Show Off Things From Other Cities

*Show off things from other cities’ past

4 Likes

There Is A Reason We Are So Infatuated With Skylines Well…if you are not happy with the pic…read this.

2 Likes

MECU Pavilion in Baltimore. Not that Raleigh could ever have THIS given we don’t really have water, but cool spot downtown with a bandshell kind of entertainment venue and food trucks lined up.

5 Likes

I’d love to see that sort of tent structure over the stage at RedHat Amphitheater!

1 Like

Welcome, even though you deleted your post! :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

This week’s other cities pics come from Nashville! Broadway street and the view across the river to the Titan’s stadium. Cool city and lots of cool things going on!

3 Likes

Thanks, I didn’t mean to delete it but oh well

1 Like

Uploading: CA93E4D8-3296-4538-A75E-F9B599687E9B.jpeg… I’m not sure if you all can see this but it’s a picture of one of the two 2 mile long outdoor strip malls in South Beach, Miami.

If it’s of Linconl Road Mall, I’m very familiar with it. I’m not exactly sure where the other one is. :thinking::thinking::thinking: Maybe you’re thinking of Ocean Drive? It sometimes gets blocked off to traffic for events. In any case, Lincoln Road Mall has been a pedestrian mall for decades and it was what Fayetteville Street could have been if it had life breathed into it with residents and business downtown. Unfortunately for Fayetteville Street mall (or was it called Bicentennial Mall?) , it was intended to do the “fixing” for all of downtown’s woes, and was punished when it was unable to do so.
In future iterations of Fayetteville Street, it’s my hope that there will eventually be enough pedestrian traffic to warrant the widening of the sidewalks to the exclusion of the small amount of parallel parking that still exists on it. I can envision just a few drop-off places along the street with wider sidewalks, and more al fresco dining with umbrellas & smiling residents.

3 Likes

Just so you know, you can edit something if you don’t want to delete it fully. As for the attaching process, keep on trying! We all love to see other’s photos!!!

3 Likes

Did I mention the Nashville Predators NHL arena is downtown?

2 Likes

But nobody lives there. The way I viewed downtown Nashville is it’s a great place for entertainment and tourists, not for residents. DTR has a strong resident vibe leaving little room for those other things.

7 Likes

When were you here last? I see several condo/apartment high rises (not mid-rises) within visual of the arena. Maybe that doesn’t account for much and there isn’t a large population downtown. There is certainly a different culture here but it’s also a VERY different industry.

Nashville downtown is very much like RAL cross bred with CLT ( oh, the horror) - the well to do chose longer commutes (Franklin) but those ‘made’ residents are similar to our long term ITB’ers…talk to WNFIV…

Very recently. :smiley:

I guess it depends on how close. Yes, I saw towers in The Gulch but not between the river and 8th ave.

It’s also very possible I thought them to be hotels too. :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

The 505 tower and the Viridian are both huge residential towers in the immediate downtown. South of Broadway has a number of large residential towers built and more on the way: SoBro, 222 2nd, among others.

Thanks for sharing. Any idea of the downtown Nashville resident population then?

No idea on the numbers. Definitely growing gangbusters. Both downtown and the fringe downtown hoods, like the Gulch and West End/Vandy. I lived there for 1 year back in the mid 90’s and not many people lived downtown.

1 Like

I would suppose that there’s a market for wealthy secondary homeowners in Nashville due to their entertainment industry. This is a differentiator that Nashville has in its market that Raleigh doesn’t have. I would also suppose that the highrise market in Nashville may also cannibalize their own suburban celebrity/industry market. To be clear, I’m not saying that the entertainment industry is the sole driver of these projects, but is an add-on to it.

2 Likes

Per Nashville Downtown Partnership’s July 2018 Residential Report, the downtown population doesn’t seem that prolific…though they have some 2,000+ units currently under construction!

For comparison, our own Downtown Raleigh Alliance reports 8,700 downtown Raleigh residents in their most recent report.

5 Likes