South Street area Condos and Townhomes

Prior to the existence of South Saunders, Lake Wheeler (Rhamkatte Rd in those days) tied in at West St. Looking over a map, if Heritage Park were ever reworked, I think you could still drop West St down through there (like it used to), under Western, and align with Lake Wheeler, so you’d have a nice parallel route through downtown from Wade, under the tracks at Union soon hopefully, and on to Lake Wheeler. Seems like that would fix a lot in and around there, including getting some traffic off Boylan.

1 Like

fyi, this was done before they reworked them to condos. I’m hoping they retain this look though.

Anyone heard of any updates with this? I’m wondering if they’re waiting until their other project, West + Lenoir, down the street is complete.
http://www.chappellres.com/west-and-lenoir

I actually wonder if they are waiting on the Raleigh Architecture Office to be completed right next to the site or if now that they are changing the South Street project to condos if they’re going to try and pre-sell some of them first or at least take deposits. I’m not sure how that works with condo projects.

Stewart Engineering was out a week ago marking up Dorthea Drive which runs behind the dirt pit would the need to mark utilities a street away? There’s a sidewalk project that is planned for that street along with the 4th Ward Brownstones which will go in between the new Raleigh Architecture office and Dorthea Drive along S. Saunders so maybe its for that.

I just hope they start construction eventually, I’m tired of looking at the dirt and the construction fencing actually makes it a dangerous intersection if you’re trying to cross South walking up Saunders towards downtown.

I talked to a Stewart employee a few months ago on Dorothea and he said they were fixing the culvert for the stream there. I forgot about the brownstones. Hopefully they were there for both projects :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

I think the brownstones won’t start until Caraleigh Commons is complete which could be a while. But I keep hoping they start them sooner.

I think West+Lenoir was done by JDavis, not Raleigh Architecture Co. (Unless by “they” you were referring to the developer, about which I have no idea).

Raleigh Architecture is doing the adjacent Fairweather.

Well Lambert is the developer of it and they are also the developer for 611 W South, and they appear to be using Raleigh Architecture for 611 since there was a short lived rendering on the RA website so I personally assumed they were used for West+Lenoir too…but I am not sure.

I think West+Lenoir was done by Concept 8, unless I’m misunderstanding how these things get developed. http://www.concepteight.com/contractor-portfolio/neighborhood-development/

Regardless, maybe there’s just too much going on over here right now. I forgot about the Fairweather, which looks like it’s about 25% sold already.

Concept 8 seems to be the contractor. JDavis is the architect.

@Mark, yup, the rendering for 611 W South is still there on RA’s website. Curiously, I don’t see The Fairweather anywhere, which is strange because the scale of that project will be a game-changer for their portfolio.

Between these three projects, that area is going to be unrecognizable in a couple years.

Looks like the South Street Condos (aka the big hole in the ground) have gone in for their 5th submittal. It looks like there have been some changes to the exterior but I don’t remember what the original plans looked like but this seems to be a departure. At this point I don’t even care I’m just sick of looking at that big dirt pit.

1 Like

Expanding this topic to include more residential along South. I walked by the townhomes at West and Lenoir but are really on South. :wink:

6 Likes

More townhouses like these on the outskirts of downtown please!

4 Likes

There’s at least two more planned for this exact area, the south street condos and a set of 10 “brown stones” going in on the corner of South Saunders and Dorthea. Coupled with the S. Saunders/Dix and Kane development on Cabarrus, it’s going to be a busy little neighborhood.

2 Likes

I agree. In my opinion, this is the perfect transition building type to put between SFH neighborhoods and DT proper. That said, I am really over this brown and beige look that we’re seeing more of in downtown lately.

1 Like

I haven’t seen anything about brown stones at the corner of Saunders and Dorothea. Where did you see this?

Edit: Nvm I found it

It’s the same developer that built Dorothea Gardens and is building Caraleigh Commons so it might not start until Caraleigh is completed.

1 Like

I actually thought the exterior looked the same as the last plan but you may be right. I’m not sure what changed. There’s still 87 condos with the majority being 1 BR.

1 Like

Just moved to Approved with Conditions Appending Appeal 2-1-19. So I’m guessing if the developer doesn’t appeal the conditions they could start on Groundhog’s Day Eve ?

1 Like

Some big ass sidewalks are going in these should be all wrapped up by the end of May if not sooner.
In other area news, Cityspaces plans to break ground on their Ward 4 brownstones at the corner of Dorothea Dr and S Saunders in the fall. Maybe the South Street Condos will have started by then too.

4 Likes

I know someone moving to one of these. Making a significant change in their location and lot and house size. Will be interesting to see how they adjust.

2 Likes