Smoky Hollow Park

Because Devereux owned slaves and Pigeon House Park sounds like it’s filled with birdhouses for pigeons who will poop on any visitors. Smoky Hollow is a historic neighborhood name (obviously) and therefore fits okay.
:man_shrugging:

5 Likes

Smoky Hollow Park
SHoP

Reminds me of Sleepy Hollow, NY :wink: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

4 Likes

How about Parky McPark Face Park?

8 Likes

I mean, my guy… it makes sense. If dude literally owned slaves … yeah, probably not the best look to name a brand new park after him LMAO. It’s not like fka Cameron Village where it was already named and then later rebranded to remove a slave-owning family’s name from the development, they are still in process of choosing a name for this. Why even bother starting with a name that will potentially cause controversy when they can just… not do that to begin with :rofl:

Come on, now.

15 Likes

Devereux Meadows is the name of the Baseball stadium, that use to be there. As history of Devereux I have no background information on it.

So with deductive reasoning, we can confidently assume that the baseball stadium was also named after the Devereux family, and the Devereux family has been outed as having owned slaves (that’s the background information you weren’t aware of). Therefor, naming a brand new park after the original baseball stadium that was named after a family that is known to have owned slaves = not a great idea in the year of 2022 (being slightly humorous on that last point, as honestly it prob was never a good idea to name anything after historically slave owning families’ names, but these days we as a society are just a bit more thoughtful about these sorts of things, and for good reason).

10 Likes

Here’s an article on the whole thing back from August 2022. Sounds like he was not only a slave owner, but one of the largest ones and also a former confederate officer too.

Raleigh to rebrand site named for slave owner, seeks public’s help (cbs17.com)

8 Likes

According to the Council meeting today, they’re not starting construction on this for 18-24 months. They’re apparently putting in a temporary skate park during the interim, which was crowdfunded privately.

15 Likes

Surprisingly a really good idea, especially with Endless Grind next door. Kids need something outside to do that’s free and doesn’t involve dancing for Tik Tok.

13 Likes

They voted to rename it Smoky Hollow Park. MAB was very concerned that there’s this narrative going around that they’re naming it after the apartment complex/development. I hadn’t heard that one, but apparently it’s bad optics or something. Go figure. I like the name, FWIW.

9 Likes

What does she care if she’s not going to run again? I absolutely LOVE that the name strengthens the references to the neighborhood’s history.

3 Likes

Cox asking them to take out the Gateway Plaza portion and replace it with parking made me actually laugh out loud.

7 Likes

If anyone is pushing this narrative, they should be laughed at in their face for bitching about an historic name this area held LOOOOOOONG before that apartment complex was built (and named after…)

8 Likes

Bro just truly does not want Raleigh to be an actual city, it’s comical…

3 Likes

Meanwhile Grumpy Cox won’t vote for the design plan because he wants there to be more parking… ostensibly for the massive amount of disabled people who are driving to a downtown park. Where there’s literally a parking deck across the street (I know, it’s for Publix, but no one is towing handicapped people’s cars), not to mention street parking. You can’t make this stuff up. He couldn’t just vote no, he had to make a comment before the vote and after the vote because he’s “very disappointed.”

Man I’ll miss his presence…

(Meanwhile Buffkin is literally sitting there shaking his head laughing at him.)

9 Likes

As far as I know, the parking deck is public (just gotta pay to park in it, kinda like how any and every damn city in the United States of America does it) sweet Jesus I cannot wait for his ass to be GONE. Glad to see his fellow councilmembers are no longer hiding their disdain for his bullshit!

Sigh why the delay on starting work?

Because it’s Raleigh and everything takes 2 years of studies to start

1 Like

Who gives a shit what it’s called, just build the damn thing already.