South Street area Condos and Townhomes

Just to clarify, The Brannan does not have any retail. The condo portion of this stretch of buildings is only the “modern” looking red piece, and it has parking at the street level. The adjacent traditionalish building has retail and I think it’s office above that. I’m not sure if it was done by Lambert or someone else.

Also, the image you posted is of the back side that does not face a street. It’s currently a massive parking lot slated for future development, hence the flat facades.

Concept renderings for DurhamID master plan show office buildings here (not actual designs), so I imagine the facades shown in the above image will end up facing a service alley.

Lambert is also developing The Vega in dt Durham, which does have ground-floor retail. But to my knowledge, it is their only local project that includes it, so I share your concern.

4 Likes

I see! Thanks for the clarification and additional info!

Np! Also should’ve noted that I think they called out The Brannan because it is their only completed local condo project, not necessarily because they aim to replicate it. It was one of the first condo buildings to be built in Durham, and I think the market’s come a long way since then in what it can support.

2 Likes

Through several iterations of this project, I don’t believe there was ever a plan for retail on the ground floor. I thought the rezoning was just for 4 floors of condo instead of 3 in the east building?

1 Like

The Lynde site is showing 7 units under contract and a start date for Phase 1 of November 2020. So it looks like the date has been pushed on this project. Hoping it gets off the ground this year.

3 Likes

Do they have enough under contract to start? Also, I wonder how much cash those contracts required. If the cash isn’t enough to hold interest, and the future contracts are slow to come, some might drop and sacrifice their initial investment out of fear.

1 Like

I think the requirement is 6% on those units. So $36K on a $600K unit. I really hope that interest picks up once we get through this shut down. More residential choices downtown is a good thing for the area as a whole. I am sure the Covid 19 has pushed the start date for construction but hopefully it will pick up steam and be completed even if a bit later than first thought.

1 Like

What? Whud I say???

Well don’t get your panties in a bunch. I’d be thrilled if it turned out to not be the case.

“All the liberals” are the reason we currently have a growing, vibrant city full of diverse people, food, art, and music. But keep being a narrow-minded person.

6 Likes

Well first of all - that is not true, especially downtown.

Second.

Myself included thank you very much.

My point (tongue in cheek btw) was that the liberals are really embracing the “new normal” and I wouldn’t be surprised if they all jumped ship to the suburban life so they can more effectively “do the right thing.”

I find it ironic how swiftly open minded people will censor opinions they don’t agree with.

4 Likes

I’m a liberal, I’ll be practicing social distancing until this Corona sh*t is gone, this won’t last forever, and I have absolutely no intention to stop living in downtown Raleigh.

If you’re curious why I’m “embracing” social distancing. It’s because I have family members and friends that I love and care about that are immune compromised, I want them alive after all this is over. One of my best friend’s lost both her grandparents in a matter of 5 days to Corona Virus, it’s real, but seems like a group of people have “censored” out that people are actually dying to this awful virus and not taking it seriously. 80K deaths since March? We’ll be in six figures in a matter of 10 days or so.

It boggles my mind this has become a political debate. It shouldn’t be left vs right here. This is something we should be doing together to save lives.

P.S. - Let’s drop this and get talking about South Street Condos and Townhomes.

13 Likes

I’m not curious and I didn’t say we shouldn’t be social distancing.

I agree - its become political. The harder the Trumpers push to open up the more the Liberals say they aren’t ready.

At some point we have to open up and I hope we can get back to normal but I’m afraid that social distancing will become the new Me Too movement. I’d hate to be shamed online or labeled a closed minded far right neo-fascist because I’m unwilling to wait for a vaccine.

Fine - moving on…

4 Likes

It wasn’t political until the President started giving false hope “open by Easter” and etc. that’s when people started to protest stay-at-home orders. Especially since they are “no longer dying” in their eyes since the majority of people dying now don’t look like them

1 Like

That’s all I’m saying. Can someone change the subject back to the development news, thanks.

Is this the topic where we are supposed to discuss that open pit across from Boulted Bread? Whats up with that?

1 Like

Interestingly enough, the subject project will be another nail in the coffin that is driving out of the widest range of diversity on all fronts by restricting it further to those who can afford a condo starting at around $700,000. (that’s double tree fifty). FWIW I looked at a house on Falls Lake last night…something I never ever said I would do. 3 acres. walking bridge over a creek. 3/3 w/ 3300 sqft. Who wouldn’t consider it? Under 600k. Downtown is becoming blander and beiger by the day as the price points being filled are always/only 110% of yesterday’s highest priced option.

3 Likes

I share your concern about the insanely rapidly escalating prices per square foot of each subsequent project announced. I’m just glad that I’ve owned downtown for many years now.

2 Likes

FWIW, you’re comparing new to used. That property sounds very nice though

Sure there is depreciation eating at the appreciation, but this place is super nice and well maintained. My point is still that prices are greatly outpacing the median income in downtown and making it extra bland as a result. Here it is if curious.

2 Likes

That’s a really nice house. I absolutely love the outdoor pictures, too!

1 Like