Smoky Hollow Park Adjacent Development

Neighborhood meeting set for 9/28 for rezoning the parcels overlooking the park:

https://community.dtraleigh.com/t/the-raleigh-wire-service/748/2023?u=oakcityyimby

7 Likes

I didn’t realize the Raleigh Development Company now owns all of those lots now!

It’ll be interesting to see whether they have more concrete plans for what they want to build here as this goes deeper though the rezoning process. We still don’t know much about how they want to use this area beyond their request to change to a DX-30 designation (which would allow for mixed-use buildings up to 30 stories) and similar headlines from earlier this year, after all.

7 Likes

This would an amazing location to have an east facing view from a high rise apartment or condo.

16 Likes

All I hope is if they can find a way to integrate retail spaces that easily connect with the park. Would love to have a few restaurants/breweries here in downtown with some nice tree/creek views.

11 Likes

Gosh I just really really hope they do something amazing here! Totally agree with @John & @Deekay93 that the views from these units would be amazing and the ground level NEEDS to have retail/restaurants/breweries that interact with the future park. I so hope we don’t get a missed opportunity here.

says quietly get them to pay for the park shhhhh

7 Likes

This drone shot from some dude named “Dylan” shows the potential for these lots.

17 Likes

Planning Commission meeting for the rezoning of the Peace/West lots set for 10/25

https://community.dtraleigh.com/t/the-raleigh-wire-service/748/2033?u=oakcityyimby

7 Likes

Developers seeking partners for the project

https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2022/10/03/raleigh-developer-partner-peace-st-development.html?utm_source=st&utm_medium=en&utm_campaign=BN&utm_content=ra&ana=e_ra_BN&j=29250775&senddate=2022-10-03

“Conceptually, it’ll be a landmark project for the city given its prominent location at the gateway and its interaction with this park,”

14 Likes

" Smoky Hollow’s two buildings – the completed 700-unit building anchored by Publix that is 12 stories and the under-construction 40-story building with 300 units – are across the street. Two blocks down Peace Street is Hoffman and Associates’ Seaboard Station, a two-tower building currently being constructed that will be 33 and 17 stories with multifamily units, retail space and a parking structure."

Um, their definition of under construction is a lot different than mine…

9 Likes

What the hell are they referring to in Seaboard Station that will be 33 and 17 stories…?

1 Like

Isn’t the Creamery something around those heights?

Probably referring to Hoffman’s Union Station project.

1 Like

Yeah just wildly off on the building heights there… also not even fully approved yet, let alone “currently being constructed” - GREAT reporting TBJ! :roll_eyes:

6 Likes

Just be sure to soundproof those westward facing building fronts. (Unless, of course, train whistles are sweet music for those denizens.)

2 Likes

In an email, I told them that the two towers they referenced were planned for Union Station, not Seaboard Station. They said they’d correct it.

12 Likes

New thread. Let’s separate the development from the park. :+1:

14 Likes

Some ‘massing’ illustrations and shadow studies.

27 Likes

Do we know if it got approved plus that 30 story tower.

No we’re back to death by committees and and studies again. Hardly anything got approved on Tuesday. Even the south Raleigh city-owned affordable housing attempt floundered with only 0.61 acres of that project getting approved. :poop:

Get ready for re-zonings to slow down again.

1 Like

My god I’m starting to hate these newbies what was the excuse this time?