Smoky Hollow Park

I agree completely and hopefully this will happen eventually.

1 Like

Yes. And in the median too.

2 Likes

There is always lots of consternation when an old Oak get cut down for a new development, so I have been thinking that the city should always be planting new Oak trees to be able to point to them and say, ā€œWe are still going to be the city of Oaksā€. Would love to see that here.

11 Likes

Not sure if there was a funding shortfall at the end or what but that is a perfect corridor for ā€œletā€™s make this our over the top landscaped beautification sectionā€ Iā€™m sure once the Capital Blvd Corridor Study projects are implemented the whole section from 440 to Peace will be landscaped.

2 Likes

Hopefully in our lifetimes.

1 Like

As the busiest corridor into downtown right now i have to think the city will hold it pretty high in importance. Itā€™s in pretty bad shape right now

4 Likes

They should crowd fund during the project to help pay for the trees if not in the budget. This will show us just how much us tree huggers really love trees. I would surely give up some lettuce for oaks.

1 Like

I just saw this on Twitter and I think itā€™s a great idea!!

11 Likes

With the restoration of the creek Iā€™m not sure itā€™ll be enough room for this but I may be wrong :man_shrugging:t4:

1 Like

Even batting cages could work!

1 Like

I like the sentiment and a memorial or info section of some sort would be good. But, I would not put a baseball field there. Lots of fields within 3 miles already.

Fred Fletcher has one or two, Lions park has 4 or 5. Letā€™s make this a park about connecting outside of downtown into downtown and focus on strolling or biking or heading up and down the longer linear park and greenway plan.

Just my 2 cents

19 Likes

Acknowledgement of the past: Yes. Full blown baseball field: No.

15 Likes

Christ, Jaycee Park right across the street from my hood has like 4 or 5 GD baseball fields that mostly just sit empty, itā€™s so annoying. NO THANK YOU.

6 Likes

While I enjoy the sport of baseball, the worst thing about baseball fields in parks is that they are usually fully enclosed by chain link fences & locked shut when not in use for officially sanctioned activities. If for some reason somebody forgets to lock it, then thereā€™s just about always somebody there using it as an off-leash dog park because of the fence, which makes me feel uncomfortable to go in there with my kids and just run around and play.

We should definitely have plenty of baseball fields to support a vibrant Little League, but I have to say itā€™s just not my favorite use of park space for an area so close to downtown.

8 Likes

Fletcher park has a decent field maybe 3 blocks from here. Really hate to rain on peopleā€™s parade but with the limited size of this park I think we definitely have to keep this as just a park.

4 Likes

Isnā€™t there an overgrown hill / berm left from the original stadium where the bleachers were? That could be restored with some seating / bleacher type things to commemorate the site, without having an entire field in a small linear park.

11 Likes

Iā€™m not entirely sure! Iā€™ve been wanting to explore the site a little but it doesnā€™t look safe lol

Thatā€™s a nice idea. Create some ā€œbleachersā€ as interpretive ruins to commemorate its past! Repurpose them, or just let the public decide their best use. This makes me think of two different examples: one local.

1. The bleachers at Times Square
    Anyone whoā€™s been to NY is probably familiar with the bleachers in Times Square. They really donā€™t have a purpose other than to rest ones bones or perch oneself up for viewing/photography. Frankly, thatā€™s enough purpose.

2. The relic west side bleachers from old Riddick Stadium on Stateā€™s campus.
    Younger folks in the community and newbies to Raleigh since their demise wonā€™t know about this. After Carter Stadium was built off campus, the old Riddick stadium eventually became a parking lot to the west of the School of Design and Syme Residence Hall. For many years, the old concrete ā€œzigguratā€ structure of the stadium was left in place. Students would use it to study in the Sun on those first warmish days of Spring when the concrete would collect and radiate the heat. In warmer months of early Fall semester, or late Spring Semester, students would turn it into a quasi beach by laying-out in their swimsuits to get a tan.
    Riddick Stadium - Alchetron, The Free Social Encyclopedia

I can imagine a combination use of both Times Square and the old Riddick Stadium bleachers for a nod to the landā€™s past.

8 Likes

I lived in Syme Hall my freshman year at NCSU (1998-1999). I remember Riddick Stadium very well. :slight_smile: There were also lots of people that did drills up and down the stair sections.

Yes! That too; I remember. I was at the School of Design in the 80s. I was very sad to see the bleachers go, but even more sad to lose the old field house.

2 Likes