Smoky Hollow Park Adjacent Development

Fingers crossed this is just the newbies getting their feet under them and trying to “listen to all perspectives” before they realize they’re throttling growth and indirectly raising rents.

I was talking to friends from the Elan last night - rents are consistently going up 15% a year. People who want to live downtown are bailing for Apex and outer Cary because they can’t afford the rent increases. Which makes sense, there’s no new supply except the Signal at Seaboard wrapping up soon.

2 Likes

In the immediate, yes, but there are apartments at the acorn, 400H, and the Boylan heights apartments that’ll be ready soon-ish. But I get what you’re saying.

7 Likes

Hoping everything shown in the massing here comes to fruition, the interaction with the park’s edge looks amazing, and all the BIG buildings in the background just scream “REAL CITY!”

4 Likes

Absolutely! This looks like the edge of the development facing the park. Looks great but also seems like needs some coordination with the City’s park plan. And really seems like they’ll need the city to follow through relatively soon or it’ll hold up the development?

10 Likes

My spidey senses put this one in Park City South “aspirational rendering” territory. Not a real design; just a vignette selling a concept. Would be sweet if they implement most of these qualities though.

7 Likes

Oh ABSOLUTELY, I just meant it’d be amazing if this comes to fruition anything like the clearly conceptual images suggest :sweat_smile: :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Aren’t the 2, 40 story rezonings already approved?
The problem that I have with these shadow studies is that they are essentially fear mongering via static image on one day a year. If they truly wanted to show the impact on the Winter Solstice shadows, they’d show an animation and not some image that many will subconsciously interpret as being in a shadow all day long.

14 Likes

Fair enough, but if people seriously forget that uhhhh the earth rotates around the sun every single day… they’re probably pretty easily fear-mongered :rofl:

1 Like

Wait - the earth is flat, right?

2 Likes

It wobbles like a badly thrown frisbee.

3 Likes

Z-54-22 is up for public hearing tonight. It’s consistent with everything except the neighbors. :upside_down_face:

No revisions have been made to the rezoning request.

Current zoning: Industrial Mixed Use-12 stories (IX-12).
Requested zoning: Downtown Mixed Use-30 stories-Urban General-Conditional Use (DX-30-UG-CU).

Approximately 2.6 acres are requested by Raleigh Development Company II LLC to be rezoned. Proposed zoning conditions prohibit five uses otherwise allowed in DX districts; prohibit surface parking between buildings and the eastern property line; require pedestrian connectivity to the future park site; require an urban plaza along Peace Street and/or the adjacent park; and limit office uses to 500,000 square feet.

The request is consistent with the 2030 Comprehensive Plan.
The request is consistent with the Future Land Use Map.
The request is consistent with the Urban Form Map.

I’m glad that the planning commission is all over the ever-growing glare problems that this city is experiencing.

Planning Commission recommends approval (8-0), with the additional recommendation that the City Council consider concerns related to glare and shadow which might manifest in zoning conditions regulating building materials, articulation, and height.

http://go.boarddocs.com/nc/raleigh/Board.nsf/goto?open&id=CQZN455E0016

11 Likes

I hope they delay a vote for several months to discuss this unique “glare and shadow” concern.

5 Likes

The problem is we already have a solution. You just take one of those eye masks that people use for sleeping and you put it on when you drive around downtown. Problem solved!

(/s)

3 Likes

Now that there’s no turn on red, I even use my eye mask when walking around downtown. Can’t be too careful!

6 Likes

Is this basically “don’t built the Walkie Talkie”?

2 Likes

Interesting discussion but case denied.

Wow, I’m surprised to hear that. What was the ultimate reasoning, and what was the vote? (I haven’t been able to watch the stream).

I was looking forward to this section being redeveloped. I hope they try again with a new request.

Essentially, the neighboring residents didn’t like the height.

1 Like

Seriously? They actually voted and denied it??

I feel like even 12 stories would look impressive at this location.

4 Likes