Smoky Hollow Park

10 Likes

How about this idea (nevermind liability, just picture it).

Karla and I have been saying for a few years now that it would be super cool to have a tap room on that section of West St that overlooks the future park. With the idea of the bleachers, add that feature to the lower section of the tap room that would be covered by the same alcohol permit but separate from the park and divided by the creek. Go grab a beer and chill watching the kids play or maybe even more organized games. Maybe the have a small music venue.

15 Likes

I remember Riddick well too. I can’t believe the Field House is gone, it was a gem imho. You could walk right through the central arch for a long time. There is a tunnel right there too isn’t there?
Also – did they build labs or something under the stands?

Back to Devereux. Love that idea of saving/rebuilding some bleachers there. Also, I am on board with @OakCityDylan More Beer!! But I also thing this is a good place for some kind of cool cascade/waterfall. A nice water roar would help mask Cap Blvd noise.

5 Likes

I used to live in the Quad (Bagwell) and used that tunnel all the time to get to the Leazar Hall.

1 Like

The 3 early concepts shown at today’s open house. Concept 2 is most popular on the call but Concept 3 is more natural and you get a more creek experience. Concept 1 and 2 basically make the creek less part of the park overall but give more park land for activities.

19 Likes

I logged in around 8:45 and someone was asking about high speed rail, so I thought maybe things had gone a bit far afield (no pun intended). What are the blue areas, other than the creek itself?

Blue areas are possible water features as all the storm water from Seaboard Station area gets dumped into the middle of the future park.

5 Likes

Honestly, I would’ve asked about high speed rail if I was there; it’s more on-topic than you’d think. The federally-rubberstamped environmental study results for that project says the feds, state, county, and city all think the best path for the future train is to cut through the future Devereux Park.

Click here for the map from the FTA's Tier II EIS Record of Decision.

You can kinda see the SEHSR proposed right-of-way in this map from the environmental study; I highlighted the proposed rail (incl. the bridge over the park) in magenta and the Devereux site in green. From page 83 of appendix R02:

Comparing this with the map Francisco posted, it looks like Concept #1’s northern walkway(?) might not look too good (without some smart designing) if it ends up being under a future rail overpass.

8 Likes

Ah! Didn’t know that. I should have kept listening then.

That’s a shame because I’m immediately drawn to concept #3. What is the noticeable grey area at the bottom of concept #1 and in the middle of concept #3?

7 Likes

Hopefully it’ll be raised over the park and not through it. I really like the 2nd design.

2 Likes

Yeah I like # 3 best. It’s a more natureal flow of the creek, vs the straight sidelined path in the other two options.

5 Likes

Yeah we already have urban parks like Moore Square and Nash Square and Chavis Park and portions of Dix Park. Not enough water features or natural parks.

6 Likes

Did the webinar hosts say anything about other layouts, or mention any details about other aspects of this park? I noticed that concepts 1 and 3 have large, gray-colored areas, but I can’t tell if those are supposed to be paved surfaces or some sort of building.

Oh sorry, I forgot to mention that: that is supposed to be a bridge going over the park. I was mainly wondering about how out-of-place that bridge could look in the context of the park -though I guess that’s hard to think about when we don’t know what the park looks like :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

I think the grey area is just a paved area for open space probably for live music and food trucks. If there ends up being a bridge over the park I hope they incorporate art of some kind into its design or even make it a green bridge.

3 Likes

I’m leaning toward either 1 or 2. 3 just seems like it would turn most of the area into more swamp and less space for anything else.

Although, I like the idea of the creek being the focal point just don’t think it has the volume to be THAT much of a focal point. I guess I’m indifferent - just want something finally done there. And an observation tower.

2 Likes

https://abc11.com/society/a-forgotten-piece-of-downtown-raleigh-gets-closer-to-a-makeover/10591409/ Basic news article about the park.
What stood out to me though is that “best case scenario is for shovels to hit the ground in five years”
Not sure why, but I thought we were way further along than that.

4 Likes

I thought so as well.

Might as well get accustomed to that. It’s frustrating, but once you see the timeline from Moore Square, Chavis Park etc. you become appreciative they ever get built.

3 Likes

There were also slides showing the new bike lanes and greenway corridors associate with this development. I really like the avatar bicyclist in the far left corner performing the “Y” from YMCA like he just won a race.

12 Likes