Show Off Things From Other Cities

Looks like 37 1-bedroom units + 3 small commercial spaces?

Scroll down for plans, elevations, and section cuts.

3 Likes

I think they put their pro-forma on most of their projects as well…

not sure here but didnt makers like hyandai/kia essentially start with knock-off stuff and now end up with decent market share and some original output?

1 Like

Generally, new automakers from Asia would license production rights or source major components from existing automakers, until their production capabilities were great enough to begin producing in-house products. For example Hyundai originally sourced engines from Mitsubishi, but now all of its products and components are company designed and have been since the '90s.

Japan has historically been an exception, as its automakers were more or less built from the ground up following WW2 given the amount of production facilities left over from war efforts. Today there are a handful of collaborations (Toyota partnered with Subaru and BMW to produce sports cars, Honda is partnering with GM and Sony to produce EVs) but very little legitimate production right licensing aside from new automakers in developing markets. However Chinese automakers are notorious for stealing IP and blatantly ripping off existing vehicle designs.

2 Likes

Which gave birth to one of my favorite new cars on the road, the Toyota Supra.
BMW engine and chassis with a Toyota body placed on top. It’s awesome.

3 Likes

Especially now that it comes with a manual transmission!

8 Likes

Yea it’s a blast, I went several months ago to Hendrick and acted very interested in purchasing one, which allowed me a pretty spirited test drive. It’s an awesome car, rear wheel drive with a twin turbo inline 6. I almost purchased a late 90s version as my first car at 16, although I doubt I’d still own that car like I do now with my M3.

1 Like

You’re preaching to the choir man. My daily is my 2017 Honda Civic Type R so any manual transmission car that handles is speaking my language.

4 Likes

Haven’t been the biggest fan of the Mk5 Supra but the addition of the manual puts that car in a completely different league imo. Currently dailying a '11 328i coupe with a six speed manual, really want a 335i but has to be a manual which unfortunately is hard to find. Turned to motorcycles to scratch the new toy itch in the meantime, but maybe in a couple years when I can make the numbers work better this will be worth a look?

1 Like

I have never owned an automatic car! I am glad to find a group of manual enthusiasts here.

5 Likes

Maybe that’s why you don’t like driving… :rofl:

1 Like

Was just at car friendly Fenton. Recommend Superica. Good atmosphere reasonably priced. Fenton becoming one of my favorite places.

3 Likes

Shifting my own gears is one of the few things that makes driving enjoyable to me.

3 Likes

Really enjoyed Colletta last week with my family from out of town. M Sushi is obviously awesome like the one in Durham. Superica is next on our list, though the wait-list instead of reservations and some of the pricey entrees threw me a little. Really enjoying the development, especially how short a drive it is for me

2 Likes

Their wine bar/restaurant place isn’t bad either. I was definitely a fan of their two story Dram and Draught over there too. I can’t wait for the Crawford steakhouse to open up, they definitely got a prime spot over there whenever it opens.

2 Likes

Those drive-in fake downtowns kind of weird me out, but Superica might get me out there. It looks delicious and we’re not exactly swimming in excellent Mexican restaurants as a region.

2 Likes

Averde is also good. I like the fake downtowns lol. They’re just a different format for a mall to me, and I like it better. The dram and draught is nice but they need better heating for winter. So much outdoor space and the heat lamps and blankets, while very nice, aren’t enough. Still always stop by since our favorite bartender moved there from the downtown location.

4 Likes

It’s nice there. Decent stores to walk around after dinner. Good outdoor seating to chill also. Still in early stages but it will only get better, at least for my style . And a movie theater of course. Need a fountain or two then it’s nirvana .

Interesting article. Thanks for posting. As you can guess from my username, I am a big fan of cities built in grid patterns. They are so much better for pedestrians.

3 Likes

I prefer an endless, spiralling loop of concentric circles…