiting, the park was full of people making picnics, playing with their dogs, and having family time. There were a few tent vendor spaces set up around the creative park catering to dog owners and extending the footprint of the farmerā€™s market building. In the alleyways between the buildings, there were also creative vendors selling their arts and crafts.

Taiwan (and especially Taipei) has a very DIY spirit and takes a lot of pride in locally owned businesses. You could really pick up on that by a visit to this creative park and the surrounding area.

I would be really proud to live in a Raleigh that carved out a section of Dix Park that helped support and promote small (micro) businesses and artists.

3 Likes

Reading Terminal Market in Philadelphia.

If only the owner of city market had vision.

12 Likes

This could be the expansion of MSFH in the space thatā€™s currently occupied by Christ the King church. One can dreamā€¦

3 Likes

The only hope for city market is a change in ownership. Transfer food hall has a good chance to be a smaller version of this. If (when) thatā€™s successful Iā€™m hoping that will inspire a few other developers in that area.

I believe empire properties owns the building that used to be home to House of Swank, as well as the attached warehouse building. They had a sign to lease the warehouse hanging for quite some time, but it came down relatively soon after Transfer made some serious construction progress. My hope is theyā€™re waiting for the crowds to start coming to that side of townbefore they develop that property into something complimentary.

2 Likes

Something I remember I did years ago when I visited family in Greenville, South Carolina was something called Mice on Main. Itā€™s a little scavenger hunt for kids where there are small bronze statues of mice on Main Street in downtown. This is something that could be easily added onto Fayetteville Street and Its a family friendly thing that I know many people will do!

3 Likes

Maybe rather than mice, or cattle (Ft Worth) or other animals towns have used for this kind of scavenger hunt/public art project it can be big acorns around town decorated in wild and individualistic ways.

Raleigh is the City of Oaks, and our unofficial symbol is an acorn. How about statues of squirrels instead?

6 Likes

I had been mulling a new flag with a squirrel wearing sir walterā€™s coat of arms, and brandishing an acorn shield.

4 Likes

Squirrels are rat day-walkers.

4 Likes

Block directly east of Moore Sqā€¦ Development on the north half and south half and this plaza cutting through the whole block between the two.

Orā€¦ do this for the entire Depot parking lot.

10 Likes

Beautiful! I love trees! :blush::heart:

1 Like

PARKROYAL on Pickering in Singapore
How cool would this be as our municipal complex?

2 Likes

I would love so much more then the proposed version!